1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

First The Furnace,Then Anti Freeze, Now, Water Tank

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

This is killin' me financially !
    My furnace goes on the coldest day in years !
    $1,000 bucks
    Then, my antifreeze was drained during the furnace
    fix up.
    I am told over the phone "You'll have a tech anywhere
    from 10:30 am to 2 pm "
    I said, "Great...because it's gonna be -20 windchills overnite and
    you guys drained my antifreeze out yesterday."
    Tech shows up at 10 pm last nite !!!!!....works til midnite !
    Charges me $600.
    ( I thought I might be able to do it myself - however, after watching -
    I would have not be able to do it myself.
    As the technician is cleaning up he says to me.
    "Your hot water tank has a very slow leak."
    He inspects it and tells me "It's the original tank and its WAY PAST
    it's lifetime.....you better think about getting it done soon."
    I looked it over....and agree.
    I believe my wife's uncle put one in her parent's home -
    so at least I won't get killed with high labor prices, if he can do it.
    So, anybody have their hot water tank replaced ?
    and how much did you pay ?.....what does a tank cost ?
    I'm not sure how many gallons my current one holds ?
    ( I'm just starting today - to price things + see if I have
    enough skill to do it myself.....not sure what it all entails at this moment.

2. Simmy

Simmy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Youtube is your friend. Just search hot water tank replacement (or pretty much anything else for that matter) and you will find a bevy of helpful videos on the subject. I have used the videos to install an alternator in my car and to replace a dip tube in my hot water tank with great success.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, my husband does it all the time in the rental properties he owns. But then, he's experienced with plumbing & electrical etc (which is why I married him :wink2: He built me a house, after building himself an airplane)

In addition to youtube, there are How To fora (my husband moderates one - hey, we each have our areas of specialty:evillaugh) and websites like diynet.com

Good luck!

4. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A water tank is a pretty easy job, but its one of those things if you have to ask if you can do it, its probably left to a pro. Also size depends on your home, most homes have a 40 or 50 gallon if its a larger home. If you have children, like I do we have two. I have one 50 gallon tank for the main house and a separate 40 gallon tank that only runs the master bedroom/bath. Its nice, kiddos cant run me out of hot water!!

5. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree 100% with that.

I had one that was under a new home warranty replaced. I think the cost would have been around $500 (purchase price + installation) if I'd had to pay for it.

6. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A hot water tank is a simple, easy replacement.
    The newer ones have electronic pilots, so there's no "lighting" it (always what I hated)
    I think really only one or two manufacturers make them now...I would see if you can't get an American Standard (AO Smith)

7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Thanks everybody.....keep 'em coming.
    I had "youtube'd" the anti - freeze replacement.
    Yes, I love the auto pilot starters.
    For years, at my job - I had to light a tank with
    a long match --- hated it !!
    I was always wondering when the thing would blow
    up on me - especially, with my beautiful face:evillaugh in close proximity.
    ( years ago - I had an old grill blow up on me )
    >
    I will look for American Standard - thanks Tim

8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We put 2 in our house when we built as well - and it's just the 2 of us:peace: (but it's a 3 br 3ba so "for resale" yadda yadda yadda.....)

9. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Smart move! That was one of the extras I liked about this house when we were looking! Its huge w three kids!

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a 50 gal AO Smith put in last fall

Cost me $850 by licensed plumbers. I could do it myself if I had to but,you have to go get a new one,haul the old one out and get rid of it ,figure out how the thing lights and sets up (its like a computer,digital) so for $200 bucks approx. labor every 10 years its not worth it to me.
    From talking to other people,I would avoid Lowes or Home Depot and if possible go with a local plumber who gets it from a regular plumbing supply.The big box stores were more expensive believe it or not.

11. lucky13

lucky13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yup... will cost about 1000.00

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, I'm sorry you're having this trouble during a bad cold snap. Don't get me started on home ownership...what a scam. Anyhow. I know a true cheapskate wouldn't be doing it this way, but, we rent our hot water heater. This past summer we changed rental companies for a slightly better deal. The real attraction to changing was being able to tell the old company to screw themselves and getting a new hot water heater. The old company would have changed out the old unit but they would have wanted us to change the entire setup for the unit; chimney liner and gas hook up which would have run a couple grand easily (it's an old house). My husband can do the plumbing but not the gas fitting and the chimney job. The new company had a deal where they would take care of it for free. They picked up most of the houses in this neighbourhood with that deal. So, the moral of the story is that yes, I am paying a monthly rental for the tank, but, I did clean up pretty good with this set up and it's nice that I'm not responsible for the tank.

My point is, consider a rental hot water tank even though it's not the cheapest route.

13. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Purchased a 40 gal Electric AO Smith today for one of my rentals for $271, installed it myself. Worst part of installing one is draining the old one, but connecting an air compressor to the inlet speeds that up.

14. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on purchasing a quality piece.

15. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is my go to water heater, mainly because the drain fitting is brass, instead of plastic, so there is less chance it will strip when it has to be drained. Moving a full 40 gallon water heater isn't much fun.

16. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I certainly feel your pain.....after I retired in April, had many things go out...washer ($650) / dryer ($650)/ repairs to wood trip on exterior of the house ($2000) and other things totaling over $6000. Therefore, we had to cancel our normal August trip. About a year ago, the water heater leaked out all over the hallway carpeting....replaced for almost $700. It is a 40-50 gallon....not sure. It is not a easy job - hubby not physically able to do this type of thing so brought in a local company. Oh - the joys of home ownership.....never a dull moment and just when you think you have fixed or replaced about everything....nope - something else goes out. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.