1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Snow, cold, repeat.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boy oh boy, this is getting old after several months. First it snows, then it gets cold. Minus 10 again last night and this morning it's snowing again. 2-4 expected.

Ken2V-hush!:poke:

A couple of inches just about every other day. Just enough to be annoying, and yet too much to leave on the driveway.

Wed night a low of zero F, Thursday a high of 6 F. Friday more snow.:cry:

2. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, Joe! I am quickly reminded every winter why I live in Texas (San Antonio). It's going to get down in the upper 20's tomorrow night.... That's cold for me! High in the upper 40's and back into the lower 70's for Sunday.

Stay warm!

3. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here on Long Island I just dug out 14" on the east end and now it's 8 degrees with a wind chill of -16. Long Island NOT Wisconsin, but it might as well be. 24 months to retirement and I can't wait. What's the temperature in Lone Mountain today? 68?
    :grrr:

4. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The massive blizzard that hit us last night in Central Mass left .... 2 inches! The weather forecasters blew it again! At least it was an easy cleanup for the Kubota this morning but at 3 degrees and a bit windy it was a bit nippy.

Actually I prefer the 2 inches of the light fluffy stuff at 3 degrees to the 38 inches of heavy wet stuff I remember a few years ago!

For my warm weather friends: come on up North! It's beautiful! Moose, deer, Fox, bobcat, rabbit (go figure) and a fisher cat - tracks all easily seen this morning when I went to feed the horses.

You can always put on more clothing and stay warm. There's a limit on what you can do to get cool...

5. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe:

How do the schools react ? ?

The reason I am asking, we got blasted here in MD, and of course the state highway dept isnt ready for it... it was -9 (with wind chill) last night which is insane for around here....
    My son is loving it because he has 2 days off now in a row... LOL

I know its cold and the snow is usual for you in WI !

6. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, this winter is very much trying my patience. I warms up just freakin enough to snow, and then it gets cold again.

I gotta get out of this state.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Schools are open. This was the first time I remember in my life that they closed them because of the cold when the "polar vortex" plunged wind chills to -45+.

But a lot has changed since I was in school. Kids waiting for buses etc.

They do seem to overreact these days. 8-10 inches of snow never closed schools when I was a kid and we had to walk to school uphill-BOTH WAYS!:evillaugh

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're in an unprecedented drought out here. Not so good.

9. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I can imagine.... its pretty wild here in MD... as you can imagine we dont get alot of snow, but we do get cold temps......

They overreact like its nothing these days LOL

10. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are -35 C with windchill which is almost -40 F (-40 and -40 are the same for both C & F). technically -25 without wind but the wind makes a huge difference and you feel the cold here. We also have almost 150 cm of snow already which is 40 cm then our yearly average with 4 more snow days in a row coming up. At this rate it will beat the 100 year flood of 2011.

I even walked to work this morning with a windchill warning of a balmy -41. My counter part at our Main Office thought i was nuts.

11. Pattie

Pattie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The frigid weather is one of the reasons why I don't live in Minnesota, or Wisconsin or Montana, etc. and yet in Maryland we are freezing to damn near death. I hate, with all the heat of a nova, the goddamned cold. The Mid-Atlantic is suffering from an Arctic winter that is about to break my will to live. I need an intervention before I completely trip the shit latch.

12. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in the MD/DC area and, yeah, it's cold but here the schools overreact.

One day, it's didn't snow till the afternoon but school was canceled and so was the fed.
    It stopped snowing at around 11pm but they closed school the next day yet again with the fed opening 2 hours late.
    Today, school opened 2 hours late.

Why?

Every one of those days, school should have been open. The first day they could've just had early dismissal. Every other day, it didn't snow.

Freezing? Well we'll be below freezing for about the next week or so. No difference in tomorrow than from 2 days ago. Put salt/sand down and keep it movin'.

I do laugh at the folks that like snow unless in high school or lower (and, of course, not skiers). How can they like snow when you must bundle up, road conditions are worsened, you can't really have cookouts unless uncomfortable, kids can't play on the playground, no football, basketball, soccer, etc.

It sucks.

13. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YEAH, what she said ⬆️

14. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cold as hell here too

but we're going to the Golden Nugget this afternoon so screw the weather.

15. wizard950

wizard950 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I left for work this morning in SE Pennsylvania it was -5 with no wind, thank goodness. When I got to work it was a balmy 0 degrees. Still have plenty of snow on the ground too! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.