1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flight with an AirTran leg and a Southwest leg

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Chuck2009x, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I booked a backup flight I hope I don't have to use.

I booked it on Southwest.com. The first leg is an AirTran flight and the second is a Southwest flight.

This is what the confirmation says:

What you need to know to travel:
    • Don't forget to check in for your flight(s) 24 hours before your trip on southwest.com or your mobile device. This will secure your boarding position on the Southwest portion of your trip.
    • Southwest Airlines does not have assigned seats, so you can choose your seat when you board the plane. You will be assigned a boarding position based on your checkin time. The earlier you check in, within 24 hours of your flight, the earlier you get to board.
    • AirTran has assigned seating. Advanced seat assignments are not available. Customers who purchase an AirTran segment on Southwest channels will be assigned a seat at the time of check in.
    • Once you check in, you will not be able to change your seat until arrival at the airport.
    • If you are scheduled to change airlines when you change planes, don't worry - we'll transfer your bags for you.

So that sounds like you do get a boarding pass for the AirTran leg when you check in online, but instead of a boarding position, you get an assigned seat?

Anybody run into this? The first leg is only BOS -> BWI; it's only an hour, so not a big deal.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds right to me. I was told if you book Air Tran on the SWA site, you also get the two free bags on your Air Tran leg.

3. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes just did this in May.Two segments on Airtran.Seats were assigned at check-in.Clerk also requested $ for checked bag,had to explain to her I booked the flight on SW.Got ok seats but would hate to get stuck in a middle seat,so now I throw out any Airtran segments I see.Booked for Sept with all segments on SW.

4. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shoot I didn't even think about bags.

So I guess if I use curbside, I gotta go to the AirTran one instead of the Southwest one.

5. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wondered about this... We always fly SW and they're being kind of retarded about this if you ask me. They either need to fully merge into one company with the same rules or keep them seperate w/o mingling the legs of flights back and forth where you pay bags on one and not the other and get seats on one and not the other. What a cluster f*ck:rolleyes2:

They may quickly become my second choice for air travel as they also dropped my non-stop flight from Norfolk/VA Beach to Las Vegas:Þ

6. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest is my second choice. I can't stand the cattle call without being able to choose your seat. Not to mention that from BWI Delta is usually cheaper even with the luggage fees.

7. flysrb

flysrb Hey Now!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Now!!!!

we switched from AirTran to Delta a while ago. Now that AirTran stopped service at PHF, we fly out of RIC.

8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I guess I didn't look at the confirmation close enough.

In another spot it says:

This portion of your itinerary begins on AirTran. If you need to print a boarding pass or check a bag, please visit the AirTran ticket counter.

And elsewhere:

Carry-on Items: 1 Bag + small personal item are free see full details. Checked Items: First and second bags are free, size and weight limits apply.

So it looks like still two bags free, but gotta check them at AirTran and get a boarding pass for the first leg at that time.

9. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SWA NS R/t cost me $198 bwi->las unreal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.