1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

WAX To Downtown Question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by dfalk, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never rode the bus before and always take taxis. Thinking about taking the WAX to save some money. Is this the way to do it: After getting to baggage claim at the airport I hang a right and head to normally where I would get a taxi, but this time I take the escalator down to level zero. After that I walk up the street a bit and look for the bus stop sign. I don't have to buy a pass, I just have $2 in my hand and give it to the driver when I get on the bus? Does that sound about right?

I'm headed to 4 Queens on a Mon about 1:30PM, I've read fares to there average about $25? I'm going with a buddy so we would split the cost. I'm kinda thinking the last thing I want to do after arriving is wait then sit on a bus for 30 min or so. Should I just taxi it and say screw the bus system?

2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After taking the escalator down to zero level, walk outside, and you'll find the bus stop off to the right a bit.

You don't need a pass. Give the driver $2 (exact change needed). Generally the WAX runs about once per hour- there is a schedule at the bus stop listing times. Depending on the timing of your arrival, you may have to wait, or not.

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might get lucky and have a very short wait, or you might not - check the schedule and make your own decision. By the way that taxi is gonna take you at least 20 min, the bus at another 15-20(including waiting) isn't that much more. And chances are that taxi will attempt to long haul you and hit you up for more like $35, even $40.

Yea, no pass needed, either $2 cash or quarters.

4. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You seem to have answered your own question saying that you want to take the bus to save but that there are 2 of you and can split the taxi fare. I have used the taxi, shuttle and the WAX. I doubt you would get downtown faster in a cab, and the price is about $25 if you don't get tunneled (tunnel would save you time going downtown) and don't figure in a tip. Depending on timing, waiting for the bus may be less time than waiting for a taxi.

After travel times about 7 or 8 hours, not counting driving to the airport and waiting there for a couple of hours, I don't mind relaxing at the airport or bus stop waiting. I am usually solo so $1.00 (senior price) looks better for what is probably a quicker ride than $30 for the taxi and a less comfortable ride.

Just get your luggage and ask someone where the elevator or escalator to Ground Zero is, go outside and walk to the right and it is the last bus stop area, posted with benches, a ticket machine and signs. Cash is fine but you must have correct change.

Jimbo338

5. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually don't mind getting long hauled/tunneled, ends up being cheaper for me. My last trip I got tunneled to PH, I gave the cabbie $15 and told him to go fuck himself. Saved me a few bucks so I was happy.

I've never had to wait more than 5 min to catch a cab at the airport but if the actual ride on the bus is the same as a cab I might as well take the bus. I guess ill just wait to see when my plane lands since Allegiant is always late. If the cab line is short I'll take that, if I don't have to wait to long for the bus I'll take it instead.

Thanks

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no correct answer, but if you are flexible and are aware of your alternatives, you can make a game day decision. Here is a link to the WAX Schedule http://www.rtcsnv.com/wp-content/uploads/routes/2013/WAX(07-07-13).pdf

You will likely have to wait in line for a cab, so gauge that wait vs. waiting for a bus. You could also take the 108 or the 109 bus to the Bonneville Transit center and walk, but this could be an hour trip. Check out google maps and you can get directions using public transportation and you can see several routes and how much walking is involved.

If you have a smart phone or iPad, the is an app called Hop Stop that lets you plan trips using public transportation in many cities in the US. You an also download the complete RTC schedule and map in PDF format. Each RTC bus stop has a 4 or 5 digit number posted on the sign, just text this number to the RTC and you will get a return text that will list the arrival times of busses that pick up at this stop.

7. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure there's a correct answer! :) I can't resist commenting, especially after posting a few months ago that I consider the WAX the best thing to come to VEGAS in years! Even if I have to wait an entire hour, that's what I'll do, though it might cost me $10 for a large airport beer. The WAX recently added a two-level luggage rack. It replaced some seating, but the buses have never been crowded, anyway.

I used to take the 108 and 109N before Bonneville replaced the old Downtown Transportation Center, but yes, they are slooooow. Far better to wait for the WAX.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $15 to PH seems high, but I like your style of standing up for yourself.:beer:

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I'm not the only one who paid $10.59 for a tall Goose Island IPA at Sammy's Wood Fired Grill?

We stopped for lunch at Sammy's and I got a chicken and hummus wrap for $11 and a beer for $10.59. I actually called the manager over who was powerless and admitted he gets complaints all the time about this. I would rather drink from a water fountain than pay this outrageous price for a beer.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't even flinch anymore. We get to the airport two hours before our flight and head to the bar. I don't like being stressed out before we fly, so we get there early. Not unusual for the two of us to run a tab of $60 if we order food. We don't usually eat at Sammy's, just drink, but early flights from our home airport, yea, food and drink tabs easily $60+ tip.

11. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably a stupid question, but how will I know which is the WAX bus? Does it say it on it? Is it parked in a specific spot?

(I've never taken any city bus anywhere before.)

After a $40 cab ride NOT including tip (don't get me started) to 4Q in August, I am definitely doing the WAX this trip.

P.S. I have never seen any airport beer or drink LESS than $10 before... $10-14 is pretty standard. (If drinking alcohol, always get the double, it is cheaper than 2 separate drinks.)

12. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WAX is plainly indicated on the front and side displays. I won't say it would be impossible to miss, but you'd have to try really hard! I can't remember if it actually says Westcliff or not, but it's all one and the same. The only other buses are plainly marked 108 or 109S and 109N. You won't have any trouble.

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jack Duggan's Pub at PHL has Blue Moon Pints for $5.75 and Yuengling pints for $4.75. And, a pretty good Chicken Cheese steak with fries for about $11, Terminal A. :beer:

Take the bus, you would be surprised how convenient and cheap it is to get around. After your second trip, you become a pro and you start to look at other destinations accessible via public transit.

14. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay great, thanks!

I have said I was going to take the WAX leaving the airport a few times now and chickened out. I am really going to do it this time!!! :)

15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whenever alcohol is involved, things get foggy, but I'm pretty sure it says Westcliff Express.

16. OK Pabst

OK Pabst Grinder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    108 or 109

does the 108 or 109 take you from the airport don't own also?

17. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes it will go downtown, the difference is that because of the many stops it will take closer to 45 min to get there(as opposed to the wax's 30 min), it will also drop you at the bonneville transit station that is 5 or 6 blocks south of the fremont experience, which may be too long for some people to walk, some people may be uncomfortable with the walk as well for safety reasons.(I have walked it and consider it fine)

18. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After $40 not counting the tip, I wouldn't chicken out ever again! I took a cab because of an early flight from the Gold Spike on Ogden St. to the airport, telling him to go via Paradise. It was about $25 before tip (this past may 2013).

Jimbo338

19. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love taking the wax from the airport downtown.
    had to take the in terminal shuttle from 3 to 1 a couple trips ago and even that was a breeze.

I wish it would be easier to bus it from the airport to riviera this trip coming up.

20. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

What's nice about taking CAT buses from the airport is the ease of the bus stop there. Plenty of room to sit or stand around, it is in an uncrowded area (unlike busy streets) and only three different buses stop there. It is also the end of the line, so to speak, and the drivers usually have time to answer any questions you may have.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.