1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Can you get off SW "1 stop no plane change"?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by user3657, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Found a couple good deals and thinking of taking a last min trip. Flights are non stop but says they stop in PHX.

Does SW allow you to get off the plane during the stop? I assume the stop is quick but 7hours in one spot would not be much fun. I dont know how I could keep myself busy. I cant read for more then 30mins and my laptop will only last about 1-2hours, maybe not even a full length movie.....

2. DReynolds86

DReynolds86 Let's Go Pens!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think if they're putting fuel on the jet, then you have to get off the aircraft per regulations. I could be wrong, though. Are they just stopping in Phoenix to load more people onto the plane? What's your full itinerary?

3. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually with a stop but no plane change, that means ppl who are supposed to get off the plane can. Not sure if they will know if you actually got off unless they did a seat count. But you do not have a reserved seat with sw so basically they wouldnt know uts you.

Usually with other airlines (ual, aa, us air) you have seat assignments connected to your name, so they would know it is you and cancel your return flight.

4. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't get off the plane...you stay on and can move around if you want...load new folks on and fuel and take off....

5. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You only get one boarding pass for that kind of flight and you hand that over when you get on the plane at your first departure airport. If u get off I'm sure it would be a pain in the butt to get back on the plane since you don't have a boarding pass anymore.

6. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they request you to stay so they can get a head count, atleast that is always the announcement i hear. But I dont know if they want you to stay past that.

7 hours is a long time........

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you get off, you no longer have a boarding pass to get back on.

Simple stuff.

As to fueling. They fuel planes with people on them all day long.

8. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That doesn't really make sense: you assume its quick but then its 7 hours? Don't you have departure and arrival times for your flight? Even if not including the Phoenix part, at least the departing your home airport and what time you can expect to arrive in Las Vegas?

If there isn't a plane change involved then most likely your stop in Phoenix will be 30-40 minutes in length - they are usually pretty quick to get flights in and out and if they have jets just sitting at the gates doing nothing then they can't have other jets coming in to that gate, so they aren't going to block one of their gates for 7 hours.

If the stop is going to be a long one then what they will do is let passengers who are not continuing on disembark first and then the remaining passengers get counted and given instructions: they can stay on or go out, and if you opt to go out they will either give you a new boarding pass or they will take down your name and info off a piece of picture ID and you use that to get back on.

9. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they meant sitting in the same seat for 7 hours. Original flight + wait in Phoenix + Flight to Vegas.

Not so much because of a stop to pick up other passengers, but I've been stuck on a plane at the gate before. They announced at one point that we could get off the plane and go inside the terminal as long as we took our bording pass along with us. This came about when there were several planes years ago that sat on the jetway or tarmac without allowing the passengers to get up, get a drink, etc.

That being said, with a short turn around, they may request that you stay on the plane. Check with the flight attendant before you land in Phoenix and they will tell you what their procedure is.

10. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah, my total time between nj-vegas is 7hrs.

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, in October we took a flight like that.
    It was out of Houston...we got off at Charlotte, but the plane continued on to JFK.

12. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to the SW schedule. your flight from EWR-PHX is 5 hours 40 minutes.
    You have about a 45 minute stop in PHX, then a 1 hour flight to LAS.

Keep in mind that 45 minutes includes the time it takes to de-plane the PHX passengers, then maybe a ten minute wait before they start boarding the new passengers.

I would not try to get off the airplane until I checked with a flight attendant. They need to get a head count on the passengers going on to LAS. Don't be surprised if they tell you NO!

13. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, you'll stay on the plane unless there is some sort of issue. The stop should be quick -- they target 20-minute turnarounds on SWA. I've had one occasion over the years where a flight attendant let me get off to grab some food ... but that was definitely an exception.

14. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes you stay on but you can move your seat....get up walk around the plane, you can go to the bathroom on the plane, you will have about 10 mins after the last passenger deplanes then the new passengers will start to arrive.

15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have mentioned, you don't have a boarding pass to re-board. You must stay on the plane.

It's a shocker sometimes when we board with a good A boarding position and a lot of the front rows are taken by the people who stayed on the plane for a stopover.

SWA runs non-stop from Milwaukee, but some of the flights originate in FL, fly to Milwaukee, then non-stop to Vegas. From there they continue on to San Jose, CA and then Seattle. Talk about a brutal day of flying.:nono:

16. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do the front row seats have an electric outlet?:poke:

17. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You do not have to get off the airplane when fueling. The regulation is that when an aircraft is being fueled with passengers on board, it has to have either airstairs or a jetbridge attached.

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never sat in row one, but 2 and higher don't on SWA.

19. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I searched for this exactly thing about a year ago. While I never did find an exact policy from Southwest, my conclusion was that I would need a very specific reason to get off the plane. More than likely some sort of medical condition that required something in the terminal. I was convinced that they couldn't force me to stay on the plane, but that it was going to be a massive hassle(if not impossible) to get back on the plane.

These turn arounds are very light. The take people off, 5-10 minute break, and then boarding starts.

If you absolutely want to get off or see if you can. I would suggest talking to the gate agent at your first flight. If they are unable/unwilling to print you a boarding pass for your next stop, then I don't think anyone can. I certainly would not get off the plane without a boarding pass to get back on the plane.

20. DReynolds86

DReynolds86 Let's Go Pens!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah. I was getting civil and military regulations mixed up again.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.