1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I am calling from windows tech. dept. about your computer.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got that call again,I 'm sure everyone knows thats the latest scam going around. It comes up as unknown name and unknown number. I wont publish my reply ,they must get called all kinds of nasty names. I think they tell you to go to a web site so they can hack your computer or something like that. Wish someone in whatever 3rd. world shithole they're calling from would blow up their stinky asses.

2. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, those guys are something else. Sadly, some people probably buy into the scam.

Then there's the guys that are calling from "Credit Services" about your credit card. And, let's not forget the guys from "Your Automobile Company" who want to help with making sure you have a car warranty in place.

My elderly mother is vulnerable to these scams. So, we reached an agreement that she gets my approval before she buys anything from a cold call or a knock at the door. She now literally says, "You have to speak with my son. Leave your number and he'll call you back." Over the past few years, I can't think of one of these guys that's left their number.

Bill

3. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, very frustrating. My father passed a year ago, and 5 years before that I had to basically take over his life. Was completely surprised at the "scams" he had fallen for. He had like 20 rings from subscribing to things. The house was filled with unread magazines still in the plastic bags.

He had subscriptions 3 years out because every time they would send a subscription renewal, he'd send them a check. I let Time magazine have it - told them I didn't appreciate them taking advantage of my elderly father.

Sorry - totally off topic, but it still pisses me off the way people take advantage of the elderly.

4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately it is not worth the time of any one who can actually do anything to actually do something.

Those magazine people are a nuisance too. Two weeks after signing up for a year subscription you get those letters. "Renew before your subscription runs out. " Not really a scam so much as preying on those who don't or can't keep track. :nono:

5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've received the windows dept call several times, depending on what I'm doing I'll try to keep them on the line as long as possible, same with the "rachel" from cardholder services one, I'll push the buttons to talk about my account and when a live person comes on I'll ask for rachel, they'll say she's not a real person and I'll play dumb and insist she just called me, etc. These callers are not just a nuisance, they are actually preying on the weak to rip them off, they deserve to be f'd with.

6. CenterfieldNine

CenterfieldNine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've jockeyed windows machines for years, so I will also keep them on the line as long as possible if I'm not busy while I work on other stuff. It's sort of background noise and I figure the more time they salivate on the line with me the less time they have to prey on others who might actually be clicking on the things they say to.

It's pretty fun to see how long they will stay on the line because I just can't seem to figure out how to get this virus installed on my machine! :Þ

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yup, first you say you mistyped something, then just act confused, then say "I have to get my glasses, might take a min, etc". Then you hang up and they'll call back, I'll ask if they hung up on me, finally I'll say(after maybe 30 min) " I'm not sure I can trust you, how do I know if this is legit", it's quite fun really.

8. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am suprised people still answer their phones. I have no problem not answering my phone. If someone wants to call, their number will be in the phone already. It their number isn't there, be prepared to talk to a machine.

9. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep - that's what was happening with my mother. And, she was getting hit up by all the charities (though she was in need of assistance herself). It was like she was on some master call list for telemarketers.

Bill

10. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's my stance as well. If I don't recognize the number or Caller ID tells me the caller is unknown - I simply don't answer. If it is something important - they'll leave a message.

Bill

11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of us dont have caller ID.

12. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Understood.

Caller ID really is a worthwhile feature and I recommend it. It's like having a peephole on your front door. Heck, we don't let just anybody in our houses, right? Well, now we don't have to let them in on the phone either.

Bill

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let it ring through. You can pick up if it is someone to whom you wish to speak, or call them back when they leave a message. If this is problematic because you're getting oodles of calls then CID would be a cheap and wise investment.

14. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was getting the ones for the extended car warranty

finally I told them OK I want it for my 1974 chevy truck with 465,879 miles on it

the first guy that actually was on the line when the call came actually said "damn" when I said the mileage....I then responded "yea it is a real piece of crap this warranty will be great"

he took all the info down about this totally fake truck and then passed me off to someone else......when I told him the mileage he hung up on me :evillaugh:beer::drunk::wave:

that was the end of those calls......just recently the ones for a free home alarm have started and I messed with them as well and had people trying to call me back all day one day and I would get half way through with them (totally fake city and address from when I was 12) and then hang up on them......they finally stopped calling that day, but tried again the other day

on my damn cell too.....I am pretty sure it all came from a chain restaurant frequent diner club, but can't figure out which one yet.......I think they must have someone on the inside that steals the numbers of those that sign up and sell them

15. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LMAO!! I just got this call today!!

