1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best structure for tourney under 75 bucks

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by Avsman17, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avsman17

Avsman17 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's been a while since I've been to vegas (over two years) and am looking to play a couple tournaments while in town. I know ti used to have a good game at this price but curious if that is still true and where else that happens. Prefer avg number of players at least two tables

2. Thickskinnedalive

Thickskinnedalive Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From everything I have been reading it is well worth the extra money and go for a proper tournament. The less expensive ones either have a big rake and /or horrible blind structure. The best daily tournament seems to be the twice daily one at the Aria. Costs $125 and runs at 1pm and 7pm. Nice size prize pool too.

3. Avsman17

Avsman17 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree that aria and Bellagio have good higher dollar tournaments. Unfortunately 125 is just not a reasonable price for me. I'm poor lol

4. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a tough question since what I think your asking for doesn't really exist. Most floor when pressed about this will either openly or in a round about way tell you they could care less about these tourneys and the players in them. Because they are raked at 30% or higher it's worth it for their bottom line to offer them But.... they've given up long ago that these players are going to play cash games after or increase room traffic. Plus it takes a really special dealer to even pretend they don't really hate these tourney's.

The 11a.m. at the Mirage is probably the most well run and well attended with probably the longest levels you'll find at this price but great structure with 10-15 percent rake your not going to find at that price.

Also the Stratosphere 7pm usually has a pretty good turnout with a fair amount of starting chips if you take the rebuy it will cost $65. Those 2 are about the best you'll find.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  5. Avsman17

Avsman17 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the input

6. CaliMike

CaliMike “My home away from home”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I remember PH having a pretty descent one at about $65.

7. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've played (and won :banana: ) at Bally's daily $50+10, around a $700 top prize, two tables.

11am - $60 Buy-in
    2pm - $60 Buy-in
    5pm - $60 Buy-in
    8pm - $60 Buy-in

Only tourney I've played in, so I have no other place to compare it to.

I'm not a big poker player when in Vegas, but it's what we do in my house on Sunday afternoons. When I'm in Vegas I just can't sit in one place for 3 hours when there is just so much to see and do.

8. TFK

TFK High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm the same way. To succeed in poker you need patience and focus. It's hard to have either in Vegas.

TFK

9. BrandonC

BrandonC Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've also played in Harrah's, Bally's and Flamingo's afternoon games. Rake is pretty high for this buy-in level, but it was definitely the crowd I was looking for. I feel like I can't spend 6-8 hours playing a poker tourney when in Vegas, would rather be out playing other games.

10. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best...

Harrahs, TI, Mirage 11AM, PH

Stratosphere charges too high of a rake to be considered.

Ballys blinds start higher which makes the structure poorer.

Aria is my fav tourney also, but it is long--8+hrs. to cash.

11. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A 1 hour sit and go would be awesome. Taking table buyins would be just fine and fun.

12. Sinatraatthesands

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These used to be quite popular when poker was booming but now a lot of places are finding it hard to even stay open. Outside of the big 3 poker has been dying a slow death in Vegas the last two years, frankly I don't know where the bottom of this slide is anymore.

13. phinfan08

phinfan08 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you served free beverages while playing in tournaments?

14. Avsman17

Avsman17 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. I've found that the low entry tournaments are a good investment for free booze. Play for 40 bucks somewhere for a couple hours and get half dozen free drinks and maybe cash

15. Avsman17

Avsman17 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I see the aria tournaments average around 100 players. Does it pay whole final table? Any idea on approximate payouts assuming 100 players

16. Sinatraatthesands

Trips to Las Vegas:
    pretty sure 100 would pay 11.

17. Avsman17

Avsman17 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know it's usually somewhere between 9-12 percent of the field. Thanks man

18. whaler55

whaler55 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just at Ballys and am pretty sure that their 9am 1k guarantee may not have hit the minimum, meaning there was an overlay. I believe they were 65 bucks each. In one that I played they were paying only two spots 700/300. Of course I bubbled...

They become shovefests after a few levels, but they're fun and they only last two hours. If you cash in one, then go to Aria and play something resembling a real tourney .

19. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Free drinks abound

Sit & gos are hard to find...structures are poor...but Mirage will have some once in a while.'

One thing I don't like about Mirage tourneys is that they are VERY top heavy--1st pay a lot more. Makes chopping less likely. And luck plays a much bigger factor when blinds are that high, so a chop is nearly always preferable.

Aria typically pays 12-16. Quite a few locals. In June we got to final table & the chip stacks were not varied much. We had played over 8 hours. Someone called for a chip chop--prize pool distributed based on your chip stack. Blinds were so high even the locals agreed (at least 2 at final table). It worked out well for me. I was about 5th chip stack, but probably cashed a few hundred more than 5th was paying at that time.

20. Wanger1969

Wanger1969 Iowa Nice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Quad has cheap tournaments througout the day. They are nearly like a sit n go. I think its $35, they usually last about an hour, two at most. Cheap buy in and free booze while you play. They have become pretty popular with the poker room move, so they always fill up their 3 tables with some alternates. Usually some crappy play but once again.....FREE drinks and low buy in.

First trip I stayed here I hated them. (back when the poker room was a temporary hole in the back) Now that they've moved it up front, I love the atmosphere. They tend to draw average to poor players.

If I remember correctly, their tournaments are on the half hour....I know they have a 5:30, 8:30, and 11:30 in the evening for sure.

Good Luck!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.