1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Walking from Fremont to Neon Boneyard, alone

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Happygirl21, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi,
    Next month I will be makjng a solo trip to LV. I am staying on the strip but will be spending a little time downtown. I have booked a 6:30 pm tour at NB I know it's a bit sketchy once you get off the FE area. So what I am wondering is do you think I am taking a major risk walking alone, as a solo female, either there or back to Fremont.

Also I have made a little bit of a schedule error and I really need to be sure to be back to Mandalay Bay for a CdS show by 9. Is catching a cab at Neon an issue?

2. ValerieJo

ValerieJo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi,

The Neon Museum is a great tour. We really enjoyed it. In response to your question, I dont' think I would make that walk. I'm pretty brave and am willing to travel to most places. However, after seeing the area that one would walk though I would highly advise against it. Grab a cab, I can't imagine it would cost much.

As far as a cab to MB after, perhaps you could have the people at the Neon Museum call one for you to arrive to coincide with the conclusion of the tour.

Have fun!

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to agree, I wouldn't want my daughters or wife to walk it alone. It's not a "war-zone", but it's not the Better Homes & Gardens section of Vegas either. Take a cab.

4. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used the "tweet-a-cab" guys from twitter with a lot of success. They coordinated my drop off and pick up when I needed to go off the beaten path for doctors appointments. Really nice guys and they didn't try to long haul me either!

5. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a quick jaunt on google street view = a no go to this question as far as walking

lots of abandoned buildings, plenty of hanger arounders (especially by the abandoned buildings) and when the nicest looking strip center (that did look very nice) has cages built over the AC units on the roof so people can't steal the copper and aluminum parts off of them you know you are in a higher crime area

the Cstores looked trashed and most of the rest of the stuff you might slip into for safety if needed was a laundromat or an apartment complex with fences or a hotel.....and again a lot of other empty buildings.....most milling about did not look like they stepped in to help others out either

6. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Neon Boneyard

My wife and I walked it from downtown (and also walked back) this spring, late morning. I concur with what everyone has said. It's not a war zone or ghetto, but it's not too pretty either. Most of the folks we saw and/or walked past weren't very upscale, to say the least.

7. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The folks at the Neon Boneyard will call you a cab. They did for me.

I think you can take the bus to the NB if you're on Fremont. I did take the bus back to Fremont on a different trip and it was fine, but the passengers were a little sketchy. If you are coming from the strip then cab it both ways.

8. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take the bus there, stop outside Walgreen's.

Take a cab out.

9. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

Think I'll bus it to Fremont, from strip, then cab over to NB, then cab back to strip. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again!

10. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    defenitly take a cab back to MB if you are under a time crunch. The bus takes WAY too long.

11. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are not planning on spending any time on Fremont before going to the NB then the bus is a big pain. It will take some time and it's not a particularly interesting ride unless you enjoy going through sketchy areas.

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with everyone else. a lot of the homeless (etc.) stay (live?) on main st (past MSS and the freeway overpass). Kind of a hang out area for them since there isn't much going on in the area. To get to the NB you have to walk pass the general area and may have to pass through areas where they hang out. While it is questionable during the daylight hours I wouldn't recommend anyone walking the areas in the late afternoon/early evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.