1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dollar Car Rental Question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by TomTWI, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I normally rent from Dollar because I've had no problems in the past. I'm set up with "Dollar Express" and it's just easier. Probably leaving some money on the table but I'm ok with that.

The best rate I can get from their site is to put in my search params and then click on "city special". I then chose the compact offer and I'm good to go. Today when I was re-checking for my 1/8/14 to 1/22/14 trip the city special link didn't show up. I'm confused it's always been there for last few years. Anyway I put in the promo code that would show up with City Special (765) and presto I'm saving $40 from my last best price.

Has anyone had experience with this? Not sure I should be using the code hope it doesn't cause problems down the line. I booked it but didn't cancel my other reservation yet.

Thanks

TomTWI

2. tinytim

tinytim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I encountered missing "city special" today also but on the thrifty site (they are the same company). Going back and forth I did get the city special once and a while so not sure what the problem is. Actually it was strange, when I clicked on the city special it seemed higher than the regular rates.

thanks for the 765 code, I will try it with my bookings since I will be there in June.

I will be in vegas from 1/7 to 1/18 and found the best rates with Payless at almost $85 less. I have bookings with Budget (through costco), advantage and Payless. Payless is $230 for 11 days, Budget is $300 and Advantage is around $275. I rented from Payless before so I might just go with them again (hope the lines aren't long).

4. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've used Dollar without incident and have been happy.

We just used Budget this past weekend, elantra for $105 for 4 days tax included. When we got there I asked about an upgrade for a Fusion. He said for $24.95 a day you could. I asked him "how about I give you $10 instead of giving the money to Budget" and he said..."Fusion it is".

The $10 trick worked at Budget for an upgraded car. It was brand new(1000 miles) 2014 Black Fusion.
    :thumbsup:

5. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just booked Advantage for week 1-16 to 1-23 for $115. They also have a cheaper rate if you pay at the time you book. This is almost as good as the TR deal, but shows the taxes and fees.

6. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I signed up they did send out a card but that was several years ago. I do know there is a place on the web site where you can print off a card. By the way I've never needed the card just the number and I keep that in my Iphone notes.

TomTWI

7. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does your rate of $115 include taxes and fees?

TomTWI

8. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually use Dollar and have tons of experience with trying to "work the system" and use various codes and trying different options. The short of it is that if the system accepts the code and lets you book it then you are good to go. The exception to that rule is that there are company and membership specific codes (AAA, AARP, Costco, codes for company employees) that you use at your own risk and also run the risk of being asked for proof of membership to that group. A special rate code or city special code doesn't fall under that umbrella though and if the website accepts it and allows you to book and get a confirmation then they will honor it. I've never heard of dollar not honoring a confirmed reservation.

FYI, on my last trip I had trouble getting a good deal and settled on a mid size car from dollar (even though I wanted an SUV or Minivan). When I had a need to increase my reservation to longer than a week I was shocked to find that the price dropped dramatically. I ended up getting an SUV for 9 days cheaper than I'd originally booked a mid-size car for 7 days. I even went back and double checked and it wasn't a matter of reduced rates. Even on a new reservation I tested and saw that a 7 day rate was much higher than a 9 day rate.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.