1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Give me recommendations to score reasonably priced First Class tickets.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by LV_Bound, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years back we did fly First Class via an upgrade at a reasonable price.

Ever since then it seems we are unable to score a decent price.

I know they are more expense and wouldn't mind paying twice the price for first class but it is even much more than that.

We can usually fly from Florida to Vegas for a price range of $650-$1000 depending on specials but usually no more than $1000 for the two of us.

Doing some price researching and it seems like we can't find First Class prices for less than $3500 for the two.

Is there a secret or any recommendations for getting a better price for First Class tickets?

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only seen one actual first class sale in my life. A few years back I was able to score cross country first tickets for under 600. Other than that anything under 900pp is a very good price. I won't pay more than 1000 unless it's over 5 hours. Other than that I get upgrades through medallion status but those are wicked tough to come by on cross country flights. Like just today there were 5 seats and 47 people on the upgrade list. I was 18 even though I'm PM. I've never gotten an upgrade to Vegas because it's always like that. Too many DM and rerouted or bumped people etc.

3. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We bought tickets recently, Atlanta to Vegas. I was surprised at the price, we haven't flown since 2007. Back then regular couch price was about $250, if you watched you could get them for $200 each. When I checked recently coach was $450 and first class was $901.

I don't like the cramped feeling when flying so I thought abouth going first class. I talked it over with a buddy that flies quite often with business. He said nowadays first class is just a bigger seat and really no other perks. He recommended 'economy comfort' and I ended up booking it.

4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your buddy is right. First has minimal perks and only worth it for long flights. Economy comfort with the extra leg room is enough for flights under 4 hours. They do treat you nicer in first with the better flight attendants and the bigger seat but I can't justify the cost difference on shorter flights.

5. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    US Air sends me emails with fare sales every few weeks. Every now and then there will be a FC sale. But usually it’s only for a few select destinations and the dates you can fly are pretty restrictive. Plus, I’ll never spend extra for a US Air first class ticket again. As others have said, the perks aren’t all that great anymore – but with US Air, they are non-existent. At least with other airlines, the flight attendants are always checking up on you, brining you drinks and snacks. With US Air, I had to push the button just to get a damn Coke…and then I had to push it again an hour later to get them to take my glass away.

I’m like shifter, I won’t pay much more than $1000 for first class, and I’d rather see something that starts with an 8 (every now and then I can still find something for high $700s). And I never even check first class prices for a flight that isn’t at least 3-4 hours long.

I don’t know if this makes me lucky or unlucky, but from my neck of the woods (to LAS) first class tickets are usually in the $850-1050 range and coach are usually $450-650. So, nine times out of ten, I feel the first class tickets are the better value.

6. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Free booze in first class...

7. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First class tickets from Houston (IAH) to LAS are anywhere from $900 to $1200 a ticket. I've never seen a special on first class. I'm platinum on United and usually get upgraded, but not always on the Vegas flights, especially if it's a Sunday return. We usually book an economy plus ticket and then we'll use miles to upgrade as I still have a lot of miles to use.

8. JaxxLV

JaxxLV Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently flew United out of a no name regional airport and connected in Houston headed to LAS. Last weekend in July.

I usually look to see how many seats are available in FC (Obviously depends on time of day/type of plane)

I booked Economy and was able to upgrade for 15K miles + $75. (Friday morning flight) Airbus 321

I then went from LAS to CLE on United and was able to purchase a FC seat upgrade for $179, the night before my flight. (Monday Evening flight) Boeing 757

I flew from CLE to DFW on AA, was able to get an upgrade FC for $169 the night before I left. (Thursday mid-morning flight) Airbus 321

No status on either Airline. What I've found is to pick a mid-morning or early afternoon flight and if you have a choice look in FC seating chart and see available seats. Obviously if you book close to departure and FC is 75% open seats you might have a shot. The airline would rather sell it to you for $200, then give it away.

When I went to check I online, there were options to upgrade. When I purchased the initial economy flight, the FC flight tab had the message " FC upgrade available after reservation is made"

All-in-all, just a hit or miss deal.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  9. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First Class tickets from the East Coast to West Coast will cost at least $1K per person. Sometimes I noticed First Class fares from Philly to LV for around $800 but other than that I usually saw them for $1.2K+

Depending how much you travel, going after certain airline statuses can be cheaper to fly First Class. However, as others mentioned upgrades on transcontinental flights have been getting harder. If you lived in the Pacific Northwest (ex. Seattle/Portland) then upgrades to LV are cheap and easy.

10. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your dates are flexible you can always try kayak.com. I've seen some good prices if you are within a month or 3 weeks of the trip. I got lucky one trip with continental a few years back where we gave up our tickets on an overbooked flight for free first class upgrade on the next flight out plus an additional $300 credit.

11. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flown FC many times - but I've never paid the FC fare... here's how I've done it:
    Using Reward Travel (USAir, AA, Cont.)
    Using miles to upgrade a coach seat.
    Using the old (but now deceased?) policy of buying an upgrade 23 hours, 59 minutes before departure... AirTran and the old National Airlines use to be very reasonable...like $50 for each segment. USAir used to allow this as well, only the segment price was higher (like $75 or $100).

The other trick (which has worked for me twice) is volunteering for a bump (when you know that FC is not sold out, but coach is...just takes a bit of day-of-flight research).
    You go to the 'gate-desk' right when you arrive & let them know that you're willing to take a bump. Don't wait until they ask for volunteers.
    If coach is oversold, they (American, anyway) will fill FC with the oldest names on the volunteer list.
    OF course, that last tactic should only be used when you're actually willing to be bumped if it comes down to it. But then you get the 'compensation', which I've negotiated with the gate agent from a $250 voucher to a FC seat on the next flight, (only did this once).
    Be creative!

One trick I still use is, when I'm flying home from mccarran & the 'check-in' line is really long, I go to the FC check-in line. When I get up to the counter, I ask if there are any FC upgrades for sale. (You just have to be prepared to actually buy one!). If they say yes, I pay the $150 or $200. If they say no, they've always still checked my bag & given me my boarding pass, saving me from the long line.
    :beer:

12. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you know someone with enough miles, then you can get them to use miles to get you a first class ticket. Im sure $1,000 would work for them (since its only 50,000 miles)

I could help you if AA flies the route you want.

13. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Top Card mentioned AirTran and I think that is currently the most reasonable option, other than using miles. Their business class seats are almost as good as the old American MD-80 first class seats and you get free drinks.

http://www.airtran.com/business_class.aspx

14. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    50K miles for $1K? Personally, I think 50K miles is worth a lot more than $1K but I guess everyone values their points/miles differently...

15. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 cents a mile is fair

16. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    USair is 3.5 cents per mile...

17. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will fly different carriers To and from Vegas and check both. I have found several good FC trips that way from Vegas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.