1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

We Have a Plan!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by TomTWI, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Caution Rant Below:

Geez it's been since April that we were in Vegas.

The last 10 years when I was still working we averaged two trips a year from Wisconsin to Vegas. Usually stayed off strip Gold Coast or Downtown. Then a couple years ago I get the bright idea of buying a Condo in Vegas for investment and snowbird destination when I retired. I retired in April and haven't been back to use condo. I have the time, I have a place to stay, whats wrong with this picture?

End Rant:

Well it isn't soon but at least I have a plan now. Something to look forward to. Leaving mid March by car and staying through April. This should take some of the boredom out of the long Wisconsin winter.

I'm going to try and talk the wife into a week in January. Fly out rent a car.

I know this is a boring post I just had to get it off my chest.

TomTWI

2. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the plan, you're doing a mini snowbird trip. Since you're retired, is there a reason why you don't go sooner than mid March?

3. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW, keep us posted on how it goes. I almost bought a condo in Boulder last Summer with the intention of renting it for the next few years and then doing the same thing. I'm not sure about the whole idea now.

It would be great if you would check back in and let us know how it goes!

Best of luck!

4. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:

No reason I can think of but my wife and think of many. I'm working on her!:poke:

TomTWI

5. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:

The investment part of the plan is doing well. Just haven't used it as much as I thought. Life just gets in the way or I can't prioritize anymore.

I'll do a snow bird trip report but most days are boring. On a long trip I only gamble about every third day(unless on a hot streak) Otherwise I golf, eat out, lay by pool, walk to local pub drop $20 in VP walk back. Not exciting degenerate stuff.

TomTWI

6. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Congrats on the retirement and having a condo in Vegas to fall back on anytime you want, Tom.

I understand what you're saying about "long trips". My Vegas traveling buddy spent a month out there years back, when his sister worked and lived out there, and it is a different mindset. He just kicked back in the mornings, reading the paper with his coffee and getting some sun. Some days, a little golf etc. etc. Cheap locals dining, a drink or two at a locals bar with a little VP. On a trip like that, gambling was way down on the priority list.

7. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats my idea of retirement! Im not a huge gambler now. I liked the idea of LV retirement because it has world class dining, entertainment and its ever evolving. Talked to a local out there and he said best part was there is always "something" to do.

8. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where is the condo Tom and is it hard managing it out-of-state? Utilities etc??
    Sounds awesome!

9. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are near Rainbow and Hwy 215 ( Rhoades Ranch area). So we are in the Southwest part of Las Vegas. I can get to Gold Coast & Orleans by city street in 15 min South Point, Silverton, South Strip and airport in 15 min via freeway. We go to Henderson a lot too and that is easy by staying on 215. It's a longer ride downtown but not that bad. I love the area lots of stores and restaurants close by and low crime.

Not hard at all my electric bill when I'm not there is around $45 / month. HOA is $164. That's all I need to pay water and garbage are included in HOA. I plan on adding cable and internet this spring that should be around $100/month. I'm still checking into it to see if i can turn it off when I'm not there. The manger where we are is a great guy who keeps an eye on things for me also.

TomTWI

10. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    January trip

I talked to my wife about a week in January and she said "why not two weeks?" Southwest had some good rates so I have a new trip planned.:beer:

Hell yeah!

TomTWI

11. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not hard at all my electric bill when I'm not there is around $45 / month. HOA is $164. That's all I need to pay water and garbage are included in HOA. I plan on adding cable and internet this spring that should be around $100/month. I'm still checking into it to see if i can turn it off when I'm not there. The manger where we are is a great guy who keeps an eye on things for me also.

TomTWI[/QUOTE]

WOW $45 a month electric bill while no on is there seems kinda high I think that building manager is using your condo as a bachelor pad!!!!! :nono:

12. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [/QUOTE]

WOW $45 a month electric bill while no on is there seems kinda high I think that building manager is using your condo as a bachelor pad!!!!! :nono:[/QUOTE]

At least some one is using it! Seriously, I keep the air and refrigerator on while we are gone. When there was someone living upstairs it was much cheaper. Now the Canadians that own the upper unit aren't there much either. $45 was summer months this winter should be much cheaper.

TomTWI

13. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great to hear of the plan. I admire you (and the wife) for having the cajonies to invest in Vegas. I've been retired for some time now with intentions to get a winter getaway but still haven't. We've toyed with thoughts to buy in Mesquite (for my golf) but lately that has sizzled, mainly because it's just too far from Vegas. Sounds like your situation is ideal so please keep us apprised. Good luck!

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I'm reading your post correctly, you bought this condo in April and haven't used it yet?

Why are you running the frig? Turn it off, put a couple boxes of baking powder in there and open both doors a couple of inches.

I can see a reason to have the AC on, but I would have it set at 88 or 90.

NV Energy has/had? a program. They would come in and install a programmable thermostat that allows them to turn off your AC for ~8 hrs when demand was high. It saved us quit a few bucks. The neat feature was you could access the thermostat on-line and check settings and house temperature.

We rarely had the AC set below 84 and that was quite comfortable with the very low humidity. Other neighbors had theirs set at 70 and felt like walking into a meat locker.

15. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe,

We bought it in May of 2011 I just retired this year however. I do keep it set at 90 when not there but could not take advantage of the NV energy offer without an internet connection. I probably will start turning off the frig in the future. I'm having the AC checked first because it used to be much cheaper about $20/mo

TomTWI

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  16. Mayoman

Mayoman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're plan sounds a lot like mine. I just haven't done it yet. Enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.