1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Luxor or Excalibur Buffet

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Vagabond, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vagabond

Vagabond Guest

So for the MyVegas Rewards, I picked the Excalibur and Luxor Buffet. Yeah I know both not good buffet places from what I've been told. But can't be any worse that what my step-father makes. So which is best for Breakfast, and which one is best for Lunch in your opinion? I'll be visiting Vegas alone it looks like on the 26th, but still hoping to have some fun.

Of course I'll also still be doing a eating challenge at one of the nearby restaurants, but it will probably be on the 27th before I leave Vegas. Unless I have luck with an item I plan to bring by the Pawn Stars shop, if so I might stay and play longer.

2. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well since I haven't been to the Excalibur buffet since they first opened (in the 90's I believe) I really can't honestly comment on them, but after that first one I swore I'd never return... However, we frequent the Luxor buffet almost every time we come to LV and my whole family for some reason loves their buffet. We had all three, breakfast, lunch, and dinner without a complaint.

3. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only been to the Excal once and I will never go back there again, pretty disgusting. I can't imagine the Luxor being worse so I'd pick that one.

4. anton73

anton73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only been to Luxor for breakfast and it was average.

5. Mowsee

Mowsee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't tried Excalibur but did lunch at Luxor in April with a MyVegas voucher and it was absolutely awful!

6. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Luxor. I've tried both. Neither are great but you can still find something to eat at both. Luxor wins just by a nose.

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Guest

Ok next question, what should I avoid from the buffets? Food you don't suggest eating. It's starting to sound like a health inspector needs to visit these places.

8. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The peel and eat shrimp was horrible. The breakfast sausage was pretty bad too...

9. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's been 15 years or more since we ate at the Excalibur buffet. I remember it being okay but nothing special, especially for a Vegas buffet. We used to love the Luxor buffet. It was never anything awesome or gourmet but always decent for the price and since we used to always be staying at the Luxor we always ate there a time or two.

We went there last December when we stayed one night at the Luxor (virtually nothing else was open). It was pretty bad. Food barely hot. Not a big variety. *Self-serve* drinks! Hardly any desserts. My SO was livid and I was just so depressed. And the Pyramid Cafe, one of our longtime favorites for late night dining, especially, was totally closed. I think the formerly 24 hour cafe is now only open for breakfast and maybe lunch.

On the other hand, for a "free" meal, I suspect the Luxor will be fine and since it's likely going to be a lot busier than when we were there (right before Christmas), you're also more likely to find the food turnover better and such.

10. dalej42

dalej42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used My Vegas rewards at both. I picked Excalibur for breakfast, it is almost impossible to mess up breakfast and Excalibur was fine. The coffee was strong, just the way I like it. Eggs were fine, sausage was fresh, and the biscuits were decent.

Luxor did quite a nice job for dinner. In particular, the fresh pasta station was very good. I know, they're eager to fill you up on starch and you're not going to find a ton of expensive seafood options here. I did find salmon fillets of ok quality.

Both are fine for decent meals. You're not going to impress a date here, but if you're looking to fill up after a long sightseeing day, they work quite well.

11. slimmy28

slimmy28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had dinner at Luxor Buffet in 2004...long time ago, but I remember it being pretty good. So much has probably changed in 9 years that I wouldn't put too much stock in my review.

I went to the Excalibur buffet this past May for lunch and it was awful and I got sick later that night. Not saying I got sick from the buffet, but I wasn't drinking, was hydrated and felt just awful. The food when it was going down was blah and had little flavor. I remember having some chicken (buffet staple) and BBQ brisket (ok, at best) along with a few sides. I remember vividly when I was walking out thinking to myself (you get what you pay for). I believe it was about $15 or so, but I had like a $3 or $5 coupon.

So to answer your question, I would give the Luxor a try if those are the two you are considering. Good Luck!

12. -(J)-

-(J)- Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cant recommend Luxor enough over the Excalibur buffet! I have not been to either in at least 4 years but some things will never change.
    Avoid Excal at all costs! The Buffet at Luxor looks a lot nicer and cleaner.

I don't remember Luxor dinner being bad. I think it was better years ago when it was called Pharaohs Feast.

13. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for posting this. :licklips:
    Using MyVegas reward next week for both buffets all day. Just wanted something of mediocre taste to fill up the gas tank for a day.

14. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember just viewing the Luxor buffet and thinking that I would not return. The same is true of a whole host of buffets in Vegas I have actually tasted (even places like Mandalay Bay and MGM were so blah and sometimes bleh). I would not go out of my way to eat at Excalibur buffet but it's large, spacious and the food for breakfast was just fine. I would choose Excalibur over Luxor for breakfast.

15. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few weeks ago, the Excalibur and Luxor had a cross promotion, $35 for an all day buffet pass. If you bought two, they tossed in a bottle of Pepto Bismol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.