1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Heritage Steak?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by KarenTN, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarenTN

KarenTN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone been here yet? We want to try this place and I have it penciled in for our last night in town.

for reference purposes, the other nights we have dinner plans for:

Sunday: Jaleo at Cosmopolitan
    Monday: PUB at Monte Carlo ( I have the dinner and beer pairing thingy from MyVegas)
    Tuesday: Sirio at Aria ( I think I will start another thread about this one because I have not heard anything really about it, but I am loving the look of the $49 early evening menu)
    Wednesday: Gordon Ramsay Steak

I am quickly becoming obsessed with the duck entree I see on the Heritage Steak menu. Oh, and as the menu has no prices, I am wondering if it is reasonable to expect 2 people to get out of here for less than $200 before tip? I am thinking a salad or appetizer each, an entree for each and a split desert, plus 1-2 drinks each

2. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With drinks, I don't think you get out of there with prices that low. Prices can be found here. I expect cocktails to be around $10-18 each. It really depends on what you order, of course. If you get a steak with an expensive first course and drinks I'd say $130-150 each would be a safer budget.

3. KarenTN

KarenTN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So $200 for 2 food only it looks like? Then about $60 -ish for drinks. We will plan accordingly.

But what I really want to know is how good the food and service is. I will go search for reviews on the intranets

4. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The GF and I have been wanting to try it out, so I can't help you there. We are huge fans of the service and food at Craftsteak (until we dined at Le Cirque, it had been the standard of service that we compared other restaurants to). We find the staff at Craftsteak to be very attentive but unobtrusive, clearing plates and refilling drinks without disrupting conversations, sometimes without us noticing. I can only hope that Heritage servers are trained just as well.

5. KarenTN

KarenTN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had thought Craftsteak, but we are stayting at Caesars, and the Mirage is right next door. And it's his first trip to Vegas ever, so he wants us to eat at some places that are new to me too.

6. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we ate their with a group last weekend. it was good. nice vib. a little crowded. had A5 Kobe (sp?). it was good, very fatty. quail app was good and different. didn't enjoy caesar salad. parts of it were grilled. go figure.

7. buomalley

buomalley Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had dinner there last Saturday. We thought the food and service were both excellent. We are big fans of Craftsteak and felt that HS was just as good.

8. KarenTN

KarenTN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

OK, I completely 10000% trust your food reviews. Heritage Steak it is.

9. Saaz

Saaz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ate there 3 weeks ago. My steak was just OK. I ordered MR and it came rare, very rare. They took it back and I waited so long for it that my brother had to waive the waiter over and ask if it was coming. It arrived as the other three were almost done eating. It was now done correctly but it was tough because I had cut of some of the fat away. Two people had the braised short ribs which were excellent. My wife still talks about the ribs. The sides were average at best. Had the cauliflower which was supposed to be wood roasted, but many pieces were still raw. I am glad you are saving Gordon Ramsay Steak for the last night because that place will blow Heritage away. Best steak and service I have ever had at a steakhouse, period.

10. KarenTN

KarenTN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well, I was all set for Heritage steak. But I got an email from Caesars with an offer for a room at Augustus tower (which I already have reserved) PLUS dinner for 2 at Guy Savoy!!!! We are responsible for anything over $400, but yes, if I can have a $600 dinner for 2 and only pay $200 + tip(yes I know to tip based on the entire amount), I am super good with this! Heritage steak can wait until another trip.

This is assuming my host will change the offer attached to my reservation to this one.

11. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait, were you given back the same piece of meat you sent back? A restaurant of that caliber should not have put the underdone steak (that you had to have cut into to realize it was under) back on the grill. After being taken off the grill, going through the resting process, plating, delivery, and then you cutting into it, that piece of meat definitely will not come to medium rare and be as good as a steak cooked correctly to medium rare in the first place.

In contrast, during my last visit to Gordon Ramsay Steak, one of my friends thought his steak was just slightly under the medium rare he had ordered (I thought it looked fine). His plate was taken away and a new steak was delivered in about 10 minutes. I was skeptical, but the char and crust was perfect, it looked like it had had time to rest correctly, and there were no indications that it had been cooked using a higher temp. For a steak that takes 20-30 minutes to cook to medium rare, I'm not sure how the kitchen was able to deliver a replacement in 5-6 minutes (to allow 4 minutes for replating and delivery), but that's a well-run kitchen!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  12. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this steak the whole cow? A good sirloin would take about 5 mins (2.5 each side) to do medium.

13. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was the 24oz. bone-in rib eye. Does it really cook that fast? I assumed around 1-2 minutes per side to get the crust (and maybe an extra 2 minutes to stand it up and render the strip of fat along the edge) and then it gets moved to indirect heat to come up to temperature. The 1" thickness was almost completely medium rare with very minimal gradient throughout until the edges where it was fully cooked due to the sear. So I'm pretty sure it didn't spend the entire cooking time over direct heat (especially at the grill temperatures steakhouses achieve).

14. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would expect it to be cooked in 10 minutes. Do restaurants bother with a resting period other than the one enforced by waiting for it to be served by the waiter?

I tried the indirect heat thing a few times and it didn't really make any difference in my opinion, but I guess they might to that at the restaurant.

15. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to derail the thread, but yes, the resting period on an elevated wire rack is very important for the kitchen. Turning out a steak directly onto the guest's plate would result in a messy plate as some of the steak's juices leak out. You'd also lose the bottom crust as it sits in contact with the liquid that comes out and the lack of air circulation allows condensation to form. Even nice burger places will rest their patties rather than go directly to the bun to prevent patty juices making the bottom bun soggy.

I think the indirect heat is important if you have a very thick steak and want to keep it all an edible medium rare. If you have a 1" steak and need to get the middle to medium rare, there's going to be a gradient of well-done, medium-well, and medium on each side. You wouldn't really end up with much of the meat at medium rare. Searing to get the crust and then spending 15-20 minutes on indirect heat (or in an oven) will cook the inside much more evenly. It also allows for slow and even heat distribution throughout the steak so that the excess heat retained near the outsides of the steak won't overcook the steak while it is resting.

16. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah6tyfour - I was eating at the bar at SW a few months ago when a guy sat down next to me and told the bartender he was in a hurry. The bartender told him to order a filet or ribeye as those are their most popular cuts so they always have a few cooking during the dinner rush.

That could be a possible explanation for the quick turn around.

17. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aha! Thanks! That does make sense. Start them cooking and then assign them to an order as they get to just under rare.

I still hope Saaz did not receive his original steak back, especially with that long wait time.

Back on topic:
    KarenTN, be sure to save room for the Sticky Toffee Pudding dessert at Gordon Ramsay Steak. It's his signature dessert and it's amazing. I think it just won "Best Dessert in Las Vegas" on one of the "Best of" lists in town (not that those lists are really indicative of anything).

18. Saaz

Saaz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah6tyfour, yes it was my original steak that I recieved. And because of all the reasons you stated, the steak was dry and tough with a less than a desirable flavor. I was shocked and disappointed. I am definitely more critical of a restaurant of this caliber any any decent chef would not have served the same steak. By the time I started eating again, the others were mostly finished. I hope they can get it together because the are better than this; at least they should be.

19. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, sorry to hear that! That should never have happened at a place like that and shows a complete disregard for the customer and the product they're putting out (and goes against Tom Colicchio's mantra about respecting the animal). In some states, putting food that has already been served back on the grill would actually be a health code violation. I really hope you have a better experience if you ever return. You should email the general manager since he might not even know the staff are doing this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.