1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Russell Peters jokes about modern DJs

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by Kickin, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kickin

Kickin Flea

If you don't know him, Russell Peters is a very popular stand-up comedian. I was watching his latest special on Netflix the other night and his opening joke was about the modern DJ vs the classic ones. I immediately thought of the megaclubs in Vegas geared towards the EDM scene. Its just a minute long but pretty funny...

[YOUTUBE]H6uuoqARsYg[/YOUTUBE]

2. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Modern DJs are somewhat laughable.

It's like, great, you made a nice mix and can press a button for a light show at the appropriate time. Yayyy.

Hell, the light shows can be preprogrammed.

3. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I dont get it at all. Dumbest shit ever and they make $20M per year...

4. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a couple friends that are big into DJin and EMD music. One day I was like what the fuck do you actually do since I don't understand any of this nonsense. He showed me all his equipment and software and everything he does to make a mix and it actually looked like some pretty complicated stuff. Or maybe I'm just and idiot cause it all just went over my head.

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a feeling that you didn't really care about the stuff may also have something to do with it. I know I wouldn't care about it.

6. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like Russell Peters a lot. He interacts with the audience and has friends from his high school years working with/for him.
    Loves his mom and brother and always keeps his dearly departed dad in his thoughts.
    Seems to have a real affection for hip hop and rap, instead of trying to be hip by having a dj at his appearances, he actually loves that
    genre of music.
    He lives in Vegas, so that's a plus too. Nice guy.

7. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The guys making that much are the ones that are producing and DJing.

8. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i just laugh a little. Big name DJ's have alot more into it than you think. They lay beat over beat over beat and sometimes it takes them days or weeks to get it the way they like it. Yes, once they make a tune, then its saved, but most of the dj's in Vegas dont play the same song with the same beats very often. They lay something over it, add more.

9. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LV LD....no disrespect meant but honestly, that still doesn't sound like tough work to me. I guess it's just one of those things that doesn't quite pencil in real life..kind of like professional athletes and entertainers (music and acting). They just get what they get because that's what they get:beer:

10. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, its not a hard job. Look at how many DJs there are and look at how many make it big. Armin van Buren was discussing his life. I know it doesn't seem rough, but traveling all the time, the life investment. My thought is a little more work to be a dj than a comedian. Geez, I wanted to be a firefighter when I first moved to Vegas, but became a bartender

11. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's not DJing. That's producing and then playing it back.

I'm not saying they don't work hard making the music but at a venue it's mostly playback.

That's partly what makes it laughable compared to classic DJs.

12. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's harder for a comedian cuz they have to talk to the crowd. EDM is EDM. Funny is much more subjective, imo.

Add to that, modern DJs are playing preprogrammed music and a comedian has to actually....perform. The equivalent would be a comedian walking on stage, pressing a button for his voice work and pumping his fist.

I will say this tho'. Even many classic DJs don't necessarily mix on the fly anymore and at least modern DJs are making their own shit.

13. worldtraveler661

worldtraveler661 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not all DJs just press play and turn knobs and push buttons.

Alot of them actually compose music/beats just like any other producer.

I'm sure most on this forum know of DJs as like "radio DJs" or like a wedding DJ who just mixes a bunch of other peoples music and mashup song to song.

But most of these DJs who actually make music are no different than lets say Dr. DRE, the rapper, who does beats and produces for many artists. Theyre basically similar to the people who compose the music for many artists today. The only difference is some of these DJs songs dont necessarily have vocals to it. But many actually do and if you heard these songs, you wouldnt think a DJ actually was behind it all.

http://youtu.be/ZgRnLM9Vi24
    Here's an example
    Above & Beyond is DJ group of 3 guys. They are in the genre of Trance within EDM.

http://youtu.be/ZOGz4MIPL04
    Bobina is a russian trance DJ who also has many songs with vocals.

Of course the DJ sets at clubs arent all vocal like this but they do incorporate songs like these within these sets and its not all just songs from everyone else.

14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's not DJjing tho'.

That's producing.

15. Kickin

Kickin Flea

LOL no way. That's not what I think of when I think of DJs. I think of hip hop and house music DJs who mix and scratch unbelievably, and that is what Russell Peters is referring to. That's what it used to be at all the clubs and parties when we were younger, and those DJs were also well known and followed. But they spun like crazy the entire time.

It is still huge in NY at least, I don't know about elsewhere. Some of my friends are still big into it and very occasionally I'll go out with them. It'll be packed and everyone is dancing, and in my opinion the vibe and crowd is beyond anything I've ever seen in EDM scenes. That's largely due to very talented DJs. The good male/female ratio adds to that, but I guess the poor ratio is not an EDM issue but just a Vegas club issue.

16. worldtraveler661

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya what I'm saying is... they can do both.

Ya at the clubs, theyre not making music from scratch. LOL.
    We all know that. But they still are talented musicians who have great knowledge of music is my point. The club is a diff scenario...

17. worldtraveler661

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have plenty of EDM DJs that can also mix and scratch that do play the Vegas scene. A-Trak(if you are familiar, is one of the well known DJ scratch aritst) He's won a bunch of World DJ competitions in the 90s. and he's a regular at Light Nightclub. Also DJ Vice, who plays all over Vegas and he's not just an club DJ but also has roots in the vinyl era. Another is DJ Five, he's at the Bank and few other clubs around Vegas. These guys are vinyl guys and scratch DJs. Theres more like Fashen and a few of the other Skam Artist guys that frequent Vegas that also have roots in scratching and hip hop.

These guys play to what the scene is. You can't blame em for not playing vinyl and scratching all night. Thats not what the Vegas vibe is all about. I saw A-trak at Light 3 weeks ago and he incorporated some scratching on his sets and it was pretty sick. But you cant do that for 2 hrs straight for these bottle poppin crowd. Its different.

I get what you're saying about how that still brings out the crowd. Yes it still does here in the West Coast as well. But mega clubs in Vegas arent gonna fill up with that style of music. If it did, 1OAK and Tryst would all be the top clubs right now. LOL.

As far as poor ratio, personally I think thats just perception based on the time you are in the club. Come in at 10-11pm and the ratio is crazy as far as women to men. Theres 2-3 women per 1 guy at times. But once the tables start filling up and the bottles start poppin, of course the women either end up filling up those tables or are done for the night at 1am. So you see them start dwindling at the end of the night.
    Vegas dancefloors are so tight, that most of these women dont like being in a floor elbow to elbow. So it ends up being mostly guys in there. But when its much more open, you'll see more of them in there earlier in the night.

These are my observations. I dont live in Vegas so im not a super expert But I would say I do an average of 3 Vegas club nights per month the past 3 years and thats how its been at the big clubs lately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.