1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Question For ken2V

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What hybrid club would you recommend to replace the 3,4 irons?

2. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not Ken but heres my 2 cents

I would try to play with a demo club to see how the club performs .Theres a lot of variables involved ,price being one of them .Golf bums like me can pretty much hit anything,knockoffs or whatever. Taylor,Callaway,Cobra,Cleveland the list goes on and on. If I'm spending $150-$200 on a club though I 'm going to give it a test run. If you were in my area ,theres a couple of reputable PGA pros who fit and sell clubs that I would be comfortable sending you to that could help you with this .

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3- and 4-hybrids, of course. (Actually, perhaps not.)

As jersey is saying, one size does not fit all. So go to a retailer with a broad selection and hopefully an outdoor range (or something indoor if it has a launch monitor) and start denting product. Or hit a demo day when one comes around to your area.

Some other thoughts on the big picture:

1. Some companies introduce stuff every late-fall/early-spring whether or not they have a true technological breakthrough. Others change things out every two or three years when they truly have something new to offer. That's just the way of saying if you don't replace your stuff every time the marketing department tells you to you are NOT behind the tech curve.

2. You might be able to get by with one hybrid at that long end of the irons. The majority of recreational players do not generate enough club head speed -- or pureness of contact -- to launch a long iron high enough to get the benefit, and most don't have meaningful yardage separation between the 3 and 4, and often not the 5-i. That's why many fusion sets start the irons at 6. Yes, hybrids are supposed to combat this but they still are not automatic. So honestly assess how far, high and well you hit your long irons, then see what happens with the hybrid replacements. You just might see that a 4-hybrid, for instance, just kinda does the job of two, which opens up a slot for a much-more-needed-by-most additional high-lofted fairway wood or a another wedge.

3. All equal, a 3-h will go a farther than a 3-i, so beware just swapping out a "3" for a "3." It's all about meaningful distance -- and ball flight -- and not just distance. You want to replace irons, not get something that simply goes farther. (And also try high-lofted fairways.)

4. Do not buy a knockoff. Arrows don't make the Indian, but knockoffs are cheap, poorly made imitations that often infringe on another's intellectual property rights. (Knockoffs are not the same as counterfeits in that a King Cobra knockoff might be called a King Serpent with a slight cosmetic alteration while the counterfeit club wants you to believe you're buying a real Cobra product.) Who do you call when the head flies off or the face caves? Also, you're not likely to get a good, quality OEM shaft designed for the club, and the shaft IS the engine of all golf clubs.

5. Buy last year's model on sale. Now is a great time since the new stuff has been rolling out. You could buy 2012 stuff and still be miles ahead, even.

4. vm00515

vm00515 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am about a 8 handicapper who used to hit my 3 and 4 irons pretty well. I was never confident in them. 3 years ago I switched both clubs to hybrids (Taylormade at the time), and it changed my whole game. They fly about 15-20 yards longer and most importantly, I am more confident with them. The both serve as a great club off the tee when the driver is cooperating and is a great layup club. The control on hybrids is amazing. I now play the Taylormade Rocketballz 3 and 4 hybrids and they are simply amazing. I hit my 3 hybrid longer than I do my 3 wood, which I now don't even carry anymore. I always have good luck at my local Golfsmith grabbing hybrids off the used racks.

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the excellent and well thought responses.:beer:

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've long said that aside from the anchor-sized driver, the hybrid has been the boon to recreational players from all the advancements the last decade or two. (I'd give the nod to the ball for tour-level players.) You obviously have game and have folded the technology into your bag perfectly.

One caveat to the OP. As I hinted at earlier, hybrids are not a panacea. You don't rip the long irons out of the bag and instantly improve. You gotta trust the hybrid and let it work for you. They're iron replacements, so you need to position and hit them like irons.

7. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like one poster mentions, Try them out at either your local club for a few rounds or at a quality range or golf warehouse. I recommend looking into maybe last year or 2 models because you get the guys who buy them brand new and dont like them, or cant hit them, or the have unlimited income and have to buy new clubs every year :rolleyes2:. Once you find something you like check E-bay or Craigslist you can probably pick up a name brand club for 1/2 price :thumbsup:

8. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Cobra Amp Cell 3-4. You can switch it with the wrench. Basically two clubs in one.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember, when you alter loft you open/close the face angle.

10. lostfido

lostfido I push my fingers into my eyes

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always thought loft was "lack of fu**ing talent"

Back to the drawing board for me I guess

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, no, loft is your friend!

12. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No.....actually golf is a lack of talent...remember you are only playing against the grass...LOL....good luck with your next hole..errr in one.... :) ....LOL......I'm sure it's more talent then meets the eye......just never got into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.