1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Packing beer in luggage?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by rdunc311, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdunc311

rdunc311 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm headed to Vegas in February for a bachelor party and got to thinking that we could save a decent amount of money if we brought our own beer from St. Louis instead of buying it at Walgreens on the Strip. We plan to do a fair amount drinking in the room. We'd probably be able to save about $10 per 24 pack. We all will only be taking on bag and thus will have a free bag to fly to Vegas. Think it'd be worth bringing our own beer? If so, what is the best way to pack it so that it doesn't bust while in transit?

2. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Just me, but saving $10 simply isn't worth it for a case of beer.

3. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a huge pain in the ass! Buy it when you get there and you dont have the hassle of lugging cases of beer all over Gods green earth.

4. NCISfan

NCISfan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buy it when you get there. I would be surprised if many cans were not punctured in handling by the airlines, what a mess that would be. :cheers:

5. ACMike

ACMike High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't believe you would even consider doing this.

6. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Having never done this before, I'd also wonder if cabin pressure change in the plane's cargo hold would cause the cans to explode????

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've brought beer home from almost every international trip I've taken. But 1 or 2 bottles (never cans) and not an entire case. Just like to bring interesting samples home for my husband, a home brewer. And usually some wine for me.

I've also traveled with a case of wine for cruises (individually wrapped bottles, packaged in a labelled box per airline instructions at the time) So the concept of traveling with alcohol is not foreign to me at all.

However - in your case? Buy a case of beer at the Walgreens in Vegas:peace:

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually pack 2 beers in my checked luggage to enjoy in the room. I don't need a six pack so I toss in two cans. No matter the temp in Vegas, it is always cold enough to drink when we get to the room and unpack, assuming the room is ready when we arrive.

To the OP: Really? You're going to Vegas and worried about saving $10 per case!

9. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm known for my cheapness and I wouldn't bother with this. There's some things that aren't worth it. But, if you're the type that has to see for themselves...let us know how it went.

See posts by CousinEddie. He's a beer drinker and frugal. He can tell you how to have all the beer you could possibly want and still save a buck and not need a rental car.

10. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are tons of (what I consider) ridiculous posts on this board; but honestly, this has to rank up near the top! Of course, I'm one of those who compare bringing alcohol to Vegas like bringing sand to the beach, but schlepping beer has to be … oh, forget it!

11. rdunc311

rdunc311 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow LOL. Didn't think this question was that ridiculous, but seems pretty unanimous that it is. I'll take your advice and just buy it there.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not ridiculous. If you were driving, it would be understood you'd have a few cases of beer and a cooler in the car and it would be a time/effort saver. Never ridiculous. But, I'm glad you're taking the advice with good humour.

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just don't forget to pack the Jägermeister. You can get the red bull at CVS, ABC, Walgreens. :drunk:

14. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the laugh Turtleman!!!! Your post is hilarious!

15. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's a lot of people who bring a special bottle of something that's not easily found in Vegas. If you packed Mott's Clamato in your luggage to make Caesar's, I would totally understand. I never got a taste for Caesar's but I would understand if that was your drink.

And if you're from a country/province/territory where liquor/beer is essentially gov't controlled and expensive and you didn't know about the booze situation in Vegas but figured it might be like at home...yeah, you'd consider packing your own.

16. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    rdunc311 why not go all the way? Pack nonperishable food items, the beer and a tent....now that would be saving money! Oh! Don't forget your pillow!

17. rdunc311

rdunc311 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My friends probably wouldn't be opposed to this suggestion so keep it quiet!

18. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    shouldnt this be posted under frugul if not dam very cheap section.:nworthy:

they give beer away for free in vegas :beer:

now this is getting stuppid

can i put my wife in my suite case so i dont have to pay for a ticket for her here and donrt worry i fly southwurst so my luggage is free:thumbsup:

19. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn! paperposter, why haven't I thought of that! I'm headed to dollar tree or dollar general (they are cheaper than walmart you know) immediately after work with wife and size her up for a piece of luggage. I bet I can get her and the beer in the same piece of luggage....and she better not drink any of it either.

20. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did this once and when I came to in my room, my beer had been removed and put in a tub of ice along with my liver, and there was a note saying call 911.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.