1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flight time changed

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I admit I'm overly obsessed with my upcoming trip and did my daily check of my outbound flight which is on delta. Well my flight from cmh to lax changed from 730a to 700a and when I looked it showed no flight from lax to las. I quickly called delta and the agent looked it up and the flight from lax to las had a change in not only departure times but flight numbers. Instead of getting into Vegas at 1115a I now have a 1050a arrival. And since I had a premium seat upgrade bought I insisted on getting it on the "new flight" which they quickly did.

Is this normal service with delta, to make changes and not let the passenger know?

My return is on southwest, although it's a 6am flight I can't complain. Iv never left Vegas so early but it was free vas now the same flight and the test that day are over $300 and the day I booked it it was$199 cash price.

2. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to say, but from our experiences with Delta (which we fly a lot), not being notified of "minor" changes is normal. Of course, changing a flight number is much more than a minor change and could easily result in missing your flight or at least some anxious moments. Did you supply email and/or mobile number when you booked? We see minor change notices frequently when we go on-line, but they usually just involve 10 minutes or less. I recall one time, however, getting a voice message while playing BJ saying that my return flight was being delayed by a few hours, but that's probably the only time I've ever been notified directly. Who ever said that getting there was half the fun?

3. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They surely do have my email and phone. They emailed the new flight info after I called. Good thing I did cause my lax to las is sold out now vas I do have the same seat as I had on the original flight number

4. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you book directly through Delta?

I have always been a Continental/United guy and book directly through them and they will e-mail and text any flight changes within the week of departure and will call me with any changes or delays the day of.

Oftentimes the airlines change flight numbers, planes and seat assignments (which happens when they may go from a 757 to 737 for example.).

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG...IWBIV... I've often laid in my bed and heard the early planes take off (you can hear 'em well at the Hard Rock) and thought to myself, "Ughhhh, who's on those planes?" That's crazy! But I guess to get back east, you gotta start a bit early. I'm not a late riser and do just fine anytime the sun is up or coming up, but I'm no good getting up when it's dark.

Of course, there are those who stay up all night and go straight to the airport as well..

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  6. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I am not a morning person at all and I despise early AM flights. I used to take the 0545hr Philly to Houston flight and every second of it sucked.

When I leave Vegas it is usually on a red eye so I can sleep on the plane and then crawl into bed when I get home.

This time I am actually leaving at 3 in the afternoon and get home at a normal time

7. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most airlines don't notify you if there's been a change in the itinerary. The only times I've been notified was when the flight was cancelled or had a much earlier/later departure time. This is why everyone should check their itineraries once in a while since flight changes are known to happen.

8. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just checked my Delta flight for MArch and they made a change there for me as well. The real news that I see out of that is that Knoxville has lost its 2 MD-80 flights to Atlanta everyday and replaced with one flight from Airtran's old 717s that Delta picked up from Southwest.

What really sucks is every flight out of Knoxville except one 717 Atlanta flight and one MSP flight (morning/early afternoon) are now on regional jets without a first class section... and I bought a first class ticket and specifically chose the MD80 flight time for that reason :(

9. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked with expedia.

Thanks for the replies. In hoping swa will lower prices where I can swap my points ticket for a later flight.

10. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Being stuck in Roanoke for flights out to Vegas, I usually end up with Delta and always connect through Atlanta. I check Delta constantly, booking online when the price is right for me, and many times this means months from my trip.

When this happens my flights/times seem to change on average 3-4 times, but in every case I've been notified via email. I couple of times the changes simply weren't acceptable and when I called Delta, they've always found another flight for me which fit my schedule. I should alo note, there's no extra charge for this as they started the change in the first place.

11. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure about small changes, but when we had storms in Europe at end of October I got an email the night before saying that my flight might be cancelled and then a couple more through the night with updates.

As it was we ended up leaving England 3 hours late and I was forced to run through Amsterdam Airport to get my connection.

Saying that, I think KLM was the owner airline that time and not Delta.

12. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I book my flights on Delta months in advance. Every time at least one of my flights has changed times/planes/flt numbers. I booked for the end of Feb in mid Dec. Flight out changed within 3 weeks, now leaving 15 minutes earlier and just yesterday they changed my flights home with times, planes and flt numbers. It is annoying as changes added more time to my layover in Atlanta and gets me home later.

Since I, like you, check prices and seats after booking I noticed that the plane was filling up pretty quickly for that far in advance. It seemed they created a new flight with a bigger plane. I have the Delta app on my iPad. When I log in it tells me there has been a change and I have the option to choose a different flight with no change fee if I am not happy.

13. suecasey

suecasey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly United, and I always book a few months in advance. There has never been a time when my flights did not change in some way by the time of my trip. This is normal for airlines. The time changes are usually minor -- 15 minutes or so -- and once in a while they will change equipment and flight number. I usually check my itinerary on United's website about a month before my trip, which is when I find out about the changes. They always notify me -- via email AND telephone -- about a week or 2 beforehand.

14. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. Since my flights were moved up I'm and I got a confirmed seat on the new flight I'm not worried about change. The concern was when my flight was changed and the second leg had no flight info or seat attached.

15. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep checking though because they could change again. The biggest thing to watch for would be one airline changing flight times and not leaving you enough time between connections.

I've never done a multi-airline trip but have had Continental change a flight time on me and shortened a connection down to something like 40 minutes. I was nervous the entire time because the missed connection would've meant staying overnight.

16. SH0CK

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They will charge (if you try to make the change online) IF the flight change is less than 1 hour in difference.

I much prefer to do it myself online than talk to a person, but my flight change was 45 minutes on the second leg. When I called them, I made my case for not paying a change fee because I had booked a first class flight for both legs and I selected that particular itinerary because it had first class on both planes.

That being said, I think they are changing a lot of flights right now as they remove the MD80 (160 seats) planes from their fleet and replace them with the 717s (110 seats)

17. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gotten burned with Expedia before. I always fly Delta anyway, so now I book directly through them. They always change the flights, but I have always gotten emails.

18. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you bought a First Class ticket, call them and demand to get a FC seat since you paid for it. They will most likely issue you a refund for the difference between Economy and First Class on that first flight. However, it's worth asking if they will reaccommodate you on another airline in First Class.

19. SH0CK

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah, I called them earlier today... and they took good care of me by putting me into first class on the 717 that leaves out about noon... get into Vegas 5 hours earlier too :thumbsup:

20. Doughy

Doughy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the Delta App on my phone, anytime there has been any changes I get the notifications through the app.

Have a victorious day!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.