1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Picking someone up at the airport

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by JR Swift, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR Swift

JR Swift VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have decided to rent a car for a few days while in town next week. Have a few people arriving later and figured it would be a nice gesture to come pick them up at the airport. The question is where will I end up when I take the passenger pick up lane and what's the best place to have them meet me? I know I've seen people come and go on Level Zero but suspect that is connected to long term parking. But I don't see how it could be the taxi level unless there's a lane that runs around the other side. I've just never thought to notice before. Any help on this is much appreciated.

2. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't say what terminal, but I will be honest, have them call you as soon as they land and turn on their phones and have them go to the rental car bus and go to the rental car facility. It is easy in and out for the person with the car, and easy to find someone (have them go to a specific company outside) and usually with the shuttle and time to get over for them, and time for you to get there, it works out pretty good.

3. g-didi

g-didi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    https://www.mccarran.com/Park/PassengerPickUp.aspx

Check out the website. I have picked folks up on two occasions and found it very easy at terminal 1. There is a 15 minute grace period in the parking garage for pickups on level 1. I had my friends text when they arrived and they went down to the baggage carousels. I left mid strip when they messaged and by the time I was walking into the terminal they had just retrieved their bags. We were out in under 15 minutes and parking was free and easy.

4. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    G DiDi is correct, you are going to experience way less hassle by using the short term parking at the garage. We have done it a couple of times and it's very close, almost at the walkway entrance.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do this monthly... it really is effortless and easy. Just follow the signs... but for those still a bit uneasy about entering the airport grounds, especially when its busy, Zamboni's suggestion above about using the Rent A Center is a good one

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If someone made me take the bus shuttle to the rental car center, I would tell them to buzz off and take a cab. Yea, it could work but seems to defeat the whole purpose of picking somebody up.

Curbside pickup or via short term parking would be way easier.

No matter what they do, use CELL PHONES.

And, if you really want to stay in the loop, make sure you have their flight number and you will be able to check the airlines website for arrival time.

7. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Short term parking garage and pick them up at the baggage claim. Much less hassle for you and them than anything else.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is what I used to do. There is a 7-11 or similar on the corner of Paradise and Trop. I would pull in there and have them call me when they were on the curb at the short term parking area. Pull up, pick em up and never have to park. Stopping there is allowed for pickup.

It takes about 2 minutes from 7-11, just make sure you exit 7-11 out the west driveway on Paradise.:poke:

9. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Getting over to the rental car facility is easy, it isn't like getting teeth pulled. Unless the person picking up is sitting in the area waiting, it will take a few minutes to get there, and for them it is a lot easier getting in/out rental car facility than the airport. I have done that, and gotten bitched at by a rent a cop for waiting for my brother to come out.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! That's exactly what I do (it's a Rebel)... either there or there's a small motel on Paradise (just south of the Trop intersection, left side of the road)... just sit there and when your party calls, swoop right in!

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! Great minds think alike!:thumbsup:

12. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

In regard to ground zero, private vehicles are not allowed to access it. Only for buses, limos and the like.

13. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The easiest is taking shuttle to rental car return. However short term parking is metered so you could just go up there and drive around or park or whatever. You can pull almost right up to the crossover, but there is a valet area there and after a couple minutes they will tell you to move. Up further is curbside pick up area and if they tell you to move you can still circle around

14. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Circling around and around is a major league pain in the ass, that is why the rental car trick is much simpler. The rent a cops the airport has out there patrolling that area are on major power trips and are jerk offs.

15. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Yeah seriously. I rented a car last trip and had to pick up my gf at the airport because she flew in on a different flight from me coming internationally. I pulled up to the pick-up area and it was COMPLETELY empty, not a single car anywhere. I tried waiting there and within a minute the pimple-faced security guy comes by and kicks me out. I even said to him "you gotta be kidding me". I had to keep circling until she got out. When I pick up people at NYC airports those lanes are packed as hell with cops everywhere and they still give you more leeway.

I didn't know about the 15 minute grace period at short-term parking. But they should add a cell phone lot like you see at other major airports nowadays. It makes pick-ups a breeze.

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's why Joe's suggestion is a good one... you basically use the convenience store or motel parking as a cell-phone lot. Both are at or south of Tropicana
    and make it easy to swing right in.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.