1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I miss Nate...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Aftermath, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though all the trip reports here are great and appreciated, they just lack that "oomf" that his had.

:cry:

2. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, those were truly epic.

Also, anyone know what happened to Shifter? He seems to have vanished as well.

3. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably got scared off by the same "creepers" that kept PM'ing Nate.

Seriously people, stop bugging our high rollers! They don't need your damn money management/gambling strategy advise! :nono:

4. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What do you mean? Was he getting begging letters??

5. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nate was complaining how he was getting bombarded with messages from other members telling him how to manage his gambling money, betting strategy/techniques, etc. etc.

Seriously though, if these people's "full proof" method was so good that they felt compelled to give Nate advise, they would all be as rich as Nate.

Basically the members here pissed him off and he left.

6. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    are you sure he didn't just have a bad gambling run and decide to take a break from gambling and therefore trip reporting?

totally agree, we were very lucky to get a window into the true whale's world while it lasted.

If I were a betting man :evillaugh I'd say we'll hear from him again after a reasonable cooling down period. It's pretty rare someone goes full on "rehab" from drinking/gambling/etc like Whale Jo.

7. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cant you set a preference to not allow private messages from anyone other than mods?

8. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, he's had bad runs in the past but that never kept him from posting about it or taking another trip.

It's just that people feel compelled to give him "advise" when he's down on his luck and he did mention in his last TR that he didn't want none of that, but of course there's those few "special" people out there who can't read and continued to do so. So I feel it had a little to do with him leaving.

9. KnotGillty

KnotGillty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree BeeeJay. I heard he went on tilt and lost way more than planned (why his last live trip report ended so abruptly mid stream). Bad runs are one thing, monster losses are another. Nobody wants to publish such defeats. Some of us degenerates have been there before on a much smaller micro scale.

It was a fun ride reading about his adventures. Regardless of the reasons for his absence, I hope that someday he comes back to say hi.

Happy holidays to all

10. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shifter hinted that he hit his stop loss during the May trip. Considering that's two trips he finished by losing roughly 20% of his lifetime loss, I'd wager hes taking a longer than normal break.

11. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whatever he may be up to I hope things are going well for him. His trip reports were definitely the best!

12. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, that's not why he left. Not excusing anyone sending him inappropriate or annoying messages, because that sucks (I get a few of them myself). But Nate stopped posting for an entirely different reason. And I'm sure everyone hopes he posts again if the spirit ever moves him

I Need Spa
  13. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recall Shifter taking a longish break following some real bad beats at the end of last year/start of this year. Since his last post was right around the time he went to vegas in October, I would assume something similar happened on that trip.

As others on this thread have noted, posting about big losses and beatdowns is no fun. Personally, I tend not to post about my big wins or big losses. So I certainly wouldn't hold it against any other member who does the same. They will come back if and when they feel like coming back. One of the many nice things about this community is that there are a lot of people/voices to hear from. If not Nate, Shifter, or one of the other bigger players who used to (or still does) post here, there will always be stuff worth reading and discussing

I Need Spa
  14. Vladimir

Vladimir Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was also JillyfromPhilly who was a High Roller - he stopped about 12 months ago.

I always liked his insight as he was more 'my type' of gambler - albeit with an extra x00 on each sum.

15. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah... I certainly miss Nate as well. I took a small break and hadn't realized shifter wasn't around any longer, but now that it's been mentioned, I do.

I do remember Nate's last TR and people ribbing him for playing roulette. Pretty awful to kick a guy when he's down and feeling it. I always thought that was the reason he left too. Personally, I think I would have pulled the plug as well if I were him.

16. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant Shifter hinted that Nate hit his stop loss during his last TR. I can understand not wanting to come here and post after you hit a rough swing of variance.

17. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find it therapeutic venting about my losses. Every now and then its nice(well not nice) to hear about board members losses too. At least for me it helps keep the gambling thing in perspective since I have about 5 vices besides gambling that could easily send me down the rabbit hole to addiction. Venting about it helps keep things real. I bet there are enough people on this board that take gambling to a point to form a very large GA chapter.

Reading about it makes me stop and say, "Yeah I'd never do that shit..."
    No judging here but, I could never fathom gambling the level that Nate did.
    If I had that kinda of money I could think of a thousand other things that I would enjoy more, including golfing and drinking every day. But everyone's life experience is different.

I suspect Nate and Shifter will turn up one way or another in the near future.

18. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a primary reason I don't post much about my betting strategies/progressions. Someone will always disagree with you (and some people carry too far into personal criticism). I don't really post my TRs to ask for feedback about my betting habits, lol. I post them hoping someone will enjoy or empathize with the experiences.

I Need Spa
  19. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never really thought about it that way. I hesitate to post much about big wins because even with medium sized wins, I get more questions and PMs than I would like about betting strategies, requests to share my comps, etc. And with big losses, those just suck, lol. And, at least for me, I know there is an embarrassment factor for losing control and (usually) losing a large sum quickly. I can't imagine posting about it will make me feel better, but I may keep that in mind and try it in the future

I Need Spa
  20. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know the sickly feeling one has when they have a losing trip. It is difficult just thinking about it yet alone mustering up the need to write about it afterwards. But I believe it would be beneficial to the members here. We all lose and there's nothing to be embarrassed about. If anyone says they've never lost, then they are a liar.

All we see on this board are pages upon pages of winning trip reports. I believe it gives people illusions of grandeur, false sense of reality that winning is easy because "everyone else on this board is winning" (but the reality is that people only post about their winnings and not their losses) and it just sets them up for greater disappointment when they don't have a winning trip.

I've seen many examples of this with posts in the past with titles such as "HOW COME I CANT GET A ROYAL FLUSH? WHERE DID YOU GET YOURS?", "BAD BLACKJACK SESSION, CANT WIN!" "ALL THESE JACKPOTS! WHERE'S MINE?" "WHY WONT 17 & 21 HIT?"

If we had more losing trip reports, it would bring people down to Earth.

My 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.