1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Low Cost Flights to Vegas from UK

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Dearns, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dearns

Dearns Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all.

My wife and I went to Vegas last summer and while I've been before, it was my wife's first time. She well and truly caught the bug! As we're from the UK though, it can be quite expensive to travel - we paid £2000 ($3400) including 7 nights at the MGM which was one of the cheapest prices we could find. We're going to be travelling back to Vegas for my friend's 40th but that is 4 years off still and my wife has planted a seed about maybe visiting this year or next.

Here's the reason or my post - I've noticed that some airlines have been mentioned to offer cheap or special rate internal flights to Vegas (heard Spirit and Southwest.) This has got me thinking about how cheap we can make it to get to Vegas. Our local airport flies direct to Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia and Washington so we could change at any of these easily. Has anyone had any first hand experience with these and know what the rates are like or can point me in the right direction to look? We'd be looking at anytime in August this year or, looking more into the future, Easter 2015. As I'm a teacher these are pretty much the only times we could travel.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. dtm615

dtm615 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just as a heads up an "easy transfer" in Chicago is likely impossible with Southwest. Most, if not all European flights come into O'Hare(ORD), all Southwest flights leave Midway Airport(MDW). It takes about an hour and a half with transfer by "L" train or a pretty expensive 45 minute (would be my guess) cab ride. Midway is an "International" airport but it is used by airlines that generally only go to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean If you tried Chicago you would have to go Spirit, unless your airline flew into midway.

When you are talking about Chicago, I do generally take Spirit, you need to understand that is is absolutely a cheapo airline, you have to pay for all of your baggage so the flights are never as cheap as they look. That being said, I have paid less than $175 including baggage round trip in the dead of winter. However, You will have to watch closely to try that in August. Last year I went at the end of July and had to use a priceline "Name Your Price" to get a flight under $300 round trip, Spirit wanted over $325, but I was going on a weekend and Tuesday-Wednesday seem to be the cheapest both ways. However, generally speaking flights to Vegas are only cheap from October to January and flights are most expensive in June July and August since most Americans take their vacations then because the kids are out of school. That is not to say a deal could not be had in August.

3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You need to specify which New York and Washington airport(s) you can fly into.

Jet Blue and VirginAmerica have some non-stop fares that look reasonable out of JFK, and Southwest has some that look reasonable out of BWI ("Baltimore-Washington", but it's actually in Baltimore).

I'm defining reasonable as USD$200 or less.

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How on time are them long flights from europe? You wouldn't want to have a connection scheduled and then miss it because your flight from britain is an hour or two late, same with customs, that takes some time too doesn't it?

5. RC

RC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't fly to Vegas from any of the cities that you mention, but you could set up an account at site like airfarewatchdog and let them send you emails about the prices from all of these cities. Check it out.

6. Dearns

Dearns Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the advice so far - I'll definitely check out the websites mentioned. The Washington and New York airports are Dulles International for Washington and both JFK and Newark for New York.

We're both off work this week and my wife came home yesterday and said why don't we see how much it would be to go to Vegas - worked one out at £1500 inc. hotel (Quad) for Monday-Sunday via LA but that would mean flying to London and then onwards from there. This piqued my interest into how cheap we could get a round trip. The flights to the US fly early morning and tend to get there around midday or mid-afternoon so may give us some options with transfers.

My local airport (Manchester) also flies to Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto Pearson if anyone has any advice/experience of flying from there.

7. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may want to setup an alert on a site like Kayak.com for flights to those cities your airport services directly, then an alert for flights from those cities to Vegas. You can set the alert to email you everyday and see what the prices would be. (I use them to do just that myself.) Since you have a little time, you could get a better idea of what the fares would run.

8. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    try opodo for the uk.

also check on this site which you can set up to look at the fares for a month at a time

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

also just check out booking flights and hotels separately - that could make a huge difference in price.

generally though its a lot more expensive than it used to be - especially after the uk put another 100 on taxes for flights leaving the uk..

9. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, we also fly from MAN. We usually go twice a year for 6 to 8 weeks. I usually do an alert on kayak for the dates we plan on flying about 6 to 12 months in advance.

Next trip is direct with Virgin, but through Delta. 520 each return. Virgin were around 60 more for the exact same flight.

Our autumn (fall) trip is with US Airways for just less than 500 each. Sadly, the Virgin flights from MAN stop before we want to go home.

