1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cell phone usage on planes

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by callahanha, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just saw a piece on the local news about the FAA allowing cell phone usage on all planes at anytime. I think this would be a horrible idea. People these days have no courtesy and don't realize how loud they talk. I might be trying to sleep and I don't want to hear someone talking baby talk to their kids back home. Can't people live a few hours with their phones? Is there anyone that thinks this is a good idea?
    I have already written to Southwest airlines begging them not to allow it even if the government gives approval.
    What do you think?

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you. I'm a very "electronically connected" individual, but I know I talk a bit on the loud side, so I never talk on my phone around crowds. I also would NEVER consider using it in a restaurant, etc. and I REALLY hope they don't allow their use on planes, as I fly twice a month and the general public for the most part is just rude and I can only imagine the commotion this'll cause.

3. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am hoping and praying the government does not pass this.

Travel woes are already ripe with unruly and rude passengers - why oh why would they add this into the fray? I can see passengers making a QUICK and QUIET phone call. But I could also see a potentially hazardous flight atmosphere if several passengers are gabbing long and loud on their phones - just because. :nono:

4. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also plan to e-mail Southwest (whom I fly with 90% of the time) and beg them not to allow it even if that government does. The LAST thing I need on a flight is someone blathering on loudly on the phone the whole time. I have no doubt there will be altercations over it if it happens.

5. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The FCC will most likely rule that cell phone use will not interfere with the flight. And they would be correct. That would be step 1. But the FAA would also have to approve it. And even if they do the individual airlines would have to approve it for their flights.

I'm really hoping it doesn't happen. I believe that every survey the airlines would take would show a big majority of their customers do not want this.

6. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I think it's a long shot for the individual airlines to implement a rule allowing people to talk on their cell phones in flight. I mean, this forum is a perfect example for why -- it's about Vegas. How many times have you been on a flight to Vegas with people acting a bit, shall we say, boisterous? Can you imagine if they were calling their friends back home?!

But it IS about time that we don't have to turn off our electronic devices so we can keep reading, playing games, watching movies, etc. Such a silly thing.

Of course, on the flip side: airlines used to install phones on planes, so you could talk on them.

7. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember those phones on the back of every seat. Fortunately it cost a ton to use them, I don't know if I ever saw anyone actually make a call on one of those.

8. cf84

cf84 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think if it's allowed, it should come with guidelines to limit the length of conversation. I know that makes for more enforcement issues but that's the only way I would think it works. Otherwise, keep it banned.

Now TEXTING, I say go for it. That would be a compromise. Allows you to communicate with the outside world without disturbing others, if you have your phone on vibrate.

9. joshcox19

joshcox19 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The FAA already made the decision to allow electronics in flight, including cell phones, but cell phones must be disconnected from the network (Airplane mode).

Even if they allowed texting/calls in flight it wouldn't work, you won't have reception at altitude so changing that regulation wouldn't actually accomplish anything

10. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got this reply back from SWA when I urged them to not allow calls on planes.

We’re excited to be the only major carrier to offer gate-to-gate usage of portable electronics with WiFi connectivity across most of our fleet, keeping our Customers better connected to what’s important to them than ever before possible. That said, the ability to use electronic items that access cellular data networks remains off the table, and our Customers have told us that inflight voice communication would be disruptive. We will continue to monitor our Customers’ feedback on this topic and would heavily consider Customer opinion should the FCC make any rule changes.

We look forward to our next opportunity to welcome you onboard one of our flights as your patronage is greatly appreciated.

12. joshcox19

joshcox19 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's great.

14. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have Plan A already ready to roll out! If/when someone next to me starts yapping on the phone for more than a minute or so he can plan on trying to talk over the music from my iphone. Like most everyone I have songs stored in my phone and all I have to do is turn on the music (without head phones connected) so that music plays directly out of of the phone right into his space just like his phone conversation into my space. And I just hope he will complain!

15. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If this happens, I guess I'm going to invest in a good pair of noise cancelling headphones. It's bad enough having to listen to everyone yakking on their cell phones while you are waiting for your flight - I can't imagine having to listen to that during the flight.

16. xizor

xizor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can imagine the first time some type of landing emergency happens and the flight crew is trying to get people to safety and half of the passengers are on their phone not listening and then blame the airline because they got left on a burning plane or something.
    OR maybe I am just grumpy today.

17. earth-3

earth-3 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If allowed, the airlines will find away to charge for the connectivity. They can add it to your ticket cost just like resort fee's are added to your hotel bill. Even if you claim you won't use it.

18. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they add it to the initial ticket cost, all the jerks will be yakking just to get their money's worth; they paid for it.

I can see physical and/or verbal altercations if phone calls are allowed.

19. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, put me down for "bad idea."

20. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why would someone talking on their phone be worse than a passenger talking to an adjacent passenger? Seems like the phone would be twice as good since you would only be hearing half of the conversation...I don't get what the big deal is???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.