1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What is the problem with the Golden Nugget Buffet?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Sue24, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue24

Sue24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The ACG has the 2/for one breakfast/lunch at the Golden Nugget buffet.

I've read some uncomplimentary comments on here about it.

We were thinking of using the coupon for a late lunch.

Is it that bad?

Anyone eaten there recently?

Thanks for advice!

2. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As much as I love the GN, their buffet does, well, just kind of sucks. There really is nothing to it, and it isn't cheap. Everything on it seems pre-fabricated, nuked, out of a box and kind of plain. MSS is a much better bang for the buck buffetwise imo. However, as bad as the buffet is at the GN, the rest of their restaurants are stellar. Take a walk and enjoy MSS buffet before you throw good money at a sub par restaurant...

3. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that there is a great expectation for the buffet since the GN is the only 4 star hotel downtown. I bought a package to see Gordi Brown and the buffet. The room was well appointed, clean, bright and had a nice view of the pool but found the buffet lacking variety as well as the quality. By far, Main Street Station and the Fremont have buffets that are varied, delicious, and tasty. I like a good salad and dishes with American names that indicate what you are eating.

I found their salad bar to be 1 star, and when the salad is lacking, I am skeptical of what comes next. The prime was tough and with little taste. Fortunately, it cost me little but it would have been a ripoff at full price. But that is my opinion. When I wrote my post about Gordi I mentioned the package and that I didn't like the buffet, and a couple of folks posted that they thought it was great. So beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder but I agree with gino above.

Jimbo338

4. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you wait until just before three on Friday, you'll get seafood buffet with crab legs for lunch pricing. There were a few items that were good (the crab legs were OK). I like the bread pudding and the NE clam chowder was pretty good.

There are so many good dining options downtown (higher end, mid range, cheap eats) at reasonable prices that I rarely think of buffets downtown (also not a big fan of MSS or Fremont). I prefer PHo, Harrah's, Bellagio. M Resort or Wynn.

Bottom line is GN is OK, but nothing special. The 2 for 1 coupon on Friday night is a decent bargain if you like seafood.

5. TequilaCat

TequilaCat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is in no way a fancy Strip buffet. But for the price (doubly so with the 2 4 1 coupon) it is pretty good. We use that coupon on almost every trip and go for the switch between breakfast and lunch usually. Most of the food is kept in smaller containers than you usually see on buffet lines, and they do have some variety. Just don't go in expecting it to be like the Wynn buffet.

6. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is nothing wrong with the buffet other than the price. When I went around brunch time July 5th, I ended up sticking with their pizza that was brick oven cooked and my gf ate salad mainly. Everything else was cold and bland. There wasnt a lot of seafood or red meat options. If I had to pay full price for it, I would feel ripped off.

A $9.99 per person price is more in line with what they offer imo.

7. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I visited the GN buffet earlier this month. I was there during breakfast hours. No complaints here.

Main Street Station is better though.

8. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had the GN buffet back in November for lunch and we didn't have any complaints. I thought for downtown food it was pretty good. Obviously it isn't on the same level you'd expect from a Landry's resturaunt but my expectations where like that so I thought it was just fine. Pretty good in some parts actually.

On that same trip we also at at the Paradise Buffet at the Fremont for lunch and I gotta say I'm not sure we were eating at the same place as the rest of you because it was really crappy.

9. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had the seafood buffet a couple months ago as part of the Gordie Brown package. Wasn't expecting much, but we were pleasantly surprised. The food was fresh, tasty, and plentiful, not dried up. Their desserts were better than the Paris buffet.

10. Sue24

Sue24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm ready to give it a try in a few weeks.
    Lunch runs until 3pm?

I will report back on how it is.

Thanks all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.