1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas for the non-drinker

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Lhammer28, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ive been to Vegas 7 times and all 7 of those times I was shit-faced 85% of the time.

Now, I am going in 2 weeks and I am unable to drink...or smoke...

Gambling/smoking/drinking, to me, go hand in hand.

Ive thought about just cancelling my trip since I really don't have to go, hubs is going for work....but I need to get out of this damn WI weather for a little bit!

What's Vegas like from a sober perspective?!? (I guess Ill find out soon enough!)

2. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't really know how to compare it since I have not done it the other way.

Vegas to me is a fantasyland. Gives a natural high. But if drinking is what you like, I think you may be disappointed. I may have them once or twice a trip but frozen yogurt, gelatos and ice cream give me a sugar spike and temporary mood boost especially after a loss. Also I like virgin drinks like Shirley Temple. Mmm grenadine.

3. Rumdranker

Rumdranker Grateful Lurker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can still gamble and still get "free" drinks. Water, your favorite soft drink, coffee or Virgin drinks are all options.
    Also you can't enjoy the weather inside, get out and stroll the strip. Check out some places you haven't been or some old haunts that maybe you were too wasted to remember.

I still sip but my goal is no longer to get as functionally smashed as possible.

4. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know what you mean about the weather this winter we live just south of you in Racine.

I don't know how to answer this one. I'm rarely drunk anymore in Vegas but I'm much older than you. I do have fun watching the drunks from a sober perspective. I would say you could spend more time at the pool but probably you won't have pool weather. I think a spa day with facial and massage is in order. Definitely go it's worth it just to get out of the snow cold and slop of a Wisconsin winter.

TomTWI

5. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it all depends on why do you go to Vegas in the first place. Sounds like you want to do some gambling and get to a warmer climate for a few days. That's all still available even if you're not drinking and smoking.

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been with plenty of non-drinkers and they seem to enjoy things just fine... but being a drinker, I think it'd be a little weird for me not to drink... the two just go hand in hand.

7. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think since I'm going to have a car, I'll be checking out some places I never made it to...or don't remember ;-) I love to gamble, it's just going to be breaking the habits while gambling!
    I might have to hit up a spa since I usually don't want to give up gambling time while there! Might as well!

I am looking forward to watching people in their drunk state & be happy I'm not waking up with a hangover!

8. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So is it a boy or a girl? :thumbsup: Hope that is the case,not something about medicine w/you..
    You'll be fine and maybe make some better gambling decisions along the way.
    Have a great trip!!

9. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never been a smoker. But, last trip I could hardly drink because I had nasty headaches which turned out to be high blood pressure. Hopefully I can drink this next trip.

I think you're doing the right thing in understanding it's going to be different. Honestly, it could be your best trip yet.

I think you want to be honest with yourself about your smoking and/or drinking triggers. Keep busy. Explore some things you might like. Try the spa. Spend some time at the pool. Stuff like that. Whatever you would have liked to do but you were busy boozing and smoking your brains out.

I'm excited for you. Please report back and let us know how it went.

10. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not that, yet.... I don't want to mess anything up. Im sure I could get away with drinking a glass of wine one night but I haven't even drank caffeine in a week (which is KILLING ME!)

Ill know before Vegas if we have the go ahead. I have had so much difficulty trying so I don't want to risk anything. But Im just preparing myself for either outcome & the more & more I think about it, It will be very interesting from the "Other side"

Yes, I did think about how when were drinking and gambling, we tend to make bad choices so I was thinking maybe this will be the time I walk away with money!!!

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spa = relaxation = loving feelings towards my husband = :wink2:

Give it a try.

12. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I definitely second your thoughts about visiting a lot of off strip things with the car. When you'll be able to drink again, it'll be that much harder/more expensive to get to those areas safely.

13. lithium78

lithium78 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have friends who don't drink and some who don't even gamble who still have a great time in Vegas. As others have mentioned, you can get pretty much any non-alcoholic drink you want while you are playing. Lots of people get water or a soft drink instead of cocktails. The spa idea is also very nice and relaxing. I would also recommend Siegfried and Roy's Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat at the Mirage if you like animals and you want to enjoy the nice weather outside. I always visit the Secret Garden when I go out to Vegas because I love the big cats.

14. BearcatBJ

BearcatBJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I had to guess the reason she's not drinking would also limit her intake of sugar and caffeine, so the sodas and virgin cocktails would be out too.... I know that vegas wouldn't be the same for me if i wasn't sitting there in a haze, drinking. and having a smoke while gambling. I would go as others have said to do things you wouldn't be able to being a drunken degen on your future trips!

15. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny you mention that because I do not drink or use drugs. But I figured out a long time ago that
    with the right combination of caffeine and sugar in your system you'd think you were on drugs haha!

16. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup :cry: But I think I might have to spurge one day!

Im currently looking into spas off strip and not in a hotel, those prices were outrageous!

Thanks for all the input!

17. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol I am the same way. That's gotta be tough for you not to be able to drink. I know if I couldn't drink I wouldn't even bother going to Vegas, it just wouldn't be the same.

18. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't drink or smoke. I just don't like it personally.. alcohol doesn't agree with me. I don't party either and I still love Vegas.

I love shopping, gambling, sightseeing, shows, spas.. I even like just relaxing in my room at night. A couple of my trips last year I had a room with a spa tub, that was nice.

I go to Vegas a LOT. Some of my trips I even just go to the movies.. or we go out to Red Rock, or the Neon Museum, walk around Downtown. Don't think that everything has to be glamourous.

I guess my advice would be relax, and you don't need to stay out till 4 am drinking There are plenty of things to do that don't involve alcohol.

19. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here. Lol....well maybe not that bad.

I always go in a group. That's not to say we don't break off from the group but everyone is pretty much drinking.

20. rob889

rob889 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^This sums it up...nothing beats waking up feeling refreshed in Vegas.

Enjoy the sights, people watching, gambling, and vast array of food...so much to do in vegas without alcohol...I encourage this sort of behavior as a DD is priceless :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.