All I heard was your thread title from a guy in an Indian accent and I hung up. This is one of few times I got Unknown called and name in quite some time.

They must be using an Indian call center and putting in work.

16. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    about 30 minutes after I posted the above story I got the call from the "free home alarm" company that has been the one bugging me lately

calls come from 1-234-567-890 (that is right not enough numbers) and that was today

other days was unknown or 956-111-2345

the guys that actually called back after I lead the alarm people on the first time came from 972-528-0212 and 972-455-8642 (these are legit numbers with a dallas area code and I promptly signed each of them up for an online wake up call)

the call today I started out asking the girl what she was wearing, but she was so into her script that I had to ask her 4 times before she realized I was asking her something then she was confused as to why I was asking her what she was wearing....she finally said cloths and when I said what kind she said warm because it is cold out.....when I ask if she was single she passed the phone off to a supervisor who tried to go into the script, but then answered me that she was not single and that she had warm cloths on as well boots and a jacket and she seemed confused as to why I was asking....then when I ask where she was located she said dallas then when I ask her out she put down the phone and told the other (I think) that they could hang up, but it took a bit for her to hang up I think she was waiting for me to hang up first since at many call centers hanging up shows up in the metrics poorly.....but they finally hung up first

17. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After my dad died my mom was getting all these calls from local charities crying that they needed $$. What was worse (and I think unethical) was that the probate lawyer kept hitting on my mom to donate to his church and other causes. Since he was doing my dad's probate my mom felt "obligated" to donate a few thousand to his cause. What a scam, but he got his as he passed away not long after that.

I have an answering machine and I never pick up the phone (I turned off the ringer too) unless I know the person leaving a message (no message, no pick up). I don't have caller ID but don't care, if they don't leave a message it doesn't matter to me. My answering machine makes a slight noise when it picks up so I know when a call is coming in, usually between 5 pm and 8 pm.

I do have some funny messages though, one from the "IRS" claiming that I owe them money and need to get back to them or face severe penalties. I regularly get a robocall message that it is my third and final notice that they can clear up my credit problems (wish I could get their number just to put them on the do not call list) but I just delete the message when I hear the first few seconds of it.

I'm thinking of turning off my phone and answering machine as it gets closer to election time, too many robocalls from politicians and political groups.

On my pc, once and a while I get the dreaded FBI screen that supposedly locks my pc unless I pay them a "penalty" to unlock it. I immediately unplug my pc and run malwarebytes in safe mode to clean up my pc just in case.

btw, I just got this email a couple of days ago, not sure if it is real or bogus:

IMS List Management Service EMPS Opt-Out Notice

Your EMPS Opt-Out has expired.

You may resubscribe to the email opt-out by clicking here: http://www.ims-dm.com/cgi/optoutemps.php

18. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They called me from Ontario Canada on Super bowl night about 9pm. I didnt answer, went on the internet to the 1800 calls website and saw that its usually a middle eastern guy who says that your computer has been hacked and the government will be filing charges on you soon if you dont let him in to remove the virus. Alot of folks replied that he called them names and cussed them out for not letting him in. One time he said he was in Washington DC and phone said call was from Canada. Asked why that was and he flipped out on the person saying he would send them a computer with a bomb in it and it will blow up and kill them! Guy is nuts, and nothing you can do but block it and dont answer if you get called again!

19. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope he calls me

I just love cursing at people from wherever. The main thing is that people dont fall for any of these scams and are aware of any elderly people in the family who might. I usually hit the on button and the off button when I see all these calls on CID.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
  20. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite line to the computer guys about my pc problems......"my computer isn't even on right now, so why do you think I have a problem?" They usually go away after that.

I'm not nearly as much fun for these scammers as you guys are.....if I do answer the phone and get one of those weirdos, I just set the phone down on the counter and walk away. When I come back in about 20 minutes, there is usually nobody there. :evillaugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.