1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker Video Poker Question

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by mstefaniw, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mstefaniw

mstefaniw Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone have any info on what comes up more in VP, 4 aces or 4 deuces? (With or without kicker) Thanks

2. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aces for sure. There are many, many times that you would hold one ace but not any that you would hold one deuce, with the exception of deuces wild.

3. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wouldn't it be the same? Maybe I don't understand the question....how could one set of quads have a better or worse chance of occurring than another set?

4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you were randomly holding cards it would be the same. But if you're following basic strategy (and NOT playing Deuces Wild) the aces would come up far more often, for the reason DonD mentions.

5. Ronoh

Ronoh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because people hold one ace much more often than they hold one deuce.

6. mstefaniw

mstefaniw Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If playing DW, the 2s would be held, in DD or TD bonus aces would be held which quads do you think would show up more?

7. sandman748

sandman748 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm guessing at this, but I would think the 4 dueces in DW would happen more often than 4 aces in DD TD bonus. Almost anytime you have a deuce in DW you are holding it alone but there are many occasions in DDB where you would be dealt a hand with an ace and end up discarding it.

Then again, there are the 4 of a kind with two deuce hands that wouldn't be drawing to 4oak, but in DDB you almost never hold anything in addition to two aces.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on the question, they MUST be even.

But, based on how people would play, 4 deuces would be more often. After all, you would keep single deuce, but would not keep a single ACE.

Again, without counting for strategic play, they are equally apt to show up. On the first hand/deal it would surely be equal. Same as four 6's, 7's, etc

(The fact that Deuces were asked, I assume the OP meant DW - maybe a bad assumption).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  9. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's how I interpreted the question. If you commonly hold a certain single card, you will obviously get more quads with that particular card than with others. I guess I assumed that went without saying!

10. billyinpg

billyinpg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it depends on the game and maybe even the denomination.

We spent last week playing VP my girlfriend and I. I started playing 25 cent bet max 3 hand JOB, she found herself attracted to 3 hand nickle Ultimate X DW bet max.

In essence I was playing $3.75 a turn and she was at $1.50 a turn.

Here's the strange part, she's winning 4OAK and 5OAK while I am hitting the very odd 4OAK, while this is going on I never hit a 4OAK deuces or aces while she has hit 4OAK deuces a few times.

Sooooo we meet up and she want's me to play beside her (just to gloat I think lol)

She plays the same and I am now doing JOB 3 hand max bet nickle but on an Ultimate X machine.

I am hitting 4OAK a lot more often doing this still never deuces or aces though. Over the week I began to like her nickle machines and played near her a lot, oddly enough I was hitting 4OAK way more than I've ever had before. I shit you not I hit 4OAK dealt to me 3 times in an hour at one point.

Now back to my girlfriend.......

I actually saw her hit a dealt 4OAK deuces 12 times multiplier 4 times and heard her yell out for the same hit another 3 times. She also hit 5OAK with deuces more times than I can remember.

Now I've been on a heater on JOB at all sorts of coin in above nickles but never ever anything like that, in fact I've never ever hit the 4OAK like I did when she got me into the nickle machines.

I've been rolling this around in my head for the last 24 hrs and it still doesn't make any sense to me.

Was it the game that gave her deuces? Was it a nickle machine? Was it just wild ass luck? I dunno but there's got to be something to it.

11. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. I think your GF was just on a hot streak. Occasionally I'll go to nickel machines and play DW bonus. It doesn't seem to do any better for me than playing quarters.

12. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Considering Nevada state law (and many other states), I agree. The machine is supposed to split random cards at you at all times. Just a hot streak, and fortunately it sounds like she playing the right game at the right time. If she hits 4 natural Aces a lot while playing DW, she gets terribly disappointing wins instead. It's the biggest thing that frustrates me about deuces.

And FYI, when playing Full-pay deuces wild, 4 deuces should come up about 1 in 4909. Compare that to DDB (with or without kicker), 4 Aces should come up about 1 in 4883. This assumes optimal play.

Now playing Ultimate X, I would expect the optimal probability for 4 Deuces or 4 Aces (depending on whatever game you played) to be somewhat lower since you have an incentive to make "middle of the road" hands that have large multipliers for the next hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.