1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My friend hit by a car in LV

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by captainron62, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A friend of mine that originally is from Ohio and now is a Sr. VIP HOST with the LIGHT group got hit by a car this week. Here is a posting from his FB acct. He is very lucky to be alive, everyone be careful. He has lived in worked in LV for 10 yrs., so if it can happen to him...........

Broken fibula, clavicle and multiple maxillary sinus fractures... Not to mention, my insides feel like @floydmayweather did some sparring in there. But, the doc says I'm lucky to be alive after getting hit by a sedan going 40mph and breaking his windshield with my face before flipping over and over doing face cartwheels with asphalt. All that flashed through my eyes is that I've never been as good as I could be at anything because I've never really tried. I've distanced myself from everyone these past few months, dealing with things I've had no control over and it wasn't the right thing. Maybe this is some kind of sick wake up call. Ones story is never fully written, just chapters and arcs. I'll be laid up at Sunset for a couple days. Love is love

schotts.jpg

shotss1.jpg

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow Ron... thanks for sharing this. I wish your friend the best for a swift recovery... it certainly is a good reminder not only about crossing streets, but our lives in general. I was hit by a car growing up in Akron at age 15, went over the hood, broke the windshield, but the car had slowed to more like 25 I'm told. Fortunately, I remember absolutely nothing of the event.

3. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish your friend the best of luck Ron. That sucks.

4. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope he has a smooth recovery. He is very lucky it wasn't more serious or fatal. Tell him not to beat himself up.

Did it make the news? I made a quick search and didn't see anything. I saw other stories about pedestrians hit by cars but not this one. I wouldn't mind reading about it.

5. DonkHappens

DonkHappens Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, that's terrible. Best of luck to him in his recovery, and a good reminder to the rest of us to be careful when walking out there(especially when drunk).

6. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh my gosh......that is so awful. I'm hoping your friend has a speedy recovery both physically and mentally. I can only imagine the pain he must be in.

7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another reminder of how fragile this life really is. Speedy recovery.

8. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Ron,
    Wow.....I hope he recovers fully.
    Any details you can give us ?
    He was crossing a street ?...jogging...biking, Etc
    ....time of day ?
    It was fascinating to hear what went thru his mind -
    as he was being hit + tumbling.

9. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish your friend a quick recovery it looks like he got hit pretty hard

any details on how it happened?

and from the last lines I would say you might want to give your friend a call it sounds like he has had a rough time recently (besides getting hit)

10. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got about 4 sentences of convo w him. He said it happened late last nigt/early this morn while he was jogging. Said driver stopped and helped him out. That was about all he had time for, also said he will recover fully, but it will be awhile.

11. searchin

searchin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for you, Capt Rons friend. Every time I'm in LV there is a pedestrian hit on the news. DH always complains that the speed limit is too fast in LV.

12. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOw that's so crazy. Happy to hear that he is recovering. Great note and eye-opening.

13. jackincols

jackincols Guest

A scary read, but glad he's gonna recover. Funny reading his FB...how something like that puts your life and what you have/haven't done in a whole new perspective.

14. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas has to be the most dangerous city in America to be a pedestrian. It seems like they have a lot more of these incidents than other places, and i am not talking about just the strip.

15. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm friends with him on facebook and its truly sad. Like he said. Some therapy he should be up and going, but lesson learned. At least the people helped

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2013
  16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ron, sending "get well" vibes for your friend. It's certainly a good reminder to keep your eyes open and your mind on where you're walking. I see too many car v pedestrian near misses every trip. Hope he has a quick recovery.

17. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not surprising though. 24 hour drinking and gambling see to that. In most cities drunk people are generally falling over the roads late at night when drivers are in bed. In Vegas they are doing it all times of day in a place that is always busy.

Clearly, that isn't what happened in this case - I was just addressing an obvious factor for more incidents. If indeed there are, it might just be perception.

18. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there is some truth to what you say

if you have even seen interviews with Vegas police officers especially ones that have worked other places that is one of the things they comment on quite frequently

that Vegas is a place where you can see the kinds of behaviors that you normally see at 1:30-3:00am in most places at any time of the day or night and you have to be aware of that when you go on a call...also probably something that those walking across the street (legally or not) or even on the sidewalk should be aware of as well......just because it is 2pm instead of 2am that does not mean the person driving is not in a 2am frame of mind

19. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have lived in Vegas a long time. I see people jogging and riding bikes in the roads where there are sidewalks. When I ride orjog I always use the sidewalk. People drink 24 hrs a day here and people just don't pay attention, especially in neighborhoods.

He's very lucky they stopped and did what they did.

20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep... and the speeds traveled on LV arterials are incredible IMHO. It's not unusual to be going 50+ and just going with the flow of traffic on these streets.
    The roads are wide and straight and lend themselves to higher speeds anyways. With regards to the Strip, "speed" obviously isn't the concern, but there's sooooo many distractions for drivers.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.