1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Oregon Coast

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Las Vegas, but I could live and die at the Oregon Coast. I just got back from 3 nights in Lincoln City at one of my favorite places to stay on the coast, Surftides.

Saw this cute Youtube about Surftides this morning and have to share it!
    [YOUTUBE]wpIfbTsqdsU[/YOUTUBE]

There is something about that place I love. I'm not sure if it's the cozy rooms or the roar of the surf just outside the window, but I sleep like a baby there.

Our days go something like this:
    Lounge in the room with coffee & breakfast, watching people walking their dogs on the beach.
    Get dressed and go down the ramp to the beach and walk and walk and walk.
    Back to the room for some lunch and maybe a nap.
    Go down the ramp to the beach and walk and walk and walk. Maybe sit and watch the surf or someone flying a kite.
    Nap on the beach.
    Walk and walk and walk.
    Back to the room for room service or cross the parking lot to Mist for wonderful food, all entrees under $20 and scallops as big as the palm of my hand!!
    Maybe stop by the firepits for s'mores and socializing.
    Up to the room for wine and fireplace and more looking at that amazing beach.
    Fall asleep with the windows open and that roar of the surf.

Repeat as long as they'll let me stay. :)

Now I just need to find a way to make enough money to live there!

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very easy to love Las Vegas and not suffer from travel myopia. :wink2:

Tracked a few of your recent exploits via facebook, and just so glad you had a stellar getaway. LC is a bueno little ville; leave Seaside to the turistas! All those years I lived in Oregon and it took being away for me to really appreciate what the Moss Coast has to offer. Hell (I know it's not coastal but close enough), Astoria has turned into a cool place.

Oh, Newport is recruiting for a city manager if you have any experience!! Live the dream and get paid too!!! lol

3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, Seaside for the tourists and Cannon Beach for the rich people. I like LC just fine. :)

We used to always stay at the Best Western Agate Beach Hotel in Newport, but got Surftides on a Groupon and we're hooked!

I'd love to be a city manager in Newport. That means I just walk around on the beach and say "Hi!" to people, right?

BTW, we did take a rock to the windshield of the car yesterday. That adds a $250 deductible to the vacation cost. :cry:

4. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Of the many vacations we have taken as a family, one of the most memorable stretches was the drive along the Oregon coast. Gotta get back and do it again.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Meet me in Bandon in October, we'll tee it up!!

6. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oregon coast is where we thought we'd end up. Still might. Most of the draw is in the north, but the southern coast (below the dunes) has some great spots as well. And it's not that far to wine, fishing, and the Bard!

7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True about there being some great stuff in the southern coast too. Unfortunately I can only seem to make it to Florence in one day from home near Seattle.

What's the name of that place down south that has the cool carnivorous plants? It's like Darlington or something close to that. What a find that place was. The pitcher plants were HUGE!

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was broke in school, we'd drive over to the coast, pot a bunch of free crab and feast like kings. Who knew poor could be so rich? Of course, we were washing the dungeness down with Lucky Lager or Vitamin R.

9. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed in Lincoln City a few years ago and thought it was scary, particularly after the sun went down. Motel row on the beach tends to attract a rough crowd. In general, though, the Oregon Coast is beautiful. If you are there (father down the coast from Lincoln City) in the right season, razor clam digging and crabbing for Dungeness are terrific activities to seek out.

Depoe Bay at high tide on a late summer afternoon when the fishing boats are coming in is also a nice sight. (The scene in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" when the crew was returning from their fishing outing was filmed at Deope Bay.)

10. idtwins

idtwins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lincoln City is fantastic! I take a trip with the wife every year. Love sitting in Fathom's at the top of Inn at Spanish Head with a pint of ice cold Dead Guy and watching the whales spout.

11. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't seen the carnivorous plants. Will put the place on the list if someone knows it. Our fave is a little town called Yachats (YAAH-hots) north of the dunes but south of the famous places. It used to be charming, but we haven't been back since they built a big fancy motel next to the old one. Hope it's still the same.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, that's it! Nothing else. E. Z. lol We talked a bit about Terri applying for the job but as much fun as the coast is to visit, we couldn't hang with the weather 24/7/365.

Sorry about the windshield. Is it too big to just have it filled? Our insurer pays for that service and we've used it four or five times.

13. win4me

win4me VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing! Looks like I will have to add to my "bucket list" :) Food looks yummy too!

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The rock got us good. It hit just where the glass and the frame meet, above the driver's eyes. Little dent in the frame, small impact on the windshield and instantly 4 cracks ran down the whole window. Oopsie. But it's replaced now and I'm well on my way to forgetting that little bonus. :)

I looked up the place with the carnivorous plants - Darlingtonia, just north of Florence, so not as south as I had remembered. Sorry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlingtonia_State_Natural_Site

Yachats is nice too. I love Bandon, Brookings, Gold Beach, I even kinda like Coos Bay and North Bend when I'm in the mood. I still need to stop at Humbug Mountain and explore more around Cape Blanco and Cape Perpetua. Oh, and explore some of the lakes around the dunes.. oh.. and... Hmm.. Maybe I have time for another trip before winter sets in. :)

15. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Geez, we were close to the little carnivores when we visited Yachats. Coos Bay? Can't get into that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.