1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

flying

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Lhammer28, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know that if you look back I did this EXACT same thread a year or so ago..
    but Im SUPER terrified of flying.
    I hear others say they are too but im pretty much CONVINCED that I am going to die on a plane. and for whatever reason im TERRIFIED of this trip. there have been much more plane issues in the past 6 months or so which is not helping my cause.... I have flown to Vegas 6 times,Reno 3, PHX twice, but it NEVER GETS EASIER! I feel like its actually getting worse. I have my pills for anxiety but that never really helps, Ive had to take them already bc I have mini attacks just THINKING about flying.

I know that flying it the safest form of transportation but nothing seems to help.
    I have a few cocktails before the airport and then as soon as I can order I get a couple more. I just really hate flying & wish there was something I could do to get rid of that damn fear!!!

2. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I could help you! I've never really been afraid of flying but I can certainly understand the thought process of those that feel the same way as you. Just try to think about all of the fun you're going to have once you arrive in Vegas!

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good reason to worry. always gotta worry about landing after that SFO crash! even I've been holding my breath when coming in for landing the last couple of times I've flown. you think everything's fine and them boom, you're tumbling and flipping everywhere. I can't imagine what that was like for the passengers on that flight. just gotta hope the law of probabilities works in your favor and you're not on the next one.

4. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know and that's what I TRY to think about but then I think ummm how do I have to get to Vegas????? I asked my hubs if he was scared at all with all the issues that have happened recently, he said no, not at all. I don't get it, those issues are like a sign to me to NOT GET ON THE PLANE!! his advice, take 3 pills and call it a day.

5. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for that and making me think im not crazy.
    but also for making me think I could be right!!

6. Fish Tacos

Fish Tacos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try using a hypnotherapist. :beer:

7. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you arent kidding... i use to literally travel all the time.. BWI/DCA -> PHX,TPA,DFW,SAN etc....

I experienced two touch and goes in san diego and it scared the living crap out of me....

I have flown overseas numerous times and those big planes are just built for it....

But i am with shifter... i cant imagine what it was like for those passengers... had to be scary as hell

8. Kickin

Kickin Flea

My girlfriend has been suffering with this lately for some reason and she flies a lot for work. For her I think its more to do with claustrophobia type feelings in airplanes. But lately she's been having anxiety attacks while flying so she's started taking some "natural" supplements like kava and some other thing. I told her I thought that stuff was bullshit, etc. but she says it helps and you don't have to deal with the withdrawal symptoms and addictive potential of pharmaceutical grade drugs. You can get that stuff anywhere.

9. vokalml

vokalml Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't enjoy flying and I used to be really bad. Two things I think of now. One I can't not fly because that's how you get to amazing places like Vegas. Second my grandpa told me this. The pilot wouldn't get on the same plane as you if he didnt think it was safe.

10. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "banana with the dope inside"

(for those old enough to get this movie reference)

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I LOVE that one! Will tell my wife... she HATES to fly too!

12. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we all have some nerves at different points during the flight experience. Sudden drops etc.

The best thing to do is just realize that once you are in the air there isn't much you can do, so just suck it up and try to relax if at all possible! :)

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fly Southwest, never had a fatality.

14. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have a fear of flying..........i have a fear of crashing....LOL.
    But as another poster alluded to, i have never had a fear of flying, i have flown everywhere, but the idea of being cooped up for 5+ hours on a plane makes flying less enjoyable. I have driven 5 hours from LA to Vegas but it's totally different. I can stop in Barstow/Baker or wherever, even on the bus.......but being "at the mercy" of a plane is what makes me "fear" flying.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  15. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    of course the plane is safe, the problem is so often crashes are due to pilot error, so that doesn't really mean anything.

16. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty sure that shuttle busses, cars, and limos have a higher crash and death rate than planes. I'm also pretty sure your odds of winning a huge jackpot in Vegas are much higher than being in a plane crash.

Just saying.

I look at it this way, when its my time to go I have no say in the matter. It's gonna happen how and when its gonna happen and that's it. No need to fret about it.

17. trex323

trex323 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow Shifter. That's confidence inspiring for the young lady. But, kinda funny none the less.

In all honesty, try to change your thought process on the whole flying thing. Try to enjoy it and relax as it's only 3 1/2 short hours from MKE to LAS. (I know cuz I'm leaving from the same airport a day or two before you.) You're probably more likely to get in accident on the Marquette Interchange than anything to happen on your flight. Take pics out the window and really just enjoy the whole flying process. I used to not like flying either, but now I love it. I just settle into my seat put on some tunes and do a little reading or whatever. For me, I personally have always liked sitting by the wings so I can see them maneuver during landings and takeoffs.

Don't know if this helps you at all but I hope it does. And go the bar down the Southwest concourse and pail as many Spotted Cow's as you can, too. That always helps.:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

18. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ambien?

It doesn't help getting on the plane, but maybe you will be able to just sleep while flying.

I will comment on the SFO crash. I did not immediately go to the thought of now planes are even more unsafe or more accidents will occur. My first thought was actually surprise that very few people died. Obviously any death is a bad thing, but this proves you can survive crashes.

Clearly your fear hasn't stopped you from travel, so I don't really know how critical it is for you to get over this fear. The only thing other than drugs I can suggest would be a therapist. You clearly know the facts and the odds of something happening is low. I don't see how any amount of logical arguements is going to change your feelings. Which to me means it is something illogical that makes you hate flying. I have no idea if there are any fixes out there, but maybe just the fact of talking to someone that you know is a professional and therefore trust them would help.

In no way do I think going to a professional will make you 100% ok with flying, but maybe it will at least get you to the point where you are only a little stressed out while flying rather than really stressed out for months before a flight. I don't have to go to medical school to know that isn't very healthy either.

19. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate flying. It scares the sh#t out of me every time. I searched the web and found a site that explains every step of a flight...from the start to the end...every noise the plane makes. I found it very useful and helpful. I have gotten more relaxed over the years by going through this site. LOL I don't remember the name but type in scared to fly or something like it. I use to grip the seat from take off to landing...I'd freak with every bump and look around to see if anyone was as worried as I was. They were not :thumbsup:

20. Steve1212

Steve1212 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kava kava

Try taking kava kava, you can get it in a vitamin store and its fairly inexpensive. It helps people relax especially when they have anxiety. I have tried it and it has helped. You can research the web for additional information. Try to stay really busy when you are flying: games, iPad, books, movie....

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.