1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

For the golfers: Kauai golf article

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's a link to a piece I had in yesterday's LA Times Travel Section. Kauai golf at other than Poipu/Prince prices.

Inexpensive Kauai golf

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Ken:thumbsup:
    I never realized there was affordable golf available in Hawaii.

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats a good article,wish I was going to HI

Last time in Maui I had a pt ranger gig in Jersey.Turned out one of the asst. pros at Kaanapali was a jersey guy and knew the place. One phone call and FREEBEE! . Also the first time there we found a public course on the other side of the island ,nothing but great views all around the course,$35 years ago.

4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, nice article and I'm not even a golfer. Wailua is looking for someone to sling burgers and beers? Sounds like a nice gig!

Gotta make it out there some day, but its a helluva flight from the east coast.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wailua is the local Kauai muni. Don't expect resort like service, like a food cart roaming the course but the course is nice enough to hold regional tournaments and also regional qualifying for some pro tournaments.

Prices for locals are much lower, even off island locals might get some discount rates.

Actually for locals the cost to play isn't too high in Hawaii. I play at our honolulu muni's and I pay $26 a round (walking, $36 with cart). The rate was only $20 in 2010 but they have been raising the rates $2 a year.

I played yesterday, brrrr (lol), it was cold, it was only 60 degrees when I teed off but it warmed up to near 70's by the middle of the day.

Of course at the private courses like Kapalua or Waialae it will cost a lot more but muni courses and semi private courses aren't that bad.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, Joe. You, too, hammie.

Last week I wrapped up a piece for another client hitting a top-tier and a "value" course on each of the four main islands.

I have my faves on each island, but at the end of the day, I'm drawn back to Kauai for the quality of the diversity. Then again, stick me on any of the islands and I'm just a fine happy camper.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man, friends in the industry is a very nice thing, indeed. :thumbsup:

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    makiki, you ever played the Marine course in Kaneohe???

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really a function of private or semi-private this day and age since most/all of the islands' (and other golf-mad destinations' )highest ranked and most expensive courses freely allow public play, even if they have a membership category, and some of the privates no matter how much money you have won't open the gates. And, actually, when you compare the islands to Scottsdale or the Palm Springs area, the SE, all over the mainland, truly excellent private golf is pretty minimal over there.

The locals discount is a godsend, where available. We play Sandpiper on the water in Goleta for quite a bit less than they oversoak the turistas for.

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. I played most of the courses on Oahu except for the private ones like Mid Pac, Oahu Country club and Waialae. Funny, while the jr golfers can play we can't, lol. I also couldn't play the new Ernie Els course (Hoakalei) since it is a private community course.

Probably couldn't play the course (kaneohe) the past couple of weeks since the pres was vacationing in the area and golfing a lot.

There are a number of courses I haven't played yet, some like Hualalai on the big island you have to stay there (probably real expensive).

I played courses on Kauai but I rather play courses on the big island, Maui or Oahu.

11. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken,

Very nice article and will archive for my upcoming Hawaii trip.

I have a 3 year old and need to make sure she can handle the 10-12 hour flight from Newark NJ... But after watching Zach Johnson win yesterday, I want to jump on a plane right now!

Charlie

Annual Golf Trip
  12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The new Els course is reportedly taking outside play, at least for a while. I've not confirmed that personally but a friend in the industry says that's the case.

Don't you live on Oahu? Real good reason to play on Oahu. And you guys do have more attainable golf than the others.

Waialae is fun, but at the end of the day it's still just an old school course that gets props for being charming and in a great location, but take away the Sony Open hook and what do you have left???

Hualalai is visceral, but I'd rather play Mauna Lani South or Mauna Kea with the recent rework. Last time I was at Mauna Lani they had the old routing open, with the original 18 now split 9 and 9 between North and South. That was fun. Three of my fave holes anywhere are 15 on ML South, 3 at MK and 5 on the Moana side of Kauai Lagoons. And those two cliff-edgers at Makai don't suck, either.

The one Hawaiian course I don't "get" is Prince at Princeville.

Man, if you can get us out on the Marine Base next time I'm in Oahu I'll spring for the saimin and beer apres the round.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:

Being 4.5 hours away has it advantages. Guess that's one of the reasons why the Caribbean doesn't really figure into our mindset as it does for you easterners. Doing something like that takes a bit more planning than jumping on Alaska Air in SJC or LAX and being in Lihue or Kona by noon local time.

Always glad to share my $0.02, Charlie. When you get things revved up hunt me down if you have any questions.

14. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I envy all :nworthy: you guys !
    It's only -20 windchills today in NY.
    And yes !....my clubs are still in my trunk !:evillaugh
    Hey, you never know ?:cry:

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, is your car in a warm garage? That kinda cold is hell on grips and epoxy.

16. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

No.......I'll take them outta the trunk when I get home,today.:eek:
    Thanks Ken !

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.