1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Total Rewards: Comping charges to the room vs using reward credits

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Jordan, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello all,

I've been going to Vegas for about 15 years on and off, but seeing I'm from the east coast of Canada I usually only get to go there once a year. I have managed to maintain Platinum status with TR. Here are a few questions:

I usually NEVER charge anything to my room while in Vegas, I usually pay as I go or use the reward credits to pay for my meal (if I have enough).

In a typical trip (7 days) I usually earn close on 7000 TC (Without trying - ie: I've just learned that there are better machines for build up TC etc).

Am I better off using all of my RC for freeplay, and charging all my meals to the room, is there a chance that my meals will be comped even though I will potentially have no RC left when I go to checkout?

PS: I usually use the Platinum line/room to the left of the front desk checkin for my check in/out.

Thanks, any insight or advise would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just thought that I'd clarify, I was wondering if I should charge everything to my room, and then when I go to checkout, ask if it can be comped?

3. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I charge everything to my room, food, shows, store charges etc. Before leaving I go into the Diamond check in and have a host "review my play". They usually apply my points and then take off everything else except the tips. It NEVER hurts to ask. Obviously you have to gamble enough to warrant this. I am also platinum. If your gambling several hundred a day, you are not going to get anything extra unless you go on a huge winning streak and run a boatload thru the machines or on the tables.

:beer::beer::beer:

4. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm also platinum and usually earn around 500 TC per day in Vegas. I charge everything to my room, and get some of it comped off at the end. If you are earning around 1000 TC per day, you will get even more. The host will use up all your available RC, then apply additional comps on top of that. Long story short, there's absolutely no reason not to charge everything to your room.

5. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's a gamble. it's possible that you will get it all comped at the end regardless, but also possible you will have to come out of pocket for some/all. so it's up to you whether it's worth that gamble. but, hey, it's Vegas.

6. vegasloverfromatl

vegasloverfromatl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, it's been a while since we've been there so I have a few questions I know you all can help me with:

I have have the Total Rewards Via and currently have 14,400 points. I am staying at Paris. We are going to eat at Mesa Grill in Caesars. Can I just hand them my players card to have them take the credit off the card to pay for my dinner or the portion it covers? I made reservations yesterday for Mesa Grill and asked the woman on the phone. She seemed very unsure and then told me that I can only use my card at buffets and coffee shops and that if I want to eat at a restaurant like Mesa Grill, I have to get a voucher at the Caesars cage to pay for the food. Is that true? So, I just guess what my dinner will cost and get a voucher for that amount?

Also, I saw someone was mentioning before about if you do charge your meals to your room that they charge you tax on that amount or something like that? I'm just wondering if I should just charge everything to our room and then pay it at the end with comp. Also, do I have to go to the host at Paris at the end of our trip to get the comp amount or can they just use the amount I have on my card at the front desk to remove it off my bill?

I remember one time we were checking out at Caesars and the clerk was so hopped up on drugs that he couldn't figure out how to type our room number in. I kept saying 8434 (or whatever it was) and he kept making me repeat it a zillion times. He was so embarrassed (and I'm sure didn't want us to blow him in) that he just took all of our charges off. SCORE!!

Thanks for your help. We haven't been to Vegas since 2010 because we were in the middle of a move from NY to GA and I am just so excited to be going back!!! (Also the reason why I can't remember what to do)!!

7. vegasloverfromatl

vegasloverfromatl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry I tried to delete that post since I started a new one to get more looks. I can't figure out how to delete.

8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Total Rewards now gives Tier Credit bonuses for hitting a certain number of TCs in a day, which pollutes the judgment of your play level based on TCs.

But assuming you earned 1,000 TCs a day without bonuses, there's a good chance you should be able to have some room charges comped off either without touching your RCs, or in addition to redeeming your RCs.

I think the way to go is charge everything to your room and then see what they'll do at the end of your stay. I've only done this once, but I was surprised at how much they took off, and they didn't touch my RCs.

My understanding is that you can only get 50% of the value of RCs in freeplay, so that seems like the less valuable option.

9. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You give them your TR players card and you either tell them to add points or pay with the points.{that is any place that you can use it at.}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.