1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by BlueBellThunder, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm booked on a Spirit Airline flight from Philadelphia to Las Vegas in October. After I booked the flight I've been reading a lot of negative reviews about them. Has anyone taken that route? I know they nickel & dime you with their fees, though the price I paid even with the baggage fees was much less than any other airline.

Thanks in advance for all replys.

2. ex507

ex507 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey!

I did not fly in that exact route but i flew from Chicago o'hare to Vegas. It was a really nice flight. Nothing to worry about. It was just like almost every other airline but cheaper. I can recommend it! 100%!

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just save yourself the trouble, book another airline and kick yourself in the nuts now. after you get off that flight you'll gladly trade it for a kick in the nuts.

4. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shifter....I thought it was your favorite airline hahahhaha :beer:

5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not flown that route, but I have flown Spirit twice, AC to Florida. I saved about $150 round trip, including checked luggage fees. I would fly Spirit again, but the savings would have to be worth it to endure the tighter, non reclining seats. I never recline my seat anyway, so this is a plus.

If you are less than 6' tall and weigh under 200 lbs, you will be fine. You understand the luggage policy, so you are ahead of the game. Most of the complaints about Spirit are due to folks not reading the baggage policy then getting upset at the gate when they want to carry on a bag.

I looked into Flying Spirit from Philly to LAS, but the flight out leaves close to 8 pm and its over 5 hours and arrives too late for me. I think you will be coming back on a red eye flight into Philly and arrive around 8 am local time.

6. Max2589

Max2589 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a greyhound bus with wings. Consider yourself blessed if you are only delayed 3 hours or so. Btw, that will be the day after your flight is scheduled for because odds are they will cancel your original departure for no reason.
    Perhaps because there are thunderstorms in Guam.

7. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't believe the hype, like the previous poster stated you have read up on the airlines policies so you won't be surprised by there "surprise fee's" and as far as delays and cancellations I believe all airlines have them no matter what your airfare was. The only concern is the size of the seats so if you are concerned about space pay the extra for the upgraded seats (I pay the extra $100 for the big upfront seat). I have flown Spirit once from Baltimore to Vegas and no delays or cancellations but will flying again in Sept. so we will see.

8. ex507

ex507 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, we also upgraded to the bigger seats. The price was still good and these seats were just amazing for what we paid. The only problem is that, if nobody pays for the seats, you can just use them in the flight. We were 3 people and there are 4 seats. After 20 minutes after takeoff a random mexican lady came over and just sat down next to me. The flight attendents did not mind at all...

9. mjamesp

mjamesp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which airlines aren't this way now?

If you have any specific flight concerns, use flightaware.com. You can see the actual departure and arrival times for your specific flight going back as many days as you wish. I also use this to track the inbound flight on the day of my flight. Just having this information will alleviate some of the stress.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  10. sharpey

sharpey Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown with them over a dozen times. They are the only non stop to NYC from Myrtle Beach, so basically we are stuck with them. I can honestly say " They are horrible" although many of their problems are caused by LGA. I can not count how many times I have seen people evicted from the Big Seats because they paid for steerage. Paying for the large seats is a wise move. One other little bit of advice..if I may. If you live within a close drive to the airport, go there and purchase your tickets next time. Spirit puts on a hefty convenience fee which is about $16.99 plus taxes one way. For a couple that usually adds up to about $80.00 r/t. Look at taxes and fees and you will see it hidden there. Oh by the way... A Spirit Airlines employe told me the convenience fee was for using the internet to book. But the fee is waived when booking at the airport counter.

11. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gonna try at airport next time to see how much more I can save and are you saying customers paid for the upgrade and were evicted or are you referring to squaters who were evicted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.