1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tried in and out at last...

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by wigwam_salesman, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...hmmm.

Over-hyped I feel.

The double double burger is not bad but the fries were pretty average.

Have I missed something good off the menu?

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had In-N-Out yesterday. I'm a native, it runs in my veins. We were out running errands, needed some grease-fuel to help us survive Costco.

Double-Double grilled, fries, strawberry shake.

Guess where the place excels is if one is bombing down the interstate needing a fix, and the exit offers Carl, Mac, the King, Wendy and Jack. That's where In-N-Out gets its regional chops. And it is more of an experience with the whole beach/CA ethos. Put a D-D grilled up against a BigMuck or what not …

And I do think its employees are more attentive, cleaner and more articulate than you get at the other joints, which is a reflection on the pay scale.

But at the end of it all, it's not like a life-altering stop at Notre Dame. It's still just a fast-food joint.

Now Pup 'N' Taco ...

3. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I need a bottle of gin to survive costco. I invariably come back with a 5 foot tall stuff koala that my GF thinks is the most amazing soft furnishing in the world until a week later when it gets dumped in the garage. Honestly, we could start a f**king inanimate petting zoo with the crap she has put in the back of my car.

On the plus side, the child in me loves strapping one into the seatbelt in the rear seat for the ride home.

EDIT: As a tourist, I actually prefer carls Jr or JITB. Is that a shooting offence?

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No... It's a decent product, but a "must have"? I dunno...

Carl's Jr. is a good fast-food burger... I agree

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plush and Furry? Kinky, wig, kinky!!

No shooting today. Sometimes folks just gotta fuel up. Might as well get what you prefer. I can see you QueenHuggers trying this stuff out once when you get over here. I just don't see you as the type to put any of this stuff on a must-do-in-Vegas list you hand out to your mates.

6. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very witty. Did you come up with that yourself?

That was a dry English retort by the way. I actually found it very funny. I just don't have a more reliable comeback than sheer sarcasm.

7. justmare

justmare High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG, I SO miss Pup 'n Taco! I worked there for a few months as a second job to save some extra money for a three week trip to England when I was 19. The best damned refried beans and hot sauce on the planet! Nobody makes 'em like that now.

As far as In N Out goes -- I, too, feel they're over-hyped. I have one literally right around the corner from me and we might go there once every couple/few years. Carl's Jr is a bit farther from the house and if we want a fast food burger that's where we go. (I worked at Carl's Jr for over a year when I was 16/17.) I prefer the char-broiled burger to the grill-fried burger.

8. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fries at in n out are not good. The "double double" is the signature item. It's pretty good for $3-4, much better than MCD, but in the end it is a fast food burger. No real reason for any hype.

9. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always order my fries well done.

10. worldtraveler661

worldtraveler661 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer In n Out as it is much fresher than most of the other fast food burgers from the other chains. Better tasting or not, thats all subjective. I rarely eat fast food but if I'm going to, I'd rather have it from a place that has fresh vs frozen fries.

11. -(J)-

-(J)- Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like after eating in-and-out in soCal for at least 20 years, it's lost it's luster.

I once (actually twice) ate a 10X10. It comes in one of the hats they wear.. Never, never again!!

Not my photo but here is what it looks like...
    [​IMG]

Do they have The Habit in Las Vegas?? I really think it's got a leg above in-and-out. Believe it!!

12. Happily

Happily High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I LOVE In N Out! The fries are terrible. I never get them. Double Double animal style is where it's at! Don't expect the heavens to open up for $3, and you won't be disappointed.

13. worldtraveler661

worldtraveler661 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ALot of the comparisons arent really of the same level.
    The price of an in n out double double is about $3.80 Compare similar priced burgers at similar styles of establishments.

If you really want to try a real gourmet style burger, IMO the best are at:
    DW Bistro
    Bachi Burger
    BLT
    Burger Bar

Those burgers are on the $8-12 price range but you get what you pay for and theyre worth it.

14. mgill1974

mgill1974 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a HUGE IN N Out fluffer and always have been.

However, it is FAST FOOD!!

15. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, In and Out has a good burger - but then so do many other places. As others noted, the fries aren't good and are a deal breaker for me.

I hate to admit it, but McD's has the fries I like. Their burgers suck though - another deal breaker for me.

Bill

16. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a (semi) fast food burger, I like In-n-Out. Fresh ingredients, good sauce, and I like the soft bun, the sliced onion and the leafed lettuce. Plus, it is cheap. However, I agree that their french fries are not very good.

Any good chef will tell you that to make crispy fries, they must be fried twice: once to cook and dry the potato, and, after a resting period to drain and cool, a second time to crisp up the outside. In-n-Out "well done" fries are simply left in the fryer for a longer time until the outside gets darker brown, but because it is still a single frying process the moisture content inside the fry remains too high. The potato steams inside and makes the outside soggy, unless they fry it until all of the moisture is gone, but then you might as well eat over-cooked potato chips.

At-In-n-Out if you look to the right side of the fryers you can see the guy slicing the raw peeled potatoes using a piston-action mechanical chopper. (He's usually soaking wet from the water bath for the cut potatoes.) Most of the time, the guy is working very fast and not orienting the potatoes vertically but just tossing them on the cutter, and the potatoes tend to roll on their side before being cut. Plus, the potatoes are rather small to begin with. The result is that the cut fries tend to be sideways cut and short, with a lot of end scraps.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. A true Belgian fry. Slightly differing temps with the two dips, as well. I would guess that some places that fancy themselves fancy burger joints likely don't do this. It's a bistro thing. (And a home thing.) Mmmmmmmm.

18. Haileylayne

Haileylayne Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love In N Out! How you order your food definitely changes everything though!
    I get both my burger and fries Animal Style and I don't think they would taste "amazing" or anything if I didn't. Without the sauce, cheese, onions, etc. on the fries, they really are terrible.

19. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, I find InO massively overhyped but it's not bad either.

I'd take Five Guys over them for a burger either way.

I haven't had Hardees (Carl's Jr) in ages.

I also like to hit Raising Cane. We don't have those on the east coast.

20. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^ I quite like In n Out :thumbsup:

Obviously the burger is superb, but I also like how straightforward it is. No mucking about. I'll have that one. Job done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.