1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Help. College FB Rule?

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by jackincols, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackincols

jackincols Guest

My Uncle is driving me crazy. For those of you that didn't see the Ohio State-N'Western game, on the final play of the game, NW tried a multi lateral, fumbling with Ohio State falling on it in the endzone for a TD and 0.00 on the clock.

My Uncle is adamant that the extra point still needs to be kicked. I told him with zeros on the clock the game was over. He then threw me a curve when he said, "What if that TD resulted in the game being tied? Wouldn't they deserve the extra point try for the win?"

He does make a valid point and I didn't have an answer for that. It doesn't seem fair that the game would go into overtime without that extra point being tried?

Can someone furnish me with the NCAA college ruling on this so I can get my Uncle off of my back?

2. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have a copy of the rules, but the PAT is not mandated unless the outcome is in doubt. So if there is a go ahead touchdown as time expires (where the 6 points puts the team ahead) or if the team already winning scores, the officials will call the game over.

But if the score is tied or the scoring team is down 1 or 2 points, they will be allowed to kick an extra point or attempt a two point conversion.

So basically, if its non consequential, they deem it unnecessary.

3. GoHogs

GoHogs Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's rule 8-3-2-a. If a touchdown is scored during a down in which time in the fourth period expires, the try need not be attempted unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game. This means that if the team that scored is then ahead by more than two points, the try is not attempted.

It looks like this was changed in 2007, and prior to that the old rule required that the try be attempted unless the trailing team left the field.

In the NFL, the extra point is required after a touchdown is scored with 0:00 on the clock. There is, however, no try after a touchdown in overtime.

4. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Thanks you two. That really helps me end this.

With him being 78 and me being 66, we're both stubborn and set in our ways.:evillaugh

5. jackincols

jackincols Guest

This means that if the team that scored is then ahead by more than two points, the try is not attempted.

Okay, I just thought of this. If the team that scored the TD was then ahead by only two points it is mandated that they try for the extra point(s) correct?

That being the case who in the world would kick the extra point, taking a chance of a block and runback for a 2 point TD putting the game in overtime? If the team has to, just drop back and throw the ball out of the endzone.

6. GoHogs

GoHogs Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's always the possibility of a fumble on the snap...

7. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

They'd just take a knee.

The situation in question is pretty rare but does happen from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.