1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Would I like Absinthe?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by TRN, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I visited Vegas a few yrs ago and saw Zumanity, and absolutely hated that show. It's the only Cirque show I walked away from wanting my money back. To us, Cirque is about the acrobatics, the lights, music, stage, and production value. We found Zumanity to be a waste of time, as it had very little of any of those things. We aren't 'prude' and didn't find the content offensive, just nothing struck us as humorous or entertaining about it.

That said, everyone seems to really like Absinthe. I am told it is "very similar" to Zumanity. Can someone who's seen both, and can understand where I'm coming from on Zumanity (even if they don't agree) explain this to me, and tell me if you think I'd like the popular Absinthe show?

Thanks...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not seen Zumanity. Absinthe is pretty crude but it will keep you laughing the entire show. Let me put it to you this way, I actually do not like going to shows much at all, I have absolutely no interest in broadway shows, one act, plays, etc. whatever. That being said, I would pay to see Absinthe almost every time I'm in Vegas, it is has a lot of emotion wrapped into one show. I highly recommend you go see it and I can almost guarantee you won't regret it.

Edit* I actually went to Absinthe because of the things I read about it on here. Took a buddy and turned out to be worth every dime spent and more. It is truly a good time.

3. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll second what KBT said. As long as you aren't overly sensitive or overly PC you'll love it.

4. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you hated zumanity i would not go ,abstinthe is like zumanity on sterionds

5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't compare it to Zumanity or other Cirque shows.

The acrobatic acts are pretty impressive and very close-up, but they are only a part of the show.

There are also a fair number of sketches in between and they are, as others said, very crude humor.

If you are there just for the acrobatics I'm not sure it will be your thing. Not being offended by racy jokes is one thing, but for the show to be worth it, you'd have to find them ENTERTAINING I think.

6. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Zumanity in my opinion was horrible and I loved absinthe they are in no way similar other then they both have adult content.

7. CaliMike

CaliMike “My home away from home”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Way better than Zumanity. I would not go see Zumanity again even if given a free ticket. I would go see Absinthe again in a heart beat.

8. CJ's

CJ's Plumbing the depths of debauchery

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im glad I'm not the only one who walked out on Zumanity, plus my GF. Very rare for me to spend good money on a show and not see it through to the end but this did nothing for either of us and I have seen a few shows in Vegas.
    AS others have said I wouldnt go again even if it was a free ticket, havent managed to see Absinthe yet tho.:Þ

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow - reading this makes me wonder what shows I have seen.

My wife and I have seen both. Zumanity was, well different. An adult cirq sort of. It was pretty much all sensual type stuff.

Only part of Absinthe is sexual (very sexual, and less sensual). Other parts of the show are geared to adult but not overly sexy. Lots of other stuff that more cirq like.. actually more circus like.

Zumanity was just okay. Absinthe was great.

10. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Watched a few clips on YouTube, it looks like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the feedback here - if I end up going I'll follow up in this thread.

11. ranchette

ranchette Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much are the tickets for Absinthe show? Are there any discount websites?
    What seats would you recommend?

12. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I loved absinthe! Hated Zumanity. I'm not a prude but why pay money to see two dudes French kissing? I can go to Paris and see that for free.

Anyway Absinthe is hilarious! Very skilled acrobats and you're within just a few feet. Highly recommended!

13. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the cheapest way to get tickets is just go to the main ticket booth and get a $20 off coupon they hand out. I can't remember the exact cost but I wanna say I paid $75 for my ticket. All seats are pretty much the same/not a bad seat in the venue.

Super funny show, going to see it a second time next month.

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The $20 off coupons are readily available. If you want to book in advance there is almost always a Travelzoo offer where you can get the same discount. That's what I used last year. Unless you're really short your seat won't matter. There are only a few rows but the rows are not elevated. I guess if you have really long legs or are really heavy you might have a problem as you are packed in tight. VIP seats will put you at a table behind the main rows. But as said above there are no bad seats. It's a small place.

15. OKC Gal

OKC Gal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also think it has to do with your age. It is the most raunchy show I've ever gone to. The acrobats are very small in amount compared to a Cirque show. It's all about the laughs due to the raunchy bits. I probably would not recommend it. I'm 54, and not a prude.

16. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw it for the 3rd time this week

Cheapest tickets with the 20$ coupons are 86.90 tx and fees included

I got 4th row( row 1 is vvip and row 2-3 are vip)

Whats not to like

[http://[URL=http://s432.photobucket.com/user/nkotbfreak/media/168_zps2b663615.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

17. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to concur with many of the posters here.

Seen Zumanity, and Eh...take or leave it. No desire to see it a second time. Absinthe, on the other hand, was worth every penny.

My wife is an innocent little thing and she had a blast. I find her to be a good barometer for me personally but also in shows. I'm finicky. She doesn't overthink, but is considerate. And, she felt the overall show was a hit.

Looking forward to seeing it again if we end up going back this year.

18. maxnew40

maxnew40 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am 52 and I loved it. I don;t think it is an age thing. Comedy is a very personal thing. Myself I cannot understand how anyone finds Jim Carrey funny at all in any way, however millions of people think he is just a the best comedic actor ever. Absinthe is a sort of twisted irreverent comedy that is not for everyone.

-Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.