1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New Push to Stop Long Hauling

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by win4me, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. win4me

win4me VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Link to Vegas Chatter article http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2014/1/17/113922/772/vegas-travel/There%27s+A+New+Push+To+Stop+Long-Hauling+At+McCarran+

"The airport is teaming up with the Nevada Taxicab Authority to post signs listing "the approximate milage, time and fare from the airport to downtown and Strip resorts."

Initially, signs will be displayed on doors 1 and 4 of Terminal 1 and outside the taxi staging stands at Terminal 3.

The signs will post trip times and fares using three different routes: Paradise Road, Las Vegas Boulevard and Interstate 15."

I think this is great news :thumbsup: I still wish they would establish set fares for DT, Strip-South & Strip-North.

2. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was going to share this as well. Glad to see they are going to finally start spanking the cab drivers more firmly. Nothing like going to Mbay and having this...

tunnelme.jpg

3. Sklem211

Sklem211 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent! Let's hope this actually does curb the practice. It says that the signs will go up on Friday and I get into McCarran on Friday night...I'll have to take some pictures.

4. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha this is good stuff! I got tunneled just last week going to Mandalay Bay, but was too busy talking to my friend before I figured out what was going on.

5. win4me

win4me VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would be great if you post them! :beer:

6. tinytim

tinytim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure hope this helps. I personally have not been long hauled as I usually rent. Last time tho, I asked the cabbie to use Swenson St & no tunnel please. Good Driver but rather slow. lol I was anxious!!

TO the airport tho, Cabbie says the Strip is too busy (from Ballys) and we should take the highway.
    ME: " um no...we have some time so lets take Flamingo and turn right on Paradise".
    He drove like a maniac with the front too-close-sensor (or what ever it's called) sounding off several times. Then he got pulled over for speeding just as we pulled up to the terminal. Cop says he's getting a ticket.
    AAHHHH Karma lol

Tim
    T-48

7. yazdmd

yazdmd Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome. I got tunneled going from Mandalay bay to the airport. 24 bucks. Waited until the cabbie took out my luggage and then handed him a few bucks. I told him he could take this as payment or he could explain to the two police officers standing near us how my fare from MB was $24. He smiled and drove off, quickly!

8. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you! I did something similar when I got tunneled to PH one time.

(I see you're very active here, 1 post in 4.5 years?!)

9. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good move. I hope the signs are big enough for people to see them.

They should post some around the baggage carousels too or have them posted along the zig-zag taxi lineup outside.

10. voltron12

voltron12 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only been long hauled once. But it was enough to insist on the correct way I want them to go since. I was with my wife so didn't make a stink. But we were going from the airport to the Planet Hollywood at westgate (or now elara) He took the tunnel because he said it was faster even when I said PH westgate no tunnel please. I was talking to my wife and didn't notice he went the tunnel anyways and the rate was 36.00. I couldn't believe he actually asked for a the full 36.00 It took forever to get there also.

11. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had the same experience as the previous poster but only twice in many cab rides....the taxi authority phone number is in my phone. I don't stiff them but generally try to come close to what the meter should be (in my head calculations) and give that to the driver but no tip. We can agree or I can call and get a 3rd opinion (holding the phone only needing to hit "dial"). Neither time was there an argument.

It is a game. Like catching your youngest denying the accusation of whatever but realizing he/she had no defense.

12. tex55

tex55 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope these signs work - maybe I will go back to using taxis again. I have been renting cars for the last few years; just got tired of the long-haul battle every time I got to Vegas. Not a fun way to start my Vegas vacation!

13. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they should post them at the taxi line or even better make it mandatory to have posted in the cabs

14. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never going to be placed in cabs. The TA doesn't care at all about long hauling.

15. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone know if the taxi unions are against flat rates to/from the airport?

16. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, they aren't against it the cab companies are. The Unions have no legislative influence at all with the TA. If they had any at all you would have seen a lot fewer cabs on the road a long time ago. The cab companies have all the political power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.