1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown dinner with teenagers

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by jhpa, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know - it is against my principles to encourage anyone under 21 types to be in Vegas, But my 16 year old nephew will be in a singing competition in Vegas in July. So I am looking for a place to take my sister, brother in law, and two nephews (16 and 18) for dinner downtown. They are staying on the strip, but I will spend a couple of days at the Golden Nugget. I want to invite them up to hang at my cabana during the day, have dinner and then see the light show. Any thoughts for a not overly expensive but fun place appropriate for this group?

2. ernestoc33

ernestoc33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much are you looking to spend per person? How about attire, casual or business casual?

Off the top of my head for a group, fun and cheap I'd say Triple 7. For nicer and still cheap I'd say the Redwood at the California (about $20/pp).
    If you want to impress and not break the bank I would probably say the Ranch Steakhouse at Binions.

3. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    teenagers? take them to a buffet!!!

4. ernestoc33

ernestoc33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably the buffet at MSS?

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That restaurant at Downtown Grand (the one named for streets) looked good. We had just eaten before so did not try it.

6. Texas Gramma

Texas Gramma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is always the Grotto in your hotel... Italian food and pizza. It's off by itself and not close to the gaming area. I personally have not eaten at the Chart House in the Nugget... it's on my bucket list... but there are a lot of pictures online of interesting seafood. Also the aquarium could itself could be of interest. The buffets sound good for teens especially if you choose a seafood night so there are plenty of crab legs... but don't choose the Nugget... try Fremont's buffet instead. If you want to impress your sister and the boys can take a little elegant dining... take them to Hugo's in Four Queens... great menu... reasonable prices for the value... and a red rose for your sister.
    ---
    The GN pool & aquarium has an especially good view at night, walk to back of water slide for best view. Bathrooms are there too. Pool area late evening has no cover, no waitress soliciting drinks, distractions. Large areas with padded loungers. chairs can be used to just "hang out for a few minutes with your family" without being hassled. About 6 pm, it really slows down.
    ---
    Don't forget there are a lot of attractions in the downtown area that boys might enjoy ... slotzilla, pictures with golden nuggets or million dollars, antique pool table collection at MSS...berlin wall in the men's room... shrimp cocktails at DuPars... also there are some shows they might be eligible to attend... Laughternoon Comedy at 4:00 at the D and they also have a dinner theater show called Marriage Can Be Murder at 6:30. I have not seen the new things just off of downtown, but there have been a lot of new ones opening just this past year like the Container Park. I understand the pawn shop used in the TV show Pawn Shop is also in that area.
    ---
    Hope they have a wonderful time... you are a good uncle!!!

7. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will investigate them all and consider them.

I am not a big buffet fan, but it might be a good option.

We will be pretty casual - and I had a disappointing experience at Hugo's Cellar. I love the Binion's Steakhouse - have eaten there at least 4 times - but a little too upscale for what I am planning.

I will need to do a little more investigating for things to do with them. I am an ardent "anti-kids in Vegas" person so I have never looked at those things at all.

Keep the suggestions coming.

8. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you want something cheap and tasty, stop in at the 4Queens, Magnolias Cafe is really good and prices are very reasonable. I like the Triple 7 Brewery at Main Street Stations as well, its a family type atmosphere, similar to a large Applebees in a way. Great great food for a good price!

9. ernestoc33

ernestoc33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your going for casual Pasta pirate might work.

10. TFK

TFK High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not try something like the Heart Attack Grill? They'll probably appreciate that more than something high end.

TFK

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with a nice buffet. Best option for teen boys.

12. 007DAWG

007DAWG Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For teens I think the 777 at MSS is a great option, good prices and portions are huge. Hash House a Go Go is a good call as well, and I think the Heart Attack Grill has entertainment value, but I have never been so I cannot speak to the quality of the food.

13. Texas Gramma

Texas Gramma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Research

If you want to research the subject there are 3 really good sources...
    1. Google "ideas for teenagers in downtown Las Vegas" and a lot of ideas come up including fun things for teenagers in LV.
    2. The website http://www.vegaschatter.com/tag/Downtown has always been a great source for everything going on in that area... mostly for adults, but there are articles on container park and slotzilla for example.
    3. Vegas Chatters 2012 Guide To Downtown Las Vegas... might be a little outdated, but interesting.
    http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2012/3/3/152947/2001/vegas-travel/VegasChatter%27s+2012+Guide+To+Downtown+Las+Vegas

14. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    777 at mss. its a nice place where you can have some drinks and the kids will like the room. Not many places like that around.

15. Caesar

Caesar Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know of no teenager that would not appreciate the ribs at Tony Roma's.

16. AOchoa95

AOchoa95 Low-Roller

Even my three boys in their early 20's enjoyed MMS buffet and man they ate. Cost was easy on the wallet too. Took the to the Berlin Wall, and a couple spots Downtown.

17. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For teenagers, I would agree on a buffet and like others, would recommend the MSS buffet. Am curious since Vegas has stricter laws than other locations. Would teenagers be allowed in the Triple 7 restaurant/bar?

18. TFK

TFK High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't eaten in Tony Roma's in over 10 years.

For a reason.

TFK

19. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you don't like buffets then how about the flame at El Cortez or the redwood at the cal. both very reasonable and should fill them up with a decent steak. You should be able to get a discount with a voucher at the Flame.

20. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're looking for a dinner buffet, I would second the choice of the MSS buffet. If the kids would like something a little more noisy, the "777" at MSS has lots of good menu choices.

If you just want more of a decent, inexpensive, sit-down meal, I would heartily recommend Magnolia's at the Four Queens. Often, there is a line, which would indicate how popular it is. We go there once or twice during every trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.