1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bacon sandwich?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by armybrat, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armybrat

armybrat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple years ago on the Travel Channel they showed an eatery on the Strip that featured a delicious lookin' sandwich that had at least a half pound of bacon on it.

Anybody have a clue where that is?

2. Bgeorgeee

Bgeorgeee Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hash house A go go has a bacon, bacon, bacon lettuce and tomato, I bet that is what it was. I have had it, pretty good

3. Beach Crazy

Beach Crazy Hostess With the Mostess

Or it could be Carnegie Deli at Mirage. :licklips:

4. vegas_junkie

vegas_junkie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I had the BLT at Carnegie Deli and it had a ridiculous amount of bacon on it. Plenty for the sandwich, and a lot I just piled to the side for a snack :evillaugh

5. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a 100% thread highjack because I am referencing bacon. Black Bear Diner has some of the absolutely best bacon I have ever tried. Granted, you need a rental to get there but it is worth it.

6. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It may have been Carnegie Deli since all of their other sandwiches are off the charts on the portions. Maybe like this?

[​IMG]

7. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That loooks wonderful. Thank you gguerra.

8. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yummmmmmo! Lol!!

9. Guy

Guy Captain of the Heads

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lose the lettuce and tomato, add some brown sauce and a mug of tea. Perfect.

10. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    and use proper bacon huh?

:D

11. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Bacon butty! That's a good sandwich. I think local grub in the UK blows except for your pub food, you guys have that down cold.

12. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seriously? One doesn't need to know how to cook at all to fry bacon and put it on bread with tomato and lettuce....

13. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ain't that the truth?! Their overall contributions to the world culinary scene may not be enormous, but those cats can make one helluva bacon sammich!:licklips:

14. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes seriously.

15. asti

asti Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been in the states 12 days so far. I am craving a "proper" bacon buttie, or even a sausage buttie! (on Wharbies bread)

16. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love it. My brother-in-law is from part of the other English-speaking/-conquered world, and he goes batz on our streaky bacon.

I was thinking the same thing, but then at some point you could say that about most anything ordered out, depending on one's skills and access to inputs. But a stack o' bacon? Sure, I'd do that at Alpenglow Cafe in Bend, Oregon, for instance, because they source the most phenomenal bacon. But since I know my guy locally, I'll save that "treat" for when I get home. Good artisanal bread, heirloom toms ...

It's like getting fired up over a burger or the "best" steak; we're eating through cow here from a rancher/friend, and I've never had beef that good anywhere else, ever. It's all relative. (We have a rancher here at vmb who can speak to this.)

lol

Reminds me of our first trip to the antipodes. After 23 days or whatever we were craving something "American." It was a wasted effort and we realized we missed one last opp to eat locally and unique.

17. airball1996

airball1996 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gross....and we wonder why there are no thin people left in this country....

18. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMg, just seeing the title "Bacon Sandwich" made me instantly hungry for some before I even opened the thread. Seriously, I have to limit frequency with which I'm let loose in a breakfast buffet just due to the sheer amount of bacon I will consume. Mmmmmmmm :drooling:

19. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah - friend of mine in NH runs an organic farm. I've had chicken and burgers up there (picked the garlic to add to them) and they tasted way better than any chicken or burgers I've eaten anywhere. ever. just simply grilled ...

the eggs for breakfast were amazing too...

and now he's opened a small brewery......

I'm sad that he doesn't keep pigs......

The problem with the "real" bacon/burgers etc is that you are trying to replicate a taste you are used to in an environment that doesn't have the right resources (be it a simple as water - it does taste different and that can make a difference - especially in baking).

Enjoy whats around you and try new things.

I tend to make a lot of English things at home rather than try to source them out. I know what I'm cooking with and it works well.

I may even try to make proper bacon one day but I'd need a real butcher (not a big supermarket) to get the cut of meat I need. not many left now but I may have located one in tampa..

still can't replicate cadburys though :(

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All so well stated, kudos. And for a travel site, this is what really jumps out:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.