1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slots Four 2,3,4 with any A,2,3,4 kicker.. What are the odds in VP? (TDB)

Discussion in 'Slots' started by wrxrob, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrxrob

wrxrob High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To start, I'll say that in my 10 years of playing video poker, I've still never hit a Royal Flush. I've heard somewhere that one gets a royal flush about once every 650,000 hands or so.

But what are the odds of a premium quad such as quad 2,3,4 with any A,2,3,4 kicker?

The other day, I was playing Triple Double Bonus... a game I usually stay away from due to 3OAK only paying 2 vs. 3 in most other games. But this time, I think DDB wasn't available on this machine.

I was dealt 2, 2, 4, 7, 2.

I held each of the three 2s, but did NOT hold the kicker. After hitting deal, I received 2, 2, 2, 4, 2 :thumbsup:

Its interesting that had I held the kicker, the 2 would've still been dealt.

This is the 2nd best video poker hand I've ever received, and it paid a handsome 2,000 credits (playing just quarters).

I'm guessing the odds are somewhere around 1 in 100,000 hands or so??

2. TDB Aces

TDB Aces Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just going from memory, I believe these hands hit approximately 1 in 17,000. I play a lot of TDB and it is a lot of fun to hit these bonus quads with kickers. It is hard to get used to, but the correct play is to hold the kicker when dealt a kicker with three Aces, 2's, 3's or 4,s.

The odds of hitting a royal flush are about 1 in 40,000. The 1 in 650,000 you mention is the odds of having a royal flush dealt to you.

Over a twenty year period, I have had 50 royals. You will get one eventually. Good Luck!

3. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not just odds, but the variance as well. A premium quad will have a higher hit frequency on JoB (not premium pay in this case) vs a TDB or DDB machine.

So the odds would be different depending on what VP game variation you are playing.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One in 17k is closer to quads with a kicker for a particular rank, but there are three ranks to make quads with 2-4s.

When not holding the kicker (correct for DDB):
    Four Aces w/a kicker: 1 in 16,236
    Four 2-4s w/a kicker: 1 in 6,983

When holding trips and a kicker (correct for TDB):
    Four Aces w/a kicker: 1 in 14,206
    Four 2-4s w/a kicker: 1 in 5,796

Exact numbers slightly change with paytable, these were both the numbers with perfect play at 9/6 paytables for both games (DDB for not holding the kicker and TDB for holding the kicker).

5. cf84

cf84 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You would NOT have necessarily still gotten the 2 had you held the kicker. Newer VP machines are always "shuffling" cards via the RNG before you hold and hit the draw button. They aren't dealt off the top of a deck like real life. Good hit though!

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. Good button pushing! :evillaugh

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Correct! In the old days the machine dealt 10 cards, 5 up 5 down and nothing you did mattered, the under cards were already there. They also used to deal 5 up & 10 down if the double up option was active.
    No more, the RNG is always running.

8. wrxrob

wrxrob High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice username! :nworthy:

I rarely touched TDB in the past, but will probably play a lot more in the future. I agree that its difficult to hold the kicker, but if that is proper play, then its worth it!

Also, very interesting about the RNG. I didn't hardly pause before making my move, because I didn't expect the spectacular result! Whenever I get dealt 4 to the royal, I ALWAYS pause for a minute or two (sometimes even break out the video camera/phone to capture result as it happens:thumbsup:), before hitting the deal button, and never get the royal. Perhaps in the future, I'll just do it, and maybe the results will work out better

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stupid RNG!!!!!

10. higgiel

higgiel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice draw!

There are only a few occasions I can recall when I purposely waited for the draw and got the desired card. In the vast majority of cases, my big hits have come from proceeding with my standard rate of play. I compare the "wait for it" play to the "pick a tile" bonuses offered by so many slot machines. I don't like those types of bonuses because I feel like a sucker when I fail to pick the high value item. Likewise, I take it personally when I purposely "choose" the RNG nanosecond to try for that big hand and fail. I prefer to think the RNG likes my standard speed of play and rewards me for it. Crazy? Of course. But it's working for me. In 13 years of VP play, I've had 70 royals. :wave:

11. Guardian

Guardian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back from Caesars Windsor. Spent the last two nights there. While playing quarter TDB I was dealt 4 deuces and a four kicker within 30 minutes of being there. Gotta luv it. Couple hours later held three to the royal and drew my first royal of the year. It was a good weekend.

12. higgiel

higgiel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well done, Guardian!:thumbsup:

13. mgill1974

mgill1974 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    don't know the odds, but good luck. you WILL get your Royal! I got three of them in a 24 hour period once!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.