1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Retirees,dont make this dumb mistake!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thought we were be smart and contribute the max allowed for over 50's to our IRA'S. $6500 each so we thought we'd get a nice refund. Idiots we truly are ,you can only deduct IRA contributions against earned income meaning a job which means we cant deduct 1 cent. The worst part we found out is that you pay a yearly penalty ,almost$200 a year that this money stays in the IRA because it's considered an excess Ira contribution. To avoid this we have to withdraw all this money by april 15.

2. nuggetboy

nuggetboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jersey,
    You are correct. I will be retiring in 4 months and sat down with a rep from Schwab to discuss my Roth IRA Account a few months ago. I am retiring a bit early and still wanted to contribute to my Roth. He told me that as long as I had no "earned" income I could not contribute to the Roth. This was the last year i could contribute.
    There are a lot of rules related to these things and I would strongly suggest than any potential retiree sit down with a finance person for advice.
    I am glad I did. :licklips:

3. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's why you get a good investor that knows that stuff. If you used one then get a new one.
    In the end, that sucks.

4. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Canadians contributing to RRSP's face similar rules about needing earned income and should check with a financial advisor (not a banker) if they have or are about to retire.

5. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of our investments are self-directed

Good or bad thats the way I prefer it. This was my own fault ,havent put any money in IRAS in quite a few years instead been taking out. I figured it was a good idea to put some back in and get a tax deduction . Live and learn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.