1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NL Poker Tourney for beginner

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by N I VEGAS, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N I VEGAS

N I VEGAS Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,
    Just seeking a bit of advice from the Vegas Poker players on the forum .
    Im in Vegas 17th to 26th March and would like to perhaps experience playing at a table live for the first time. I used to play NL online a bit but have never played at a table. This is my third visit but last two times i didnt feel confident to play at a table as they all seemed to be full of regular players and no beginners.
    So ,any suggestions where i could play and feel comfortable ? Somewhere that might welcome the begineer ( not just for making me part with money haha)
    Im from Northern Ireland ,over to celebrate my 40th .Staying mid strip and my tourney buy in budget probably about 100 dollars or so . NL only as im not familiar with other Poker games.

2. IvanBeausky

IvanBeausky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Poker in Vegas is a pretty good mix of regs and tourists. If you are looking for a low limit game to get your feet wet, I think the Flamingo has a $2/$4 limit game all day. As far as cheap tourneys, check AVP for tourneys/times.

Don't be shy, for every jackass out there, there are 10+ player who will help you out, not because it is your first time, but because everybody had a first time at some point.

I will be in LV March 19-March 26 staying at PH. Maybe i'll see you on the felt! If you have more q's, feel free to PM me, or just post here.

Ivan:peace:

3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with the above. Everyone was a rookie at some point. Be nice, ask intelligent question about things you don't understand, don't be a pain in the ass and people will like you and give you tips.

4. N I VEGAS

N I VEGAS Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheers Ivan , thanks for the tip!

5. vokalml

vokalml Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would play earlier in the week. The end of your week will be a zoo, maybe the busiest weekend in Vegas. First weekend of march maddness. I played last year at that time and they had about 12 1-2 nl games going with 20 on the wait list at aria

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  6. markmetin

markmetin Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MC worked out well for me

Hello N I Vegas. I was in the same boat a few years ago, felt I had watched enough poker on TV and wanted to get my feet wet with some live tourney action. After doing some research I decided that Monte Carlo tournaments would be a good bet, and have no regrets. It appears they now have 4 tournaments a day with buy-ins between $40-$80. Really nice poker room, it wasn’t too crowded, and the players and dealers didn’t make me feel at all intimidated. MC is a fair walk from mid-strip but there’s a tram from Bellagio that makes it a little easier.

I didn’t end up being the world’s next Phil Helmuth, but live play sure does get the blood hot. Cheers and good luck.

7. N I VEGAS

N I VEGAS Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Mark , i am actually staying at Vdara so Monte Carlo isnt too far . Will definately check it out .
    Richard.

8. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 2-4 limit at Flamingo or 3-6 limit at Bally's are your best bet for cash games. The dealers will help you and the players won't care if your new. Both have pretty low key 2 table tourney's as well for around $60. Mirage also has same type of tourney's. Don't worry about it. I play about 15 hours a week on the strip and new players play all the time. I've never seen one get a hard time from staff or players unless they were drunk and asked "how much can I bet" every hand for 2 hours straight.

9. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The lower buy-in tourneys from $40 to $80 anywhere on the strip will be just fine for what you are looking for. There will be plenty of new and inexperienced players. The suggestions for Monte Carlo are really good as you are staying nearby at Vdara. I think that fits exactly what you want. Even if you don't cash, you can get a lot of play for a cheap $40 tourney.

Since you are in the neighborhood, I recommend that you check out the Aria poker room, but that may be a bit tougher room than you may be looking for. Their tourney is $125 (I think) and will run longer and be much tougher than the MC tourneys.

10. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

Did my first and only tournament at MC back in June. It was a great experience.

11. N I VEGAS

N I VEGAS Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the help guys , appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.