1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Low Roller Finds a way to Beat the New Vegas STRIP Theme.

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by WHIVGOYTUBE, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To Us, the new Vegas STRIP of today is all about Big Bucks spending.

And since our first trip in 2000, our Big Bucks have not increased too much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But for us, we found a way to beat them this time. Yea Low Rollers!!!!!

It took a strategy play, but we believe we beat the New Vegas STRIP Big Buck Expectation game this round!!!!

Next time, we have no game plan left... And they will win... Anyway....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How we accomplished this, can only be accomplished by reading these forums
    and the many thanks to everyone that contributed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1. Airfare is very expensive from Florida ($800 - 900 RT per Couple after fees).

Answer: Get SWA Visa when they offer 50K points, and one year I signed up, and we did Vegas in 2011. Then GF signs up 2013, and we are good for 2014.

Flight costs including the Visa Yearly fee = $70 per year per person + fees.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2. Hotel and Food. This only applies if staying at a CET property.

Answer: For this year's visit in 2014, we got the Total Rewards Visa Card.

* Spend $250 in the first 3 months = $50, that we will use for food.
    * Spend $750 in the first 3 months = $100 total promo, that we will use for food.

* Gives Platinum level = no resort fees. Saves us $100 on 5 night trip.

* Gives "Two" 24HR passes for the Buffet of Buffet (once again CET Property).

* Gives instant 15% discount on Hotel Reservations (once again CET Property).

But you can do better, but it is a nice FIRST starting reservation, that we all know how to play, get a better rate, cancel, rebook, etc, as long as it is direct CET.
    BEWARE.. Priceline and all the other stuff, you are screwed as far as rebooking.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And There you have it... Enjoy......

After this 2014 trip to Vegas, the only (REAL) Gambling trips we can afford to do...

Will be in either Biloxi, and Tunica. We will miss VEGSAS!!! So MUCH!!!:cry:

2. npom

npom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too an a low roller and have done everything you mentioned. Have you checked the total rewards website for your hotel? Be sure to put in both your card numbers for a better and maybe comped rate. FYI, airtran has the same deal with a credit card as sw. Might get you 2 more years worth of trips!

3. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did that deal with Frontier several years ago. Long as you don't mind changing cards, you can swing it one time apiece with several airlines and other card partners. However, changing cards too often could carry more negatives than the mere inconvenience.

People also need to figure in the other features offered by these cards. The Frontier card had an annual fee that negated its value for us after the first year. Many cards offer cash back that might be more valuable than one-time reward incentives.

Airtran travel miles used to expire pretty fast, and free seats used to be hard to book, making it hard to get free flights after the initial bonus. On the hotel end, CET reward credits tend to expire fast, also. To me, those factors (plus CET's notoriously poor games) make both a poor long-term play.

And of course, if someone carries a balance, all gains are rapidly eaten up by the interest. The interest rate is another factor that I hope nobody here has to consider.

4. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah certain cards should just be paid off immediately.

One trick is have a credit on the card.

Another thing is that, yes, you take a credit score hit from closing the account but it's not long lasting. I always say that closing accounts with annual fees that are not worth it, is worth it. Ones without annual fees? Let the credit card company close it. There is no credit hit besides reducing your overall available credit.

There's a whole other discussion about what helps or hurts your credit like being close to your limit is ultra bad and having a complete 0 balance is no help.

5. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does the TR Card keep you at Platinum or is it temporary?

6. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I churn credit cards for every Vegas trip. A couple of my favorites are the Chase Sapphire Preferred (50k points/miles), the Barclay Arrival (40k points/miles), and the AAdvantage (50k miles). I haven't paid for airfare or a rental car in a long time due to these cards.

7. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you cancel the cards and then reapply a year later? I have the SW card but am thinking about canceling it and finding one that better meets my needs (SW doesn't offer some of the regular flights I need). It's a slow week after xmas...maybe I'll put credit card research on my to do list.

8. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's temporary. I think it expires the following March after you receive it , unless you get it in January. Then it's good to March of the following year. So if you you get it after Wednesday you'll be good until March 2015.

9. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Visa Total Rewards is a great card to have if you visit Harrahs properties frequently. And the 2 free all day buffet deal in Vegas can't be beat.

10. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This caused us some serious concern, since we will not get to Vegas untill May. I just got off the phone, and had the agent confirm with her Supervisor. The response is: the Platinum levels stays in effect for 12 calendar months from date you apply.

Hope that helps anyone with concerns. :peace:

11. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nvm I missed your earlier post.

12. goblue55

goblue55 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was approved for the Total Rewards credit card in late May 2013. Picked up new Platinum Total Rewards players card when we were in Vegas in September. Card is dated 3/2014 (my old Gold card never had a date on it).

Not sure if I can cancel the credit card, then reapply for it a few months later to get Platinum status and TR credits again.

13. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone's cards are dated to expire 3/2014, but does not mean that their status expires in March. I got Platinum again in 2013, so my Platinum "status" expires 3/2015, unless I get it again this year.

14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All credit cards have expiration dates, folks.

edit: my bad, this has moved on to the player's cards.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  15. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Gold cards don't have expiration dates because gold status doesn't expire since it is the lowest status.

16. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    <--- Gold Member since 2001. :eek:

17. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was "chairman" at Harrahs once :evillaugh

18. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What part of florida do you live in because I used to live in florida and went to vegas twice from orlando/tampa airports and never paid over 300 a flight.

19. realjwstorm

realjwstorm Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is pretty much what we are doing this year ..

I got an offer from American Express where I got 30,000 bonus miles on their Blue Sky program (equivalent of $400 of airfare) .. I then found the cheapest flights possible out of Manchester, NH to Vegas .. roundtrip for 2 came to $495 which I have to pay $95

Then we booked stays using MyVegas ..

Then I got the Total Rewards card for Platinum, BoB etc ..

Now I just got an offer for 50,000 bonus miles on a SWA card .. so I'm going to take that and cover our next trip out PLUS have a good start on our next :)

20. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do I link Total Rewards account with TR Visa?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.