1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slots Powerball/MegaMillions Powerplay, how do they determine the multiplier?

Discussion in 'Slots' started by wrxrob, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrxrob

wrxrob High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For you lottery fans out there, I noticed they changed around powerball's "powerplay" multiplier feature, where it now can be anywhere from 2x to 5x multiplier.

I decided to watch last night's drawing on video, and didn't see where they came up with the multiplier. You'd think they'd have multiplier balls bouncing around just like the lottery numbers, but I didn't see it.

I rarely play the extra sucker bet, but figured it might be worth it to figure out if there's an equal chance of the multiplier being 2x, 3x, 4x, or 5x.

And I also realize that Powerball/MegaMillions is still the biggest sucker bet in all of gambling, but it only takes once, and you never have to work again! :thumbsup:

2. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From their FAQ page question #9 on Powerball:

All other non-jackpot prizes will be multiplied by the Power Play multiplier, from 2 through 5, selected just before the draw.

3. wrxrob

wrxrob High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    cool, I just wish they televised it.

Perhaps they count up all tickets sold prior to the draw, and figure out how many were bought with the power play. If a lower number than usual, set it to 5x. If lots, set it to 2x. (/conspiracy theory:evillaugh)

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, you can definitely set yourself for a thing like that since it's not witnessed publicly. If they would do that, it would be pretty damn shameful though. Also, the percentage of power play tickets bought probably doesn't vary very much drawing to drawing.

vary very...:evillaugh

5. Gomar

Gomar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Read my post, if you are in NY it's better to play SM for $1m for 1:3.8m instead.

The just added PP(x2-5) in PB does not apply to the jackpot nor 2nd prize of $2m. In MM 1:18m is good only if you hit on x5 for $2.
    Thus, very few do play PP or MP, as all want the huge jackpots.

It is chosen by a random program, not drums.

A player hit on $2m on SM as he had 2 same tickets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.