1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker VP Mishap - twice

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by kel3420, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So while I was in Vegas a couple of weeks back, I was playing VP at Sullys at Ballys. You know how you just sort of start zoning out? I was dealt something, can't remember what, held two cards, and then pushed the button to draw, and realized I held the wrong cards. Well that was weird. I'd better pay better attention. Next hand, I go to hold a card, and the card to the left is held instead. I toggle that a couple of times, same thing happens and happens to all three of the cards on the right side. I thought I was losing my mind. I call over the bartender, and tell him the machine is broken. Of course, I get a "uh huh" look and he pushes a card. Same thing happens. Okay, I'm not losing my mind. He calls a slot tech over, and the machine is "recallibrated". Ten minutes later, same friggin thing, and it was hitting. But of course, right? Another tech comes over, looks at it, and takes the machine totally out of commission.

Slightly annoying for me, but boy does that make the bartenders mad, rightly so. My last trip, a girl next to me, spilled an entire foo foo drink right into the machine. SO NOT GOOD. The bartender was livid, ended up yelling at the girl, he was out a machine now, and that was so much money in his pocket, yada yada. Can you say awkward? Lol. The girl ended up complaining to someone, management came over to interview me and others sitting there. I SO tried staying out of it, but the bartender ended up having to go home right there and then.

So it's obviously a big deal when these machines are down.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm glad the girl complained and I'm glad you were truthful about the bartender's attitude... Bally doesn't need that attitude representing them and the bartender needs to understand that.

3. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Barroom Vp machines malfunction a lot and are known to have either sticky buttons or buttons that do not hold at all. If you think of all of the crap that gets spilled on them its a miracle they work at all. You will also notice that on every machine there us a sticker stating it is the players responsibility to ensure that the correct cards are held (or something to that effect).

4. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YIKES! I get why the bartender is upset about broken machines and losing tips but to go off yelling at a customer for spilling a drink is stepping way out of line.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Truth be told I've spilled my share of drinks and never, I repeat never, has a bartender ever said more then "no problem" or "I'll get you a new one".

One time I knocked over a glass and it broke. It was right above the ice bin and it was possible that a few shards might have gone in there. Me, profusely apologizing, bartender-no problem as they completely empty the ice bin.:drunk:

Back to the OP, I suspect it was the touch screen that was having a problem, not the buttons. I've got a crappy little Samsung Tablet and every once in a while I have to do the screen recalibration. I've seen them do the same on VP screens.

6. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes it was the touch screen having the issues. 3/5 of the buttons didn't work at all lol

7. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had issues back in 2002 at the boardwalk. Machine was hitting like crazy but would not pay out or accept coins, they put it out if order too

8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a fairly common problem caused by spilled drinks.

Just think about how many fingers have hit that touch screen. Just like any machine, bang the shit out of it for long enough and they quit working properly. Hmm, that also applies to something else in life.

At the risk of sounding like a weird nerd, it isn't a bad idea to bring along some of those handi-wipe things.

9. flysrb

flysrb Hey Now!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Now!!!!

I play at bartops most of the time. They always seem to stick or have other problems. If you bang on the edge of them, sometimes they will quit acting up. Never had a bartender do anything but help out when there is a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.