1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Being the odd man at the blackjack table

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by SW, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For discussion purposes, let's assume that everyone at the table is of equal skill level.

Do you mind playing at a table where all the other players are betting significantly more than you? Significantly less than you?

2. oldcrabtom

oldcrabtom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't bother me.......should it ?

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's very seldom that this situation arises in my experience. But when it does, I don't care a bit.

We all gamble the amount with which we're comfortable. The red chip, to a low roller, means the same as the black chip does to a mid roller and the same as a flag means to a High Roller. We all want to win whatever amount we choose to gamble.

I've never understood folks who complain about having to play with people playing for less than they are, because low rollers don't take it seriously or some similar nonsense. As if the low roller doesn't care about winning...:rolleyes2:

4. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't bother me. In the past 6 months I've played with people playing $10 and someone playing $15,000 on 3 hands at once.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope, doesn't bother me... I play well enough not to feel like I'm hurting' anyone else's game.

6. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll never be bothered by someone betting smaller than me.

I prefer when I'm on a game that I'm not 100% familiar with that I'm not playing with people betting a lot more than me. I've never had a bad experience, I just don't like holding people up.

The only main difference I've seen in other players is if I'm betting more than them, they ask my advice more often when they are unsure. I have no issues with this, so I welcome it.

7. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had an issue with it either way, nor played with anyone who did.

The more common issue is when someone betting big takes objection to another player who does not play by the book and is betting small. They somehow feel that because their bet is bigger, the other player should bend to their wishes on how to play.

8. QIKFIX

QIKFIX Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If i'm playing red chips and someone decides to play towers of black chips at the same table that is their choice.

They could easily step it up to a table with higher minimums.

Their choice.

9. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

I am usually the little man at the BJ table, but when I play UTH, i usually have the rest of the table covered (exception being Aria, Bellagio, or MGM Grand). I don't mind being at either end or in the middle. I play at a level comfortable for me at that particular game...other people's chip color has no effect. Although, I do like playing with people who are betting big...makes the game more exciting!

10. vacationaddict

vacationaddict Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't bother me. Seems like every time I sit at a blackjack table with good rules someone sits down and starts playing stacks of blacks.

11. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, so it wasn't BJ but last November I was at a $25 min Pai Gow table and guy sitting next to me was betting 10K a hand with about 80k in chips in front of him. My buy in of $400 and $25 chip did look a little small but he was very nice guy and seemed just as happy when I hit my straight flush as when he won a hand. I did think it was funny that his commission on a winning hand was more than my entire buy in. :D

12. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I commonly play multiple blacks in the HL rooms and always sit at 3rd. I have encountered really big bettors who scrutinize my play closely. Occasionally a drunk idiot will try and blame me for a bad run of cards but, way more often than not, as soon as other players see I know what I'm doing it doesn't matter to them.
    Never matters to me. I've been doing this a long time and can play in my sleep. Probably have on an occasion or two.

13. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it doesn't bother me either way, as long as they are of equal skill? or at least some what reasonable.

last time I played to "cool off" I was on 3rd base. kids come and buy in 15 dollars at a time.

his group of friends

"dawgg why you acting like big mother fker after winning 10 bux"
    "chill, I got this"
    "damn I told you, you were going to lose"

I hate playing with people that have friends that bitch and complain. Limits do not matter.

fk

14. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't matter to me.

The only thing that really pisses me off is if I'm on a good run and some idiot jumps in to place a single bet then leaves. Totally f*cks sh*t up.

15. Drambler

Drambler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as everyone is having fun, you can bet less or more than me. I've seen thousands thrown out while I'm playing $15 a hand.

16. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I won't play if even one person is betting much more. Skill level doesn't matter because it seems the more a person bets the more they seem inclined to tell everyone else how we are all causing them to lose. :rolleyes2:

17. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Whatever table I play on I tend to bet around the table minimum, whether its $200 or $25. So I'm usually betting less than others at my table and if anything I like that better. When I'm next to someone betting thousands per hand I feel a rush watching their hand play out without taking any risk. It just adds to the fun.

18. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy it when there are bigger betters at the table. I don't mind playing with people betting less either, unless they pull nonsense like staying on hard eight (5-3 during my last visit to Wynn at a $25 table), leaving me with their back wash cards at 3rd base.

During my first trip to Vegas, I was at a $25 table and had fun playing with these Teamsters in town at a convention at LVC. This was at the Riviera which was still a decent place to stay and play (over 20 years ago). They were pulling markers $5K a pop, playing the right way but only one guy was pulling decent cards. They remained pleasant and it was fun playing green along side purple and black.

19. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love to play with big bettors at the same table - that usually allows me to significantly increase my bet spread and still stay under the radar...

20. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I don't care.
    There was this one time playing $10 DD blackjack (at Stardust, I think) when it was only me and a $500/hand player. I was at 3rd.
    He doubled against a dealer 2. I had 12.
    I showed him my cards and said - "You've got a grand out there. It's your call". His reply? "You already know how to play that."
    I hit and drew a 6.
    Dealer did, in fact, have a 12 & he busted.
    $500 player tossed me a green and said "Nicely done".
    Loved it.

Annual Spring Trip!
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.