1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TSA Pre-check

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by kps, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my way back from SF on 10/24 for our 10:50 flight, we were there at 8:30, my wife and I were chosen to go to another line and just walk through w/o taking off shoes, belts and directed us to keep everything in our pockets and just put the wife's purse on the xray line.4 were ahead of us when we got on the line

Literally 3 minutes through security. Anyone seeing this elsewhere?

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On Southwest I believe business class can go straight through.

Odd, but I thought they would get tougher after LAX.

3. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sounds like they re-directed you to the TSA pre-check screening line. I have seen that in other places where the normal lines are backed up and pre-check is wide open. Pre-check is nice. :thumbsup:

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I've had Pre-Check for over a year now (given to me as Delta Gold medallion) and it's great. My husband and I just completed our Global Entry interviews (for expedited immigration & customs on return from international trips) and he should be able to access Pre-Check now as well since he has a Trusted Traveler number.

However, it is frustrating to those of us who earned (through frequent flying) or paid for the benefit that it is being given away, esp if there are then people slowing down the speedy lines because they don't know or understand the different rules....

5. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TSA has recently expanded the number of people who can use pre-check. The old perk of only a few people in front of you in line is no more. At LAS on October 27th, Terminal 1 lines were at least 20 minutes for pre-check. The biggest problem is you have a whole bunch of people in pre-check now who are infrequent travelers and don't know what to do. The bags don't push themselves through the scanner.....

At IAH a couple of weeks ago, the pre-check lines were 2-3 times as long as the regular lines for those who are United Elite travelers.....it was completely crazy.

It was nice while it lasted.

6. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't Pre-Check a random thing when utilizing your Trusted Traveler number (outside any frequent flyer program). I have Pre-Check as a part of my frequent flyer program, normally I think it is random.

7. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just left the Vegas airport today and had Pre Check. Have no clue how we got that but it was on the boarding passes that American Airlines printed for us. No one in the line with us understood it either and were trying to take shoes off and belts off.

Sema Show
  8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who knows what goes on in their algorithms, BUT, one would think that those who have been certified as Trusted Travelers would be assured Pre-Check. I don't think that's always the case, but if random people are getting pre-check AND Trusted Travelers are NOT, the system is badly broken.

(I follow the Delta board on Flyertalk and the assumption there is that it is the airline's responsibility to transfer your Trusted Traveler number to TSA when they report the flight manifest - many people whose names were incorrect in their Delta profile who fixed the issue found their Pre-Check increased.)

9. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not specifically related to pre-check but Southwest had a great rate out of Indianapolis in October so we drove from Illinois to fly. Indy's airport appears brand new and it's obviously designed to accommodate new rules. One really big plus, you do not need to remove your belt or shoes when passing through the machine. Just empty your pockets.

10. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was leaving Vegas last month a TSA guy told me to go to this "other line". I was like uhh ok, then another guy checked my hands for bomb making crap. After that I walked right through without having to take anything off. Like OP said it took less than 3 minutes. Don't know how or why I got selected, but it was awesome and hope I can do that every time.

11. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They had 2 lines in Knoxville on my last trip out. All it seemed to do was slow up the main line as most people didn't realize what was going on and were getting in the wrong lines.

On the return flight back at McCarran, I went thru Terminal 3 and the line for regular security was 20-30 minutes long and snaked back and forth. Near the end of the line where it curved near the Pre-Check line, they opened up the ropes and told about 20-25 of us to go to the Pre-Check line and informed us that it was our luck day and explained what line we were in and what we were to do. It was quick to get thru, but the whole regular process seemed to be a mess now because of the addition of these dedicated lines.

12. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    had it for a while dealta ,united have it.

keep everything on runs real good and quick

13. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with this and I don't even have Pre.

I happen to like security and if non-trusted folk are getting waived through, security is going backwards.

That's akin to giving clearance to government facilities without being screened.

Dumb.

Take the time to get to airport earlier and suffer that bit of inconvenience it takes to try to ensure you aren't blown up in the sky.

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe some people are very naive about what goes on at airports. You really should read some of what happens over at flyertalk.com Most of the TSA stuff is just window dressing. If you think going through security makes us safer, and you feel good, that's fine.

15. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have Global Entry and while Pre-Check isn't quite "assured", I've only not gotten it once. The randomness is in the fact that even if you have a Trusted Traveler number, you're not guaranteed to always get it. To get it through a Trusted Traveler program, there's generally a bit more involved; for Global Entry, I had to fill out a 7-year job and residence history, plus get fingerprinted (which is similar to the background check I've had to go through for bar admissions and security clearances).

16. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a NEXUS card which I had to have a background check and get interviewed and fingerprinted by Canadian authorities. On this card is my Trusted Traveler number.

17. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It may be part window dressing but I know a free-for-all isn't the way to go.

I mean, what would you rather have? Just go through the gate and get on the plane.

I mean I know of places where your ID is visually checked before you swipe in. Is that window dressing?

I think some people are naïve if they think their inconvenience trumps what little security we get.

18. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing people forget is that Pre is also no good for really late flights.

19. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate what the folks at the TSA do for us.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  20. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm assuming you mean late in the day, and if so, it's not even necessarily "really late"; I got burned in Atlanta flying Delta because I didn't realize the lane shuts down at 7pm. I also got stuck when I was flying United out of Newark because the only Precheck lanes are in Terminal C, but a handful of United flights leave out of Terminal A. Seeing the Precheck symbol on the boarding pass but not being able to use it is a killer.

Thankfully the lanes at LAS are open until midnight for the most part. And notwithstanding the few times I've missed it, it's still made flying a significantly better experience overall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.