1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Booking trough travel site then asking for upgrade

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Happygirl21, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure this is the right thread so if not, admin please feel free to move, thanks.

Here's my deal. If I book a trip through Jetblue getaway I can get a 4 night stay for less than what the airfare alone will cost from NJ. Being from NJ and having 4 CET properties within an easy driving distance I am pretty "loyal" to them.

With that said I casually mentioned to my host," let's say I book a trip through Jetb, would it be possible to upgrade my booking room?" She told me that her hands are tied if I use a travel site.

So I am wondering, what are the odds I could get an upgrade at check-in at the counter? I have never done the 20. thing ( I feel to awkward) Being that I have yet to stay at Flamingo or Rio I would probably try one of those. I think the travel site books a Fab room but I have been told to go with a GO room only. When I was there a few weeks ago I stopped in Flamingo and asked if I could see a room or two and was shot down.

My other thought was just booking the least expensive room avail, not CET but, any old place strictly for the airfare, and staying wherever I wanted, I know I can get a room at a CET property. But I don't know if I would actually have to check in to the room booked through the travel site, so not to mess up my air coming back home?

On the flip side maybe it would just be best book something DT, I have not yet stayed down there and want to, but I feel like 2 of the 4 nights DT would be enough.

Just wondering if anyone has any input about upgrades/travel sites.

Thanks a bunch:peace:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Generally, rooms via 3rd party are off limits to host and even front desk types. They just get a regular room. Done.

I would consider taking that deal since the airfare is cheaper - which seems very strange. Anyway, take their plane deal.

Then book what you want with CET.

3. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

Agreed, take the deal

Then you have two choices....check in and use whatever they give you, which may give your host more latitude on any discretionary comps...maybe you can have the host comp you a show instead of a room, for example.

OR

Take the deal and ditch the room in the offer (check in, and walk away)....DO NOT "NO SHOW" IT, they'll likely be some penalty for no showing.
    Then use the room/upgrade offered by the host

4. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just looked up Jetblue getaway again for s^*3s and giggles, now not that I want to stay here, but here is one deal-

Stratosphere 3 nights w/ airfare, direct flights to & from ..$299.76 double occupancy, this is the least expensive package.

They go up from there, I'm looking end of Jan. Honestly I have paid as much as 500. just for airfare in the past. Crazy right?

5. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

But is your trip two people?

Because the deal is really for $599.52 and likely plus taxes and fees, for two people

6. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just went back to JB site and the $599. is including taxes :)

This trip, more likely than not, would be with a friend (not my preferred method of Vegas travel, but..lol) So we would each be paying our own costs just booking together. Still for 2 people round trip and accommodations not too bad.

Last yr I went around the same time, went through my host and got comped 5 nights in Octavious at Caesars, so if I did do some package through JB, checked in to Strat but stayed at a CET property it might be a sweet set up???

7. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, About a year ago, I booked Flamingo last minute, (as in noon of day of checkin) via the app Hotel Tonight, (great rates by the way for last minute bookings). I was able to do the $20 tip and get upgraded to GO room, was very nice, even had that side view of the Bellagio fountains.

That was my first time trying the $20 trick and felt totally awkward but have done it twice since then, easier and easier each time.

8. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is going to sound so silly but even thinking about trying it makes me feel all butterfly-ish,lol. But it does seem to work, maybe next time I will have to have a few cocktails on the plane, close to landing time, and muster up the courage to try :beer:lol..

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check on the price for a room where you will get the free CET room. Let you friend have one room, and you do the other.

But, as said, do not NO SHOW the room. Check in. Check the room. Put DO NOT DISTURB sign on door and leave. Done all the time.

10. Cherrymilf

Cherrymilf Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

I know how expensive the airfare is from NJ to LV, and it's awful from Newark. If you live in South Jersey, is Philadelphia airport an option? It's positively sick that UAL offers N/S R/T air from PHL to LAS for $178, versus $388 from Newark for many dates in the next couple of months. PHL is 2 hours from me so I'll probably never try that option. :peace:

11. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny me too. I'm near the Morris/Warren cnty area.

Actually my last two trips have been from PHL only because of the rates.(and then after I bought the tickets my bf and a good friend ended up giving me the airfare money back as a gift,lol) I have also done Allentown, pa and JFK. But never Newark and that is pretty close to me.

But thanks a bunch for the input:beer:

12. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to work in a hotel and i agree with the others, whatever you do make sure you check in, there will be charges if you do not, then do whatever it is you want to do. Would having your friend stay there and u stay at your preferred place an option or do you want to stay together?

13. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first stay at El Cortez was through a broker. I thought I would get the ugly stepchild treatment since the price was about half of what the hotel charges. To my surprise, the clerk asked if I'd like the queen suite (Vintage), sent me with the bell hop to look at it an then to look at a tower room. I was booked for a tower room. she asked me if I wanted a Strip view or Mountain View and then a choice of several floors. I never did the $20 trip so it wasn't for that reason, though I did tip her when I signed in.

Other times I called for a room and the clerk gave me a list of brokers to check for availability and prices,,,,even gave me their numbers. Got to love the EC!

Jimbo338

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.