1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airline Ticket Cost

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by blackjacknut, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, what the heck is going on with the crazy prices for airline tickets out of CAK and CLE. Although I will use miles to fly I'm now having to use 50K miles, no more 25K to 35K for tickets (one way) and prices are just crazy. I'm seeing anywhere from $685 to $707 for tickets departing December 26th and returning January 4th. Now I know this is prime time to fly but really?

So I will redeem my 50K each way to get first class but these airlines are getting out of hand with fees, prices etc....supply and demand at work! :eek:

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    damn I got first class lie flat beds to Europe for 50k each way. I would never pay that much for domestic. in fact I have almost 500k miles because I never use them for domestic because the value per dollar is so low. I save them for international first class at 100-150k a piece. I'm booking Europe next summer and then likely Asia or South Pacific in '15. although i'm pissed because starting next summer they're jacking up the miles required for all locations. fuckers.

but of course the rates are that high this late in the game right around NYE.

3. lowsmith

lowsmith Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am seeing the same inflated prices out of CLT around the first part of 2014

4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, I have to agree. I've done first class to Asia for about the same (I think last time I paid about 60k), I couldn't imagine using that much for a domestic flight. Unless you have zero intention of using your miles for any sort of international travel, I'd save them and just pay for the tickets.

5. Kickin

Kickin Flea

You're booking with miles at a crappy time this far out before your flight. You're better off doing it way before (unlikely) or right before to get the discount miles rate. I was seeing close to $1k economy for my Vegas flight about two weeks out but got the saver award rate for first class about a week out for each leg. It was the same as economy which I would've done for cheaper since domestically first is a joke anyway. But booking now for a late December flight is a bad time for mileage use. Why would you book Vegas this far out anyway?? Is there a wedding or something you're going for?

Nonetheless its worth it at 10x those prices to get out of Ohio.:poke:

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 :thumbsup:

7. sapphirevegas

sapphirevegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HEY! Whats wrong with Ohio? LOL Hey KickinChicken, speaking of which...you don't happen to drive a semi do you? I laughed so hard today. Was driving on 76 today and passed a semi that had KickinChicken painted on the drivers side, above the cab. Thought of you instantly.

As for the flights blackjacknut...are you close enough to fly out of Pittsburgh? We can always get non-stop flights to Vegas for $280-$340 on Southwest.

8. sapphirevegas

sapphirevegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Non stop out of Pit those dates as of now...$514.80. Still high, but just a thought.

9. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't booked yet with miles...I'm going to wait. I'm Premier 1K with United, I fly about 135K miles or more a year so using miles is not an issue. I do hate using more miles though than I have to...its just the principle behind the matter.

I'm just going to wait, I always book economy and utilize my upgrades.

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Supply and demand along with market.

They will charge what works.

11. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm the same as you about not wanting to use miles. I only use miles on intl'l Business/First tickets, unless domestic economy fares are ridiculously expensive ($1K+).

Fortunately, I'm 1K with United, Executive Platinum with American, and MVP Gold with Alaska...having several options is nice.

12. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Get used to it folks. It's a whole new world with reduced routes, airline consolidations, increased fuel prices, ancillary fees, less inventory of seats (cash + FF), etc.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.