1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Shuttles?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Sally, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sally

Sally Newbie

Hi
    Please tell me which shuttle seems to be the best. Usually rent car but want to start using shuttles. We also stay downtown.
    Thank You so much
    Sally

2. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The biggest one with the most shuttles seems to be Showtime. I used to take BellTrans, but not after they were an hour and 25 minutes late picking me up from Encore last month and after many phone calls to them! :grrr:
    While I was waiting all that time, I saw 4 Showtime shuttles arrive and drop people off.

If I ever take a shuttle again, it will be Showtime for sure. But this next trip, I'm bringing my own car. :evillaugh

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For $2, it is hard to beat the WAX (Westcliff Express) from the airport to downtown. About 25 minutes to DT, limited stops and drops you on the east side of the D. The trouble is they only run about once an hour.

Pick it up next to Binion's for the return trip.

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My suggestion would be to take the shuttle to the hotel, but then take a taxi back to the airport at the end of your trip - you don't have to worry if the shuttle will pick you up or not, will it be on time, how much time until you get to the airport etc if you cab it back.

Plus, the shuttles will want to give you a huge window of time before your flight so that if something happens like Smo describes you can call them and still have enough time to schedule a new pickup time - so if your flight is at 3PM they could schedule your pickup as early as 10:30-11AM.

With all that said, on the airport end of things: it doesn't matter. Just go out to the shuttle loading area and see if you can find out if anybody has a wait time or not - doesn't matter if X has the best shuttle service if you get there and see that Y is boarding now for a shuttle to Downtown for the same price and X has a 60-90 minutes wait for their next shuttle - the airport shuttle area isn't that exciting a place where you want to spend an extra hour :) :) :)

5. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They're all pretty much the same (crappy).

Like the poster above said, it really depends on which shuttle is just about to take off. If you get there and there's no one on board yet, get ready to sit and wait for too long while it fills up.

6. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going downtown, just be sure to ask if there's a downtown shuttle.
    They may tell you that, "sure - we'll get you downtown.", which avoids the question. If that happens, ask if they have a shuttle that's going directly downtown from the airport.
    I've been lucky before when doing that.

If not, plan on spending an hour making stops at 4 or 5 strip hotels before they take you downtown.
    I made that mistake - once.

Annual Spring Trip!
  7. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe's right on! Even if you have to wait an hour for the next WAX, you're likely to arrive at your destination the same time you'd get there by shuttle and for less money. And if you do have to wait that long, spend the extra on an airport beer. There's not much more frustrating than waiting for a shuttle to fill before leaving the airport and then making multiple strops before even heading downtown. You can bet I'll be using the WAX in a few weeks.

8. Sally

Sally Newbie

Thank you all for the good advise.
    I agree that the WAX is the best idea. I have used it before and it was perfect. BUT, am unable to
    use now because of luggage/walker, etc.
    All of you seem to agree that shuttle is best to get from air port to hotel and taxi back to airport.
    That is what we will do.
    Thank you again,
    Sally

9. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to be overly nosy, but why can't you take luggage and a walker on the WAX? They're very good at accommodating scooters and luggage is common, particularly on routes that include the airport.

10. Daila

Daila Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shuttle to MGM

What shuttle would you recommend to MGM?

11. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For MGM I would probably go with Showtime - they almost always have shuttles ready to go for the south end of The Strip and MGM Grand is the first stop.

12. Sally

Sally Newbie

Hi All,
    Regarding the WAX and the walker and luggage. We are somewhat disabled. I have used the WAX but my sister hasn't and I am unsure
    if it is a good idea.
    Thank you all again, Sally
    Month from today... Downtown at The D. YEA....

13. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to beat a dead horse, and I don't get a commission (though I should), but the WAX can lower and extend a ramp to accommodate scooters, those with disabilities, etc. It wouldn't be any more difficult than getting on and off of your typical shuttle bus. Best of luck however you go from A to B.

14. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Executive shuttle for 4 or 5 years without a problem. Since the airport was remodeled it's been whatever we come to first. So far, no problem. We are not in a big ass rush so it's much better then a taxie.

15. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A taxi

The first time we went to Vegas we didn't know what was what so I booked a shuttle from the airport to where we were staying which was the Desert Rose which is opposite the MGM on Tropicana.

Second time we went and stopped at the same place we just got a taxi to and from the airport as we were so close to the airport.
    If I was stopping downtown then I would consider a shuttle if it was going direct and not stopping all over the Strip on the way, and as it has been mentioned on here the shuttle will pick you up extra early to get you to the airport when you are going home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.