1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wifi from Gate-to-Gate on Southwest

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by engicedave, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

No more powering down! Starting today, you will be able to use your small portable electronic devices, including smartphones, tablets, and e-readers, in "airplane mode" from gate-to-gate on all Southwest Airlines® flights!

Our satellite-based WiFi allows you to enjoy uninterrupted access to free live and on-demand TV compliments of DISH® or for $8 a day per device, you can stay connected onboard all day, even during stops and connections.

We're proud to be the only airline to offer you gate-to-gate connectivity on the majority of our fleet. So as you get ready to head out for your Thanksgiving travel, be sure to bring your fully charged WiFi-enabled device and headphones with you to stay connected and entertained above and below 10,000 feet!

For more information, visit southwest.com/wifi.

See you onboard soon!

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew last week (SWA) and when they made the announcement, a guy in the row in front of me (like row 3) starts in on, "the FAA says we don't have to power down anymore, blah, blah, blah". The attendant was extremely nice and replied their policy at the current time remains the same... to which he started in with his "personal liberty bullshit". She walked right next to him and said, so that only those close could hear, "follow the rules or not, it's your choice..." and walked off. He, of course, continued powered-up and ran his mouth most of the flight. I just hate people like that...

I fly again in the morning... the new policy should be nice... one less thing for some to rail against "the man" about.

3. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smart, nothing demonstrates an amateur flyer like that-guy. In August some guy started arguing with the flight attendant because she rightfully told him his girlfriend could not sit in the exit row. She spoke no English and could not respond to the attendants standard questions. As he got up he started running his mouth about Southwest's Mickey Mouse rules... and that only SWA did that. Right, and they are the only airline to make you fasten your seat belt too...

Regarding SWA's free Direct TV. When we flew in October I watched almost all of the Sunday night game. Amazing how that can make the flight time seem less. Really good signal too. Granted, the flight outbound had no wifi, it was down.

4. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoa whoa - remember, it is DISH Network that is providing the free live TV on SWA. No need to give the other company a plug ;) just kidding. I agree I watched the Sunday night football game now twice coming back from Vegas and it really does help the flight time go by. The fact that we were going 645mph with a strong tailwind and got back to Chicago in 2 hours in 45 minutes helped also.

5. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's Dish Network and yeah I watched my Redskins/Vikings Thursday-nighter that I thought I'd miss. The signal was near flawless.

Fantastic perk.

6. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was about to post this. You beat me to it. Good stuff. So your own phone service will be out of range?

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never been on a sw flight with televisions, how many have them?

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's streaming to your device. No TVs.

9. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Silly question ... will a smartphone in airplane mode receive a wifi signal?

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely

11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And it's $8 a flight? seems kinda high unless it's a long flight.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WiFi is $8, but the Dish TV is free until the end of the year. Mostly crappy TV shows, but like on this last flight, my DVD player died, so it came in handy to pass the time.

13. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

Not exactly.

You need to be in airplane mode, but you do need to turn on the wifi on smartphone

14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, turn on it's wifi.

Actually I think airplane needs to be off. Airplane mode all cuts off wireless signals.

15. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dag, I thought it would be a perk forever.

16. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Androids, it depends on how the carrier set it up.

On the iPhone airplane mode kills all signals but then you can manually turn on wifi.

My galaxy and motorolas worked like the iPhone.

17. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went in last night and checked and my flight says N/A. Oh well, I guess I will do what I usually do....look out the window and try to nap (which is usually a no go) lol

18. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lean something new everyday. Just did a test on my android ... airplane mode turns off wifi but it can be manually re-activated. I didn't know that, thanks. :thumbsup:

19. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flew this morning and the announcement when they close the doors is, "the doors are closed all devices need to be in airplane mode, no more conversations." or something like that... no more "power down" or "10,000 feet" or anything... gate to gate.

20. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wish and Busy, I stand corrected. Made me laugh.

I am beginning to cringe, looking into the future and realizing that someday they will allow phone calls. Can you imagine sitting next to that Jerry Springer-guest passenger who is fighting with the significant other on the phone, for three or more hours... Or the most important widget salesman in North America who is yapping about making sure Jimmy has lined up his aggregated leads for the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.