1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Payless Car Rental?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by LV2GAMBLE, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Want to hear of your experience with them (good & bad). We have a car reserved with them in March (Conexpo & NASCAR) and they are coming up about $100 cheaper than others.

>When you picked up the car did you pay the price that you reserved it for or did you pay a bunch of additional charges?

>I am quite worried about this and also have another company reserved as well.

>Since it is a busy time, have you ever reserved and gotten there only to find out they had NO cars? We are coming in on Sunday or Monday but won't be picking the car up until Wednesday...us low rollers don't want to pay for the additional days since we won't be using it for a couple days anyway!

ALL FEEDBACK WELCOME....

2. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used PayLess numerous times, never had a problem with them being out of cars (but I normally arrive in Vegas at 8:00 AM.)
    As far as additional charges go, whenever they start the up-sell spiel I simply say no, No, NO! Check paperwork before you sign to make sure price is the same as you booked. Also, it's a good idea to check prices often because they may drop even further, and re-booking is easy. And have a great trip!

3. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i just used them. they have a hidden fee even if you decline everything so becareful its some kinda roadside protection make sure they take it out.around 3$ a day

yes i got the correct rate.

yes there was over an hour wait for cars and yes they where out of cars but by the time i got the counter they got some in.

payless and foxb are the 2 cheapest in vegas usualy hope that helps

and yes keep checking prices .i used orbitz then booked directly ,its a great search engine

4. JackH

JackH Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1) Long , long counter lines . We waited 45 min to an hour.
    2) Very hard sell counter . Relentless and will not take a simple NO for an answer
    3) Car not ready when finally went downstairs. Waited another 30 minutes
    4) Check in slow for car return
    This was in Dec after the rodeo and when Vegas was pretty empty. We will never use Payless again. It is just not worth a few Bucks.

5. LV2GAMBLE

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good points so far. Anyone else got anything to share? :confused2:

6. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you where there the day i was

7. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We had a big problem with Payless, not in LV but in FL. We booked a car through them quite a few years ago and our plane was late. We had my mom, then in her 80's with trouble walking, with us and, when we got to the rental agency in the middle of nowhere, they had cancelled our res. and we had to find a way back to the airport and another rental car at a much higher price. I will do without a car before I will rent from them again anywhere.

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    same problems as others have mentioned.

Pros: Prices are great, I am going to be in vegas tomorrow, payless was over $100 less than other agencies for the same car.

Cons: as also mentioned, keep a copy of your reservation and all fees. If the charges aren't the same then bring out your magnifying glass and check out all charges, there probably is a rip off charge in there someplace. The clerk will probably try to give you some lame excuse as to why the amounts are different. DON'T BELIEVE HER!! There is probably a roadside protection fee or something other charge on it. Tell the clerk to remove the charge before you sign. The clerk might even try to strongarm you, telling you that the fee is standard, etc. or that the manager isn't around. Stick to your guns and don't sign until she removes the charge. As a last resort, contest the fee with your cc company. There ought to be a law against this kind of ripping off of customers

As others also mentioned, the lines at the counter are usually long so be prepared to wait. And because they are a cut rate company they don't have a large amount of inventory so you may have to wait for a car to return. Last time I rented from them a family was waiting more than 45 minutes for their car (this was after they cleared the counter and was outside by the car return/rental area) and this was at 7:30 am!

I also have a car reserved from another company just in case but it was over $100 more. I think it all depends on you, whether the time and effort is worth the savings.

by the way, extra charge rip offs occur on many other agencies so this problem isn't only with payless. also be aware, if you are delayed many agencies will cancel your reservation. I had that problem in vegas, I was 2 1/2 hours late and dollar cancelled my reservation.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *UPDATE*

I just got back from my vegas trip (got back on Sat, Jan 18). I used payless for my rental. I arrived on the first day of the CES (jan 7) at 7:30 am. The line wasn't very long, 3 people in front of me. There was one person manning the payless desk (uh oh I thought) but he seemed to process everyone very quickly, probably less than 5 to 10 minutes per group. My bill came out exactly to what I was quoted on my reservation, :confused2: a very pleasant surprise. He did warn me of the "out of service" charge if I get into an accident that most insurance companies don't take care of (if you get in an accident payless will charge you for every day the car is out of service while being fixed, their revenue loss).