10. CJ's

CJ's Plumbing the depths of debauchery

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usualy book a week in August, I love that dry desert heat 42Deg C last year Phew! :faint:
    I have been every year since 2009 and have learned a few things on the way.
    Firstly, if you want a pacakge deal try lastminute.com my first couple of trips were through them and they work out quite competetive you just loose out a bit on back end comps because you dont book direct with the hotel, swings and roundabouts but good for budgeting.
    Try Trip advisor for cheap flights especially if you dont mind how many stops you have to make or how long it takes you to get there. Also Skyscanner are usefull. circa £450 :beer:

Me I fly direct from Gatwick now with Virgin, cant be arsed with stops and changing planes I just want to get there and start having fun asap:thumbsup: They fly direct every day with very few exceptions and their planes are top class.
    I think Thomas cook fly direct from Manchester but you probably already knew that.
    I usually pay around £600-650 economy in August plus about £70 to upgrade to extra legroom return ( very much worth the extra ). If you use Credit cards you can get a Virgin CC and all your shopping clocks up air miles that you can use towards flights so depending on your spends on plastic, especially if the next trip is for 2015, you could do very well on this.:ssst: I have yet to go this route as their APR is unacceptable but if you do as Martin says "pay it off IN FULL" you shouldnt go wrong.:evillaugh
    Hope some of this is of use I usually get my food and accom comped so it's just flight costs and bankroll to budget. Remember to get a players card and charge "everything" to your room UNLESS your doing a package then you need to be a bit more thoughtfull with your charges
    Good luck and enjoy, I do every time I go :wave:

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe British Airways has many flights into Philadelphia. From there, you can get a direct flight to Vegas on US Airways, American or Spirit. You would also get cheap flights out of BWI to Vegas. Jet Blue flies nonstop from New York's JFK airport and has some great fares. It seems flights from Newark, NJ to Vegas seem to be expensive.

Good Luck!

12. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you will find booking in the UK is just cheaper, trust me, been down that road a few times :)

Show me the money Jerry, show me the money!!!
  13. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you tried looking at flying direct from Dublin? I seem to remember that offered cheaper tickets for me when I was looking for my trip this year.

Fly into Dublin, change and then go direct from Dublin saved about £90-£100 each.

14. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In 25-30 I have always been early or on time apart from one occasion. I just made the connection but they had already pre-booked us on alternative flights just in case.

For booking tickets I have yet to find anything better than skyscanner.net and I have tried travelup, kayak, opodo, trivago, expedia, lastminute, booking.com and all the rest. Skyscanner generally has the most choice of flights.

I'd stick to booking a flight off there or somewhere rather than making multiple bookings as they don't really care about your connections if you book them independently.

15. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I help arrange the travel for a fair few of my friends on a poker forum I'm a member of, so I'm pretty adept at skimming through all the sites to price things separately, and also any package deals available on the required dates.

We all head out during the WSOP, so now that the schedules are being released they're starting to book their trips up for June, and I'd be happy to take a look for you at the same time.

If you'd like me to, just post or PM me your proposed dates and I'll take a look*

*Don't worry I'm not a travel agent angling to make anything from you :)

16. Jasons

Jasons Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi, we are flying in from Heathrow for Memorial Weekend in May, flying on US and changing at Charlotte. Means we clear customs/immigration there and then much easier on an internal flight into Vegas.

I recall our flights were just under £600 each..

17. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have gone via Philadelphia with US Airways twice and that was ok, I have also flown direct from Manchester with Thomas Cook and that was a great flight for the price and arriving in Vegas at lunch time, if your considering Chicago then make sure you have plenty of time between arriving in Chicago and your flight leaving as immigration is really slow and there are long queues, I have gone this way twice and the first time I missed connecting flight because of immigration queues.

18. Dearns

Dearns Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the help everyone. Going to have a look at all the options out there.

We flew direct with Thomas Cook last summer and it hey we're good flight times. Couple of things we weren't keen on we're the entertainment system (poor quality and the loop system they use) plus we felt a little hemmed in even though the legroom was good. We did enjoy the food though which was good for an airline meal!

19. JULIAN.UK

JULIAN.UK Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

i went in august 2013 for the 1st time and the cheapest i could find (non-stop with virgin atlantic economy) was 870.00 albeit from heathrow not gatwick. get the feeling i paid a bit much then.
    who did you book with?
    planning a trip in December this year and obviously would like to get there as cheap as poss :)

20. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is very expensive compared to swapping planes in the states and using a US carrier but direct flights at that time of year will cost more.

Check here: www.skyscanner.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.