1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

$20 Trick... for Car Rental?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by StuartUK, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey guys,

Any of you had experience of tipping the garage clerk a $20 and receiving a free upgrade to the next class ? (Mid-size upto Full, etc)...
    I use Dollar Express & Alamo 'Save Time' so go straight to the garage anyway..... Just wondering if anyone had tried the tip option ?

Show me the money Jerry, show me the money!!!
  2. Birdie7

Birdie7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A $5 bill or a $10 bill usually works.

3. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    cheers :)
    handy to know, and I'd be happy to tip $20, as if it makes my day getting a nicer car, it will make the garage clerks day nice too! :)
    (when I book a car, its always pre-paid with full insurances + fuel)

4. nbdysreal

nbdysreal Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20$ last trip got us upgraded from a minivan to a Tahoe for a Saturday to Saturday trip with Alamo. Best 20$ i spent in Vegas!

5. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $10 at Budget in December got me an upgrade from compact to a brand new 2014 Ford Fusion for 5 days. I never tried it at Dollar.

6. Birdie7

Birdie7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rent a car every time I go. If they're not gonna do it for $10, they're not gonna do it for $20. It depends on availability.

7. artrageous

artrageous Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'd have better luck tipping the attendants working the lot. They can sign off on any upgrade.

8. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone else had success with this ?
    My plan is to book a fullsize car or Inter SUV, then do $20 tip......
    Cant imagine they would let u book a car and upgrade through a trip to an SUV ?

9. nbdysreal

nbdysreal Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They can if they want to. Last Vegas trip from a van to a Tahoe with Alamo and a 20$. Trip before, booked an intermediate car through Enterprise and got a free upgrade to GMC Acadia. The lot attendant is who can give you the upgrade for free. At the counter they will try to charge you. Book the smallest you will be comfortable with just in case and ask for a "complimentary upgrade" with a tip you feel comfortable giving.

10. anonanon

anonanon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never thought to try this at the car rental, just at the hotels...Hmmmm....

11. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We always get an upgrade just by asking but only ask for an upgrade from a compact to a midsize. Don't know how it would work if you want a bigger car. This is at Alamo.

12. mckevin32

mckevin32 Low-Roller

Two weeks ago at Thrifty the lot attendant bumped me from a premium car to an SUV just for asking. I had made the request at the desk and they wanted to add 50% to the price, the lot guy did it for fee when I asked nicely. I toked him a $20 when it was all said and done.

13. Rumdranker

Rumdranker Grateful Lurker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My advice is grease every palm, although . You could get a really nice show seat too.

14. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be using Dollar now (am a DE member)....

In 1 hand, you get to the booth in the garage and if I am right, your car is already selected ???.........

But in the other hand, could I get to the booth, show paperwork, slip a $20, and ask if I can pick my car, a much bigger one that paid for! ;) (Full size paid for, or Int SUV)

Not sure if Dollar would allow you to change car if yours is already selected ?

15. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been using Dollar Express line for years now, and they will already have your name on a screen indicating which parking stall number your car is located. But that does not mean that you have to take that one - the attendant will allow you to choose any car from the same category (ie. Mid-Sized).

I have had to change their car selection most times (ie. sometimes the car smells as if they just sprayed 3 gallons of Febreze in it, or too many scratches/dents/miles on the car), and I simply grab the paperwork that is already in the first 'selected' car and move to a new one.

In a few instances, I had a coupon for a free upgrade, and had to show that to the booth attendant, and they simply told me to choose from the higher category.

So, bottom line, you can choose another selection, however, I have never tried a 'tip' to help improve my car class. If it works for you, please let us know, so we could maybe try it ourselves.

16. artrageous

artrageous Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used Dollar this past trip. I had reserved a full size vehicle. The only full sized left were Crown Vics. I asked the lot attendant for something else and she offered me an Ford Edge, an upgrade.

I asked if there would be any problem at the exit gate and she assured me that her initials on the paperwork was all that was needed.

The lot attendants are where the 20 dollar tip would work, if it works at all.

17. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    cheers for the advice guys, especially to do with being able to select another car if not happy with the pre-selected DollarExpress car.....

I will defo post my car rental stuff in June in terms of what deals I pull :)
    I have one of those BJ's travel 'Next class uprade' vouchers, although I know its hit and miss for that to work (as I wont be booking a car via BJ's travel!) :D :D

18. crazyeights

crazyeights Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20 Trick....for Car Rental?

It looks like the threads under the $20 Trick forum are hotel-specific, therefore I thought this might be the best forum to ask the following question:

Have you ever used the $20 Trick (successfully) for a car rental upgrade? Maybe to get a bit more specific (since this is Vegas-centric), has it ever worked for you at the McCarran Rent-A-Car Center?

It's been a handful of years since I booked a multi-day car rental and the prices are pretty heavy. For a five-day rental, I'm seeing $150/$200+ swings from economy to, say, convertible options. Thus, I'm thinking a $20 "investment towards increased vacation entertainment value" might be more than worth it. But, just curious to hear about others' experiences.

About 7 years ago (not in Vegas) I booked an economy rental from a local rental shop (laid back, not a chaotic scene like every airport-based rental pickup counter I've ever been to) and simply mentioned "that blue Explorer you have in the lot sure looks nice" and that was enough to get the free upgrade. Of course, the "check oil" light was on for all three days, so that I had me a little worried. :)

19. crazyeights

crazyeights Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Btw

The above "post reply" was actually submitted as a new post. I have no idea why it shows up as reply to an older post. Just fyi in case you think it looks out of place...cause it is! :) :)

20. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In October we tipped $10 and went from a compact to a convertible mustang. It might have been a fluke though because the clerk mentioned that they were actually out of compacts anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.