There was exactly ONE car in my size (midsize) in the payless lot so I didn't have a selection of cars available to me. The car was all right, had a lot of miles on it (over 30k) but it ran okay with no problems. It was a Hyundai accent I think. At 1/3 tank I filled it up and spent only $22 to fill it up, what a difference and price compared to hawaii where I expect to pay at least $50 to fill up my car.

I paid about $200 for 11 days for the car, at least $100 less than the other companies and a lot less than the national rental agencies.

I did have a reservation at advantage just in case but since it was about $90 more I stuck with Payless.

I expected it to be busier since it was the start of the convention but I guess my plane arrived in between the other airlines so the line at the counter was short.

Anyway, I would rent from Payless again, hoping that the lines at the counter would be short and no hassle from the clerk with extra charges. Still better to be forwearned, I carried a copy of my reservation with the charges just to make sure I wasn't overcharged.

Best advice: keep 2 reservations just in case, if you have problems with payless or the lines are long and slow then just go to the other agency instead. You may pay more but at least you have a just in case alternative.:wave:

10. CYaInVegas

CYaInVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For about the pas tyear I have been bidding on rental cars and getting them for 30-50% cheaper than renting directly with the rental car company. I am picking up a full-size car at Payless this Thusday and total price including taxes is $105.00 for 6 full days. I use the company that "Captain Kirk" is the spokesman for.

11. LV2GAMBLE

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks so much for coming back makikiboy with the update. I will keep both of my reservations just to be on the safe side.

Just another Q for you veteran renters...if you have a car reserved without a payment, what happens if you don't pick it up..does it just drop off? Or would they keep in their records that you were a 'no show' on a pickup? Just don't want to get a bad rap and be on the company S-list.

12. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't worry if you don't cancel a reserved car.....this happens all the time.

Back to Payless WAIT MORE........they are BRUTAL trying to up sell everything they can.....that is why it takes so long to get your car.....after nearly a hour of waiting (only 7 ahead of me with 7 clerks at the desk) the guy who took care of me had the gall to say they didn't run out of cars but they have over 100 cars in this huge automatic car wash that were stuck in there and that is why the line is running so slow...

DON'T take the prepaid gasoline option....They LIE to you that you will pay much more at local gas stations they they will charge you from their gas pump.....and BTW they will charge you for as many gallons as the tank will hold even if you only need 2-3 gallons of gas.......and KEEP your receipt that you purchased gas.

Other then that........start your vacation off right and go somewhere else for a car.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Username is correct, normally there is a big hustle at payless to pay for extras, prepay gasoline, etc. That is the reason to keep 2 bookings, if you have a problem with payless (long lines, etc.) then just go over to the other agency for your rental.

The clerk did ask about the gasoline prepay option but I told him that I wasn't sure how much I would be driving so told him that I would just fill it up before I returned the car (like username mentioned, keep your receipt just in case to show when you filled up the car).

As for the other reservation.....I always make 2 reservations (hope the agencies don't do anything about this) just in case, basically because you don't have to pay/prepay anything upfront. I change my names every so often, makikiboy (ficticious name) one time, mboy another. I usually use my first initial and last name. I guess they could target my email (since I get the confirmation email) but so far in the decades I do this I never had a problem with the reservations I didn't use.

Always, buyer beware and be forewarned about the hustle and overcharges and payless could be a good rent. I have had bad experiences with Dollar and the hustle so the problems can occur with any rental agency. (one reason I usually use thrifty nowadays instead of dollar since they are owned by the same company)

14. